PDA

View Full Version : Huntington, Shaver

M-hawk
06-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Fished Shaver Tuesday afternoon [clear, warm] and it was slow ... 3 small rainbows at Tunnel Creek area.

Fished Huntington Wednesday [cloudy, windy, sprinkles, cold] for about 3 hours with numerous hits and nine fish boated. Four guys, three lines out (two leadcore, one flatline), I drove the boat and did not fish.

Fished huntington on Thursday [clear, windy]] for about 3 hours again, and this time I drove and fished. Three guys, leadcore and we put 22 fish in the boat. We culled for size and kept 15. Looked like this years planters with some a little larger that others (early plants?). Three colors, holographic silver dodger and a Sepps grub. Green, translucent pink, and black all worked. Took two on a flatlined white Roostertail spinner.

bretmoua
06-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Awesome fishing out there. I hear bigger fish were coming out of Courtright. Have you tried that lake?

M-hawk
06-07-2009, 08:20 PM
No. Will try some flyfishing on Dinky Creek next week and then head for Flathead Lake, Montana on the 16th. Dinky is not what it used to be (40+ years ago) but it still is a beautiful stream to flyfish.

kgphotos@pacbell.n
06-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey M-Hawk what was Dinkey like 40 years ago? I stopped by there last week on the way home from Wishon and threw out a wet fly for a few minutes. I caught a little 3 incher that I launched out of the water when I set the hook. I can still picture the poor little guy sailing past me like a back cast. Luckily he landed in the water and came off. I bet he won't ever hit a wet fly again. ;D
KG

fshdady
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
M-Hawk

My grandfather and his brother both used to have a houses lakefront on Flathead lake. the first kokanee I ever caught was at Flathead trolling with blades and white corn. We caught some really big Macks trolling red/white T-50 flatfish with steel line bouncing the bottom. I hope you have an awesome trip. Someday I hope to make a trip back to Flathead. Send me a PM about your trip if you could. Hearing about Flathead brings back some great memories fishing with my very special Grandpa who passed away 17 years ago

Thanks Mike

M-hawk
06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Geez! I,m old enough to be talking about fishing 40+ years ago! Seems like yesterday. First encounter with Dinky was in high school [ so this is actually 52 years ago!]when I helped build a cabin at the girl scout camp. I could handle the flyrod reasonably well at the time and caught thirty-some trout in a morning's fishing. I remember it well because my friend's dad responded to my report with the following response. "Bull s---t! Where are they? They don't count if you can't see them." I had kept several nice ones for us to eat on the first day of our 3 day working / fishing trip. He was mostly teasing, but numbers near that were not uncommon for a good fly fisherman, especially if you were willing to walk a ways from the road. Brown trout and wild ranbows were common. They hit just about anything you threw with a little skill. It was a great place to take beginer flyfishers. Cascading water and hungry trout almost guaranteed catching a few fish if they could keep their fly out of the willows and pine trees.

Today browns are rare and most of the fish are plants, and seem to be scarce. The stream has not changed much and the main pools an runs are still recognizable, but just do not give up the fish they used to. I see a lot more fishermen on the stream now when I occasionally fish it, than I did 40 years ago. In my college years I used to drive up after work as often as I could.

As I noticed the fishery declining my rule became ... browns go back, wild rainbows go back, eat the planters.

I am sure there are others that can relate similar stories about other California streams.