PDA

View Full Version : Lake Almanor

stagger_lee
09-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Going to Lake Almanor in two weeks for a couple of days. I have never fished there before so any advice on what and where would be very helpful* :) [smiley=worm.gif]

trackingsalmon
09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I fished there last week and found the small needlefish 30 feet down were getting the best bites. live bait such as crickets and meal worms are really good for still fishing. Troll the east shore from the damn to dorado inn hotel. I hooked a 5 pound rainbow just further north of there in front of hamilton branch.

tonyscog3
09-10-2009, 04:48 AM
good report. ive had some good trips still fishing there, it can be hit or miss. good to hear there catching fish out there, i may be hitting it up here in october

tahoe_bob
09-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Try red salmon eggs in about 15' of water in Big Springs.

Fishing_Fanatic
09-12-2009, 04:37 AM
Stagger Joe,

We will be there from the 17th thru the 24th.
When you get into town, go to Chester and go to the Sports Nut - sporting goods store. They put out a newsletter each week with a fishing report. Talk to them also for advice. Buy a $2 map of the lake and also pick up (free) a copy of the Almanor fishing association yearly newsletter. It also has a map in it with best locations and techniques listed...

Also, talk to others wherever you are staying and ask them what has been working recently.. (spots, techniques, etc).

Typically, in fall, you should be bait-fishing off of the bottom near springs. Look on the map for locations. Try crickets/mealworm combo floated off of the bottom. You can also jig with a white mini-gitzit near springs. Ask at the Sports nut and they will set you up with all the right stuff.

Trolling with a naked crawler is good or just behind a dodger. (slower speeds) If you troll with lures, try red speedy shiners or red hummdingers fished FAST.... 3 mph or more. early in the morning.. This is more of a reaction bite... if bait fishing is not working try this.

Good luck!

stagger_lee
09-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the info y'all ! It will be two and a half weeks or so before we head up that way but we will sure give it a go :) Thanks again, I'll let you know the results, failure or sucess ::)

CRABBY
09-12-2009, 06:24 AM
WOW,good info guys,glad to see some reponse,I'm going back to LGV,so I can't help,good luck stagger lee! Don