PDA

View Full Version : Re: South bay boat ramp closest to Los Banos question.

Big_Daddy_Whaler
10-13-2009, 01:51 PM
The closest ramp is redwood city or san leandro at marina ave. exit. Or you could go up to coyote point or oyster point.

Waterworks
10-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks Big Daddy Whaler. I know it gets windy out there sometimes. I have a small Boston Whaler and a 17.5 ft Scout boat. The gas mileage on pulling the small boat is like night and day. If they can windsurf out there I suppose a 13'4" Whaler can survive for awhile.

cptdarel
10-13-2009, 06:50 PM
have you thought about Elkhorn slough at Moss Landing? check the regs, the slough holds it's share of Leopards.

ric1ric
10-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Get on the water early and you should be good till around noon before the wind kicks in

Waterworks
10-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks Captdarel,

It is 73 miles from Los Banos. I appreciate it. I bet I could do a shoreline day instead of boat at Elkhorn Slough.
Ric,I will go early thanks.

Big_Daddy_Whaler
10-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Your best bet with a 13' whaler is launch out of oyster point. Head up to candlestick point. The ride from the ramp to candlestick is quick and easy in a 13'. Made many runs like that years ago in my fisrt whaler. You can fish from there all the way back to genetech/ bfi dumps. Or drop me a line I have lots of room. They don't call me big daddy whaler cause I have a montauk. 25 outrage

Waterworks
10-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks. You've got the investment there. Pretty nice.

C_Johnson
10-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Depends on what you want to fish for. Redwood City is definitely your closest....if you head south from RWC you should be fine. Most of your waters in the Bay should start getting nice until about March (not including storms/wind warnings). Summer afternoon winds should start laying down. San Mateo bridge and San Bruno Shoals are good producers (sturgeon, halibut). Dumbarton and RR trestle, #18, etc. are all good too if you want to target sturgeon, leopards, rays, king fish, and an occasional striper (been years since I've seen/landing any further down south tho).

Coyote and OP are nice but much farther drive.

Again, just depends on what you're targeting. Your boat should be fine (especially this time of the year) for running in the Bay...just know your limitations and pay attention to any winds should they start to come up.

Waterworks
10-16-2009, 09:20 AM
How do I know when I am getting too far south? Is it just common sense and depth finder that keeps me out of shallow water (especially if the tide is moving out)?

C_Johnson
10-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Once you get past the RR trestle follow your depth finder and/or channel markers (red/green buoys) and you can easily make your way into the deep deep south....but then again you can anchor anywhere after the channel marker and still do fine too. Trying to run down the middle of the water down south though can find yourself in a sandbar or too.......Bottom line - if you head that far south....really pay attention to your depth finder and chartplotter....but the fishing down there for the dinos can be great!!!!