PDA

View Full Version : Parker Lake Eastern Sierra's??

NRJohn
09-13-2009, 05:00 AM
Would like to fish for some brookies with my 7 year old daughter. How far of a hike is it? Are there any other lakes in the area that you can drive to and fish for brooks? Thanks.

Ikan_Mas
09-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Would like to help. Could you give us a clue as to where it is? There's a lot of territory there.

NRJohn
09-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Parker is near Grant (June Loop) via dirt road. There is another lake called Walker in the general area as well. Would like to find out how far of a hike. I used Google Earth and you can see the dirt road leading to both lakes. Pretty cool. Just wish it gave more info.

Captain Compassion
09-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I've been up that road as far as a small pond but no further. Sorry.

CC

hopperdan82
09-13-2009, 11:35 AM
parker is a tough lake to fish... you really need to float tube it to get to the brooks and browns. with that said the hike isn't to bad. it took me with all of my gear about 80 minutes to get back there. honestly i would say its a moderate trail. it's not easy thats for sure. if you want to go on a hike for brookies with you daughter i would go out of South Lake. The fish are more readily caught but, the hike is just as tough. When you drive to South Lake you pass the launch and the road ends at the trail head. From there it's about an hour or so of easier moderate hiking to Mary Louise lake. If your going to go I'd recommend using the fly/bubble with almost any dry fly or a hopper. If that is still too much drive past the June lake loop and take Virginia Lakes road. The big lake that the road ends at has brooks, browns and rainbows in it. From there you can take the trail to Blue lake. Its about 15 minutes. That lake is full of brooks. Use the same method there. I hope that helps. These are the areas I roam so let me know if you need more help.

hopperdan82
09-13-2009, 12:13 PM
just found it. Parker Lake is 2.75 miles one way. I was thinking about it and I forgot to mention a few more places. Before you get to Lee Vining you can take Tioga Pass. Once you get to the top you come to Lake Ellery. It has brooks and 'bows in it. Not far past that is Tioga Lake and that too has 'bows and brookies in it. Both of these lakes you can drive up to, park and fish. While your up there you could also take Saddlebag road which takes you to Saddlebag Lake. Brooks and rainbows. If your still feeling like hiking take the water taxi to the other side of Saddlebag and that puts you in the 20 lakes basin. Almost every lake and tarn there has brookies in it. The people that run the operation there can turn you on to the lakes that are putting out. Same method for out there, fly/bubble. They are all very easy, short hikes. Please whatever and wherever you go remember... Pack it in, pack it out!

NRJohn
09-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Great info thanks! I've fished Ellery and Saddlebag but never caught a brook there. Lots of rainbows. Was even thinking about taking the water taxi too as one option. They allow dogs?

So Blue Lake is up by Virginia Lakes? That might be worth looking into as well.

Going to have to rethink Parker. No pontoon. Plus almost 6 mile r.t. won't make my daughter to happy. Best to keep it simple.

Again thanks for the info. Looking to head up there Friday night unless I head out for tuna. Tuna always has priority. ;D

hopperdan82
09-13-2009, 03:35 PM
the brookies that i have caught in Saddlebag were deep. always on crawlers. last time i was in 20 lakes they did allow dogs. i'd call ahead to check.
as for the Virginia lake chain we always catch brookies up there. in the big lake they are real deep but the rest of the lakes are full of them. from the big lake you can reach 4 lakes that take less than 45min to get to. heck i even took my 2 year old son to Blue so he could throw rocks while i ripped their lips off with wolly buggers... ;D

Jfitalia
09-13-2009, 04:39 PM
A really easy hike is a small lake behind rock creek lake. Just drive to the back of the lake where the stream comes in and follow the stream back for about 2 miles or so. The hike is flat ground and there is a small trail. This would be perfect and very easy for you and your daughter and I caught a ton of small browns and some brookies in there on small gold panther martins or anything else i threw.

Good Luck! :)

NRJohn
09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Again thanks for the info. Heading up there tonight. Probably start above Virginia and hike back in. Sunday most likely Ellery. Hope to have some pics to post.

Tuna going off but things didn't work out. Maybe next week. :)

kingman65
09-18-2009, 09:45 AM
NRJohn look forward to ur post about trip! Went there in Aug., beautiful area, going again in Oct to fish Summit lake which is up and over the pass @ Virginia Lake Trail. I was wondering if anyone has fish Summit Lake, how's the weather at that time of yr, want to stay 3 nights! PM justforafewhours cause he sounds very knowledgable about the area, but haven't heard from him. Good Luck NRJohn.