PDA

View Full Version : Caples or Silver from the shore

baj2k
05-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi.. I'm new... read a lot of posts and this is a great place. I have a few questions about Caples and Silver if I may. It seems that most of the reports here are from boaters trolling these two lake. And based on the pictures I can see why. I unfortunately don't have a boat.

So... how's the shore fishing on these lakes? Without giving up your "best spot" :) we're is a good spot to fish on either lake and what are the fishing biting on?

Any other good spots for the boatless angler in that area?

Last question, coming from Roseville and using Morman Emigrant Trail road about how long would it take to get to Silver Lake?

Float_N_Fish
05-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Welcome aboard! *Both lakes are good shore producers near the dams...and many times the bankers out fish the boaters, good luck. *

tinytrout
05-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Caples has always been good from shore. And with all the recent plants it should be great.
Tiny

Shoreman
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Both lakes are good. Try Power Bait or floating worms. I've fished at Fraizer Point picnic area at Silver and caught trout. I've fished on the sandy side of the spillway at Caples and caught trout. Not sure how Caples will play out this year, but with the plants, should be OK. You might also turn right on 88 and go to Bear River. Fish on this side of the dam. Can always check my blog and see what's biting.
http://shoretroutfishing.blogspot.com/

Captain Compassion
05-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Silver is ok from the shore. Caples is better. Red Lake 5 miles east of Caples over the pass can be excellent if you cast lures or jigs and are willing to walk a bit.

CC

cgagex3
05-27-2009, 03:27 PM
baj2k,
Welcome from out of the lurkers shadows. Sliver from Roseville is only 87 miles but figure on 2 to 2 1/2 hrs of drive time. I am the exact same miles from Galt and that is the morning average.
Both are good bankers, I prefer Caples. Either corner of the dam but don't forget the spillway end too. Walk out to the end of the big rock outcropping on the street side or park in the spillway lot and walk around a little ways down the opposite side of the shoreline (just ask troutslayer9 about her last trip there).
And as CC said Red shouldn't be missed. For pure beauty wait a couple of weeks and hit up Woods Lake after the road clears up of snow.
Look for some of us there along 88, not an unusual sight this time of year.

CG

fisherman25
05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Hey Baj2k, Silver Lake is about 35-40 minutes From the bottom of M.E.T. Good luck fishin!

fat_fish
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
fish both from the darns and spillways...also try red for some brookies...little crappie jigs work well. welcome to the boards as well.

ff

baj2k
05-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow, thanks for all the good advise. I haven't been up 88 since the 80's. Camped at Woods lake... beautiful place around 9000' elevation if I remember correctly. The reason we stopped at Woods Lake was that's near where the gate closing the road was. That was probably end of May / early June of '82 or '83.

Has anyone ever had any luck with J-8 Deep Diving Rainbow Rapala's from shore? Or is that strictly a trolling setup. I have have a a few J-9 Rapala's Jointed Floaters too... Waste of time?

Anyway, if you're fishing one of these spots tomorrow and you see a 6'2" 250lbs blonde dude with a beard who obviously has no clue what he's doing that would be me. ;D

Stop by and say "hello" my name's "Barry". 8-)

Mackattack
05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Has anyone ever had any luck with J-8 Deep Diving Rainbow Rapala's from shore? Or is that strictly a trolling setup. I have have a a few J-9 Rapala's Jointed Floaters too... Waste of time?
Only if you want really big fish rookie(and welcome to the boards). I caught my 10 lb brown in the Truckee with a J7 rap.

Mackattack

PapaGreg
05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
:)Funny how times change, we used to Woods as a base camp for deer hunting, last time I went there to hunt, people looked at me like a "survivalist" strange.

Anyway, welcome to the Sniffer, lots of good people and info here.

Jetspray
05-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Baj2k (Barry) welcome to the boards. They will be stocking Caples and Silver a bunch for a few weeks. Caples does have some large holdovers and so does Silver. Give'em both a try.....Jetspray

TJ_Perkins
05-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Barry, I'm heading up that direction tomorrow also for my first time ever. If you see a mazda tribute or a guy in a st louis cardinals hat say hi we can compare notes on what we don't know. Good luck

Captain Compassion
05-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Look for the big black 95 4Runner and a mature gentleman wearing a Dodger hat.

CC

Jetspray
05-27-2009, 07:35 PM
CC don't forget that he has to look for the stars on that vehicle and he will connect with a fellow sniffer.....Jetspray

baj2k
05-27-2009, 07:54 PM
I'll look for you both. I'll be driving the wife's Dark Blue RX330 SUV. I'll be wearing a worn-out old black cap a dark blue shirt and a name tag that says "Hello I'm Barry..." ;D

p.s. Cardinals & Dodgers... that should be interesting ;)