PDA

View Full Version : Official April 2009 Amador thread.

RonM
04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Here's April's thread....

dinos marine
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
so went out today and caught limits! 5 trout (largest was 12 pounds), for a 40 pound stringer. 5 bass largest went 9 pounds, 10 catfish, 25 crappie, 25 bluegills.

fishing was non stop action!!! i caught all the fish fishing with wally world canadien crawlers, soaked in lindsey's green worm dye. the fish just would not leave the poles alone!!! all fish caught on the surface trolling, or otw @ 10 - 25 feet deep.

i did catch alot of fish on donut holes, glazed variety.

HAH APRIL FOOLS!!!! ;D

MontanaN8V
04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Never pulled a single prank today. Not like me. Should have. Oh well, there is always tomorrow,nobody will be expecting it.

troutbum20
04-02-2009, 09:30 AM
So this is my first post but i have met plenty of Sniffers on here already.Captain Compassion, Hunkfisher, HogHunter YAkmotor Bowmasta just to name a few.So for the past 3 months i have been to Amador every Wednesday or Thursday and so i decided to finally post my report for all of you. So woke up yesterday and headed for Amador. Got to the lake at 7 and headed to my faavorite spot at the corner of the damn. Yes this is the so called "combat fishing"zone but it is also where i always get a limit no matter what. The fishing wasnt hot but it was def a steady bite. I like to Mini Jig for these fish when the sun hits the water. It seems that when bait and lures dnt work, mini jigs always will. I sit and used my polarized and when the school would come by i tossed out my white mini jig and they hammer it! Caught 18 fish biggest going 5.2 The only problem is people come running to fish right beside me cuz thats where they think the fish are. lol i tried to explain that the fish are all over but to no prevail. oh well :-?All fish were caught on Berkely Power Tube in white and on White and Orange Stingers. will be back out 2marrow and next week.

Captain Compassion
04-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the Sniffer CRC. See you up on 88 this year?

CC

troutbum20
04-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Off to Amador 2marrow is anyone else coming out? look for the little white toyota and ill be on the corner of the damn in my cowboy hat slinging mini jigs! ;) ;D

BIG_ONE
04-02-2009, 11:42 AM
save some fish for me this time!!! ;D

ripinlips09
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey guys fished amadore today hit the water at 6:30.First fish on at 7:30 lost at the boat.The rest of the day was slow.Headed back to the ramp at 1:30 and naild a nice 5.5pound bow that we managed to get in the boat.Both fish hit wedding rings green and black, and green and pink with sling blade.Slow day but it was fishing and I will fill the dinner plate to night.

hoghunter3
04-02-2009, 04:36 PM
I was out there today as well. In fact I think I saw you and your buddy lose that fish at the boat. It looked like a pretty a pretty good one as well.

Wish I had know you were a "sniffer".

PS I'll post a little later

BIG_ONE
04-02-2009, 06:02 PM
could of won that derby with that 5.5 ;D

hoghunter3
04-03-2009, 06:58 AM
I ran up yesterday and fished solo between 7 AM and 1:30 PM. Bite continues to be very slow. Fished "HogHunter style" in the AM (2 feet off the bank) with no luck. Switched over to conventional and managed to catch 4 (with only 5 bites) All fish between 2.5 and 3 pounds and caught on the surface.

PS Bruce says he plans to plant until mid May or until morning surface temp hit's 73 degrees. At 61.5 yesterday

hunkfisher
04-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Looks like the season is winding down compadres better get em while there HOT!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

ripinlips09
04-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Whats up I was marking fish all day at 40 and 50foot,I even droped the downrigger but no hits.We fished the top most of the day but i wounder why no one was useing downriggers.Hoghunter were you the boat coming our way when we lost the fish.Ill be back out monday and thursday my fishing days.

superT
04-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Lips09, My guess is that the fish you're marking aren't trout. I've seen them too. Could be were seeing suspended bass or maybe crappie.

dinos marine
04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
they are the mystery fish of the lake. i too have seen them. i did drift fish the larger schools, and picked up bass mostly. did this two weeks ago, we drifted for about 3 hours, then got tired of the green trout.
weird about the lake, it seems that there are fish, just not wanting to bite. maybe the water isnt conditioned right?
i would like to know where all the hold overs end up? at 90k pounds of plants, you would think the fish would all over the place, like you could be catching em on bare hooks????? wassup?
gonna have to give it try maybe next week.
tight lines

fat_fish
04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
dino they all die when the water gets too warm...that's why they stop planting in may. all of those fish are bass and crappie with some cats.

ff

dinos marine
04-03-2009, 06:50 PM
ff,
no way...... they die off??? the lake is so deep, i thought they would chow down on the shad, and get nice and plump for the summer season/fall. too bad, what a waste. so the moral of the story? if fishing at amador, eat em all cuz they aint gonna last ;D

but i have seen some native looking fish caught. they have small heads, white fins, really nice colors, either in the spots or the silver sheen. nice full tail. meat was very orange/red. do these come from the jackson creek area???

THERE IS THAT MANY BASS,CRAPPIE,CATS in the lake????? wowwwww [smiley=yikes.gif]

fat_fish
04-03-2009, 06:55 PM
it's a great bass lake and those other fish are the dfg stockers...we got one that was 17" and looked sooo pretty.

ff

fishpeddler1
04-04-2009, 03:09 PM
anybody have a downrigger camera that they can troll through the deeper schools and settle this mystery once and for all? how about it Yak? wanna double bag your set up and lower it down there for us? ;D

MontanaN8V
04-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I have an underwater camera with 75' of cable, problem will be controlling the direction of the camera. I guess that would not matter that much if it is a large school of fish. I have never tried it that deep, but have done it in ten to fifteen feet of water, clarity becomes an issue too.

Ugbomb
04-04-2009, 08:09 PM
That would be soooooooooo freaking cool!!! Please someone do this!!!!!!!!! :D :D

YakMotor
04-05-2009, 01:32 AM
I've had some SCUBA dive experience so I know a bit about visibility at different depths with considerations of water clarity and light fall off. *I've also had some experience using a small underwater "lipstick" camera equipped with LED lights.

In pristine crystal clear "Jacques Cousteau" filming waters images can be successfully captured at impressive depths and distances. *In the "pea soup" of Amador even at it's cleanest I don't think one of those downrigger cameras would "see" more than a foot or two at 10' depth. *Light at 50', I'm pretty sure, would be very dim.

The time I tried to use the lipstick camera's LEDs in dark delta water they made visibility worse by reflecting the light back off particles in the water blinding the lens. *Kind of like highbeam headlights in fog. *Since the LEDs turned on with the camera when power was supplied I found I got better results after opening the case and disconnecting the LED circuit. *My recollection is that the camera was worthless getting a usable images at distance more than 18 inches at a depth of 8 to 12'. *This also was in current, but not sure if that would make a difference.

I'm not saying it'd be impossible to learn something putting a camera down, but my guess would be unless the fish came within three inches of the lens you wouldn't see a thing in Amador at 50'.

When I first used my fishfinder in the lake I thought it'd gone wacko. *Fish EVERYWHERE in schools, groups, and singles at many different sizes and depths. *I couldn't believe it! *What the HECK are they ... those lockjaws that lurk in Lake Amador! *Surely they must eat something? *.... Unless ... *unless they are maybe just drifting suspended alien eggs something like in the movie "Cocoon." *http://planetsmilies.net/alien-smiley-141.gif (http://planetsmilies.net) *http://planetsmilies.net/alien-smiley-119.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

MontanaN8V
04-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Yak, what are you doing up this late? You should be in bed getting rest to take pictures for us. I have to live vicariously through the lens of your camera for the time being!

ripinlips09
04-05-2009, 02:10 PM
hey guys ill be at amadore tomorrow who will be there.Ill be on the radio if your there hit me up ch69.ill be in 12ft klamath 9.8hp nissan.See ya and fish on.

BIG_ONE
04-05-2009, 02:19 PM
throw every single bait you can...

minnows, shad, sardine, chicken livers, power bait, power egg, crawdad, waxworm, red worm...what ever you can name off from your head.

I guaranteed those schoolies has to hit one of these bait for sure. ;D

dinos marine
04-05-2009, 07:43 PM
so who has the live minnows close by?

BIG_ONE
04-06-2009, 03:07 PM
now is anything going on in amador, when is the last plant??? is the lake still chocolate milk or is it nice and green now?

Hows the shad, is it swarming the fishing dock yet??? thanks in advance, planning to head out there somewhere this week...

8-)

ripinlips09
04-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey big one I went out to Amadore monday.Left the boat ramp at 630 droped my line in with a half ounce weight with a 3foot leader and black and green wedding ring.Over on one of the boat docks there was a fur bag I went to take a pic and my pole went off,not even in the water for a minute and boated a 17inch 2 pound fish.Trolled more and landed another 2 pound fish on same set up only with a fire tiger needle fish at 730.Trolled the rest of the day for not even a bite.The water is still muddy surface temp at 60 in morrning and 65 at 230.It was slow but fishing no sniffers that i saw had the radio on but no one talken.when you going out big one I may go thursday till then fish on.

fat_fish
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
thinkin of givin the pond, oops lake now, a try either tomorrow or thurs...any 1 else gonna b there?

ff

hunkfisher
04-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Some of those fish make it through the summer, not all but some of those fish do make it Bob told us at the first snifferfest there about 3 years ago that when they had the derby going they had a fish caught that was planted with a tag from a derby 2 years prior, those fish can live down there, but after a year in the lake they become real accustomed to shad and arent as easily caught like the fish that are planted weekly.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

SuperDave
04-07-2009, 02:43 PM
So how would the Amador faithful sum it up? Another poor year by Amador standards? I didn't get out there much at all this year and what little I stayed up with the threads, it appeared worse than last year? How are you guys rating this season?

ripinlips09
04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Iwent three times this year and no were as good as prior years but the fish our still huge.Fat fish I mite go thursday still up in the air.

BIG_ONE
04-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Some of those fish make it through the summer, not all but some of those fish do make it Bob told us at the first snifferfest there about 3 years ago that when they had the derby going they had a fish caught that was planted with a tag from a derby 2 years prior, those fish can live down there, but after a year in the lake they become real accustomed to shad and arent as easily caught like the fish that are planted weekly.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

I've noticed that, last year I did catch a few while using shad for crappie...for some reason, trout seems to hit it.

8-)

dinos marine
04-07-2009, 04:12 PM
so now do we run dr's and rolled shad??

hunkfisher
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
so now do we run dr's and rolled shad??

Amador faithful have tried time and again but for some reason no takers..... keep to the traditional gear right now.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

fishingfan
04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
sorry for the late report. fished the other night from 6PM to 11PM. missed a few hits here and there. managed to take home 3. all caught on powerbait under a bobber. the water is still really murky and the wind is a killer. no crappie yet either...

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8/006dxw.th.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=006dxw.jpg)

hoghunter3
04-07-2009, 06:35 PM
So how would the Amador faithful sum it up? *Another poor year by Amador standards? *I didn't get out there much at all this year and what little I stayed up with the threads, it appeared worse than last year? *How are you guys rating this season?

I'd have to agree Dave. It's been the least productive since I've been keeping a log. I averaged 7.2 (total) in the boat per trip which was just about 1/3 less than last year and less than half of the year before that.

Also the largest in the boat was just over 8 pounds and only had 2 over 8 all season. Clearly less than the last few years

Paddleman and I are going out tomorrow to see if we can do better than that

MontanaN8V
04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
This is the first year my family has fished Amador, I agree we did not catch a lot of fish, but I have to say, there were some great memories made this fall/spring fishing the pond with the kids.

freon
04-08-2009, 06:53 AM
In all the years I have been fishing this lake, this was the worst. But it has been the worst in the amount of water in the lake as well. I dont keep a log like HH3, but I do know that I didnt get any real pigs this year and that used to be a rarity to not get one. This lake hasnt pumped out a ten pounder in quite a while, but with them switching back to their tried and true fish which are a lot tougher (they live nearly all day on a stringer) I think we will be back into some good fish soon, sooner if we get more water :o
there are indeed holdover fish and I have seen an old tag ;)
I sure do wish he would start that derby again too :(

hunkfisher
04-08-2009, 07:39 AM
With this cooler weather coming in and more water coming from Pardee I would think this fishing would turn on like Freon is stating, however based off the reports ive readfrom the guys who taught me alot about this place a few years back and my two trips to the pond it was bad, worse than last year, but I think the water and the fact they planted about 3K per week instead of the usual 5K has something todo with it as well. Around Christmas time theres usually 80 to 90K in the lake this year only 40K. For whatever reason they need to get back to the old ways otherwise we can expect more of the same :(

Brad "Hunkfisher"

outdoorsman
04-08-2009, 08:33 AM
The first weekend they stocked it I fished for trout for all of 30 minutes and nailed 4 trout to 3lbs on flies. I thought, this is gonna be a good year. Not! Slow for me.

fishpeddler1
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Had the day off.

Had the boat loaded.

Had to look at the weather report.

Had to BELIEVE the weather report.

Had to finish my taxes....

See ya out there another day :(

ifish4fun
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
This year by far was the worst season of fishing at amador. I got 1 fish over 7 lbs and that was it. My numbers are down I only averaged 3 fish a trip and 2 times skunked. With the prices he charges to fish and only planting 3,000 pounds of fish or less a week , the fishing will continue to be below normal. I am not sure i belive those numbers posted about how many pounds of fish they planted this year. Bob told me he was down 30% this year on people fishing. Factor that into the equation and you would think there would be plenty of fish to catch.

BIG_ONE
04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
well, can't expect anything now with most of the fish being fished back in november, december, and jan.

;D

PapaGreg
04-08-2009, 04:26 PM
:)Don't know about the fishing there, they are too expensive for me, along with the riff-raff, (sniffers excluded), but I traveled the road from pardee after catching an easy limit today.

There is a LOT of water being released to Amador, hope that will help the fishing situation there.

BIG_ONE
04-08-2009, 05:21 PM
:)Don't know about the fishing there, they are too expensive for me, along with the riff-raff, (sniffers excluded), but I traveled the road from pardee after catching an easy limit today.

There is a LOT of water being released to Amador, hope that will help the fishing situation there.

water being released to amador, that might explain why its so muddy there for so long... :(

bobcatken
04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I've only been bank fishing at Amador the past 3 seasons. *I caught a bunch of fish that first year. *Last year I only caught a handful and could barely scratch out limits. *This year I only went to Amador on New Year's Day and only caught 2 trout. *I don't know if I'll be going next week for my usual Spring Break Amador day trip.

As prices everywhere and production costs have probably increased, I doubt it is reasonable for me to expect the Lockharts to stock the lake with the numbers they have in the past without increasing their already high fees. *I'm curious to know when was the last time fees were raised at this lake. * :-? *

If fees were raised and the trout were stocked in numbers similar to the past, would people continue to visit Amador?

RonM
04-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Yeah Bruce said they were releasing enough out of Pardee to raise Amador about 10ft.

fishpeddler1
04-09-2009, 08:22 AM
so is the lake level coming up slow or fast? and how is the color? it would sure be nice to get a full lake this year to help out next years action...

hoghunter3
04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Good news is the level is rising fast! Up about 5 feet from last week. Has to be due to dumping water from Pardee. Water is now higher than high water mark from last year.

Bad news is I think it shut down the bite. Lots of fish in the lake (dropped 5000 pounds this week)

Went out with Paddleman yesterday. We had a great bite early then it totally shut down after 9 AM. We only managed 3 in the boat but we should have had 3 times that many. Lots of swings and misses and break offs. Had a great time however with very few boast on the lake

Here's our largest, caught by Chris

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4401.jpg

CHICKFISHING58
04-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Nice looking fish :)

freon
04-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Very nice fish Chris :D
Glad to hear that they put a lot of fish in there ;)

Lots of swings and misses and break offs.

Guess we know whos leader material you two were using ;) ;D

fat_fish
04-09-2009, 03:06 PM
i was gonna go today but opted for striper...good thing i finally got a keeper.

ff

YakMotor
04-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Here's some pics from this past weekend. *Lots of family activity. *I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what was going on except when I'd hear a boat at high speed.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3640/dadnkidflatalum854.jpg

The guy here on the spillway has got one for his stringer.
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4199/Spillwayfish908.jpg

These guys on Green Star Point had at least a couple. Thru my spotting scope I could see this one was bigger than what it looks like in the pic.
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/985/GSPfish719.jpg

These folks had a fish on, but not sure if it was landed. *As they drifted behind bushes that block my view I could see Dad trying to untangle line from around the prop.
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3263/Familylandsfish744.jpg

This one's at least three pounds.
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/8999/TroutinBrnboatnet816.jpg

You can't see it in this downsized photo, but the expression on the little girl's face is "priceless!"
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6411/Pramplaneswkids805.jpg

One of the not so tiny boats on the lake this weekend.
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5899/Rinnellstriper857.jpg

Yup, saw Wednesday they'd up the poundage this week.
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4039/Plandsign171.jpg

Tuesday afternoon after the crowd around the plant tube and spillway had left I spotted this couple. *Not a rod in sight ... so I guess they're after butterflies?
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5508/Netcouplev2936.jpg

Wednesday about noon a lone cloud decided to let loose right over Amador. *I checked radar on the computer and saw it was all alone. *In 15 minutes it was gone and the sun came out.
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/1192/Rainshowerboat944.jpg

Coming back from a trip to town I stopped on top of the dam to shoot these.
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/8492/Fromdamnorth192.jpg

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6302/Fishdockscenic016.jpg

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/5924/Trouttonet993.jpg

I was in Sacramento Tuesday afternoon when I was treated to one of the most intense rainbows I've ever seen. *Wish I was in a more scenic shooting spot. *I could only grab a few out my car window. *I cropped and resized it in Photoshop and balanced and enhanced the color, but the original intensity isn't too much different than this. *Really amazing double rainbow.
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6315/Neonrainbow166.jpg

The water right now looks kind of like Kona coffee with cream. *Since it turned that way long after runoff from our last good rain I'd guessed it had to be from water coming from Pardee. *The gush of the diversion must have stirred up dirt in that short canyon. *Brown or not the lake is looking much better the closer it gets to full. *10 to 12 feet would do it, but I think that's wishful thinking. *My recollection from last year is that water from Pardee held the level for quite some time right about where it is now.

Got my rain gauge sensor cleaned and working again after Tuesday's rain which I'd guess at about 1/2" *Today it's been a just a drizzle with less than 1/10 of an inch showing.

Blktailhunter
04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Nice Pics Yak. I cringe every time I see some guy in a small boat going full speed and none of the kids wearing a PFD. A tragedy in the making. :(

Blktailhunter
04-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Yak posted:

Tuesday afternoon after the crowd around the plant tube and spillway had left I spotted this couple. *Not a rod in sight ... so I guess they're after butterflies?

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5508/Netcouplev2936.jpg

You are being too nice. *I think that is called poaching..

2.00. Fishing Methods--General.
(a) All fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters which regulations provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special regulations for exceptions.*
(b) Snagging is prohibited. Snagging is defined as impaling or attempting to impale a fish in any part of its body other than the mouth by use of a hook, hooks, gaff, or other mechanical implement. This definition does not include activities otherwise authorized under these regulations for the lawful use of a gaff, bow and arrow, or spear.
(c) It is unlawful to kill, or retain in possession any fish which has not voluntarily taken the bait or artificial lure in its mouth. Any fish not taken pursuant to these regulations, shall be released immediately back into the water.

fat_fish
04-09-2009, 04:36 PM
yak...i wish you would blow up that photo to show the # on the side of the boat and send to dfg. please. or pm me and i'll send it. i'm not sure if they will get a ticket since no fish showing, but they deserve one. just a thought.

ff

BIG_ONE
04-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Ehh...maybe their fishing pole is folded inside their boat and is on the bottom floor by their feet? who knows. It can be anything. I wouldn't rush up in a situation like that, you can be in a lot of trouble yourself.

:P

fat_fish
04-09-2009, 06:11 PM
yeah that's true, what if he was organizing and putting the net away?

ff

ZZfish
04-09-2009, 06:35 PM
fished Amador today, a bit of rain & drizzel but overall very nice. Few bankers, fewer boats - I think I counted about 5 other boats all day. Put 5 in the box, lost 2 at the boat. Several LDR's. Largest about 3 lbs. All on rapalas. Water is 61 degrees & not clear. The otters were out in full force and saw the bald eagles looking for dinner. Very peaceful day !

YakMotor
04-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I watched them for awhile and didn't see them catch anything, but also never saw 'em look up either.

I was curious about current regulations so I looked them up too. It's been awhile since I looked at the whole "booklet" but since downloaded it as a .PDF I took a quick cruise through it. I was surprised at the detailed chart on safe fish consumption.

Oh, I also noticed the regs says it's illegal to keep your caught trout alive either on a stringer or in an onboard tank.

I also wonder what the heck prompted regulations against "Computer Assisted Remote Fishing" ... has anyone heard of this?

fishingfan
04-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Went on a late night outting with my brother last night. I posted up a report in the Trout, Panfish and Bass boards. Suprisingly, we did really well... These are just a few of the ones we caught. Picture explains it all. ;D

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/369/011q.th.jpg (http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=011q.jpg)

The trout was bigger then my bass... :o

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5773/best.th.jpg (http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=best.jpg)
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9162/troutnbass.th.jpg (http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=troutnbass.jpg)

fishingfan
04-10-2009, 07:34 PM
heading out there right now to do a little night fishing. anyone else? ;D

will post a report when i get back... might report sunday night. because right after amador, im making the drive back to the sacramento river to do an all day and half night striper fishing. ;D :D :D :D

so after i wake up sunday, i'll report back. ;)

YakMotor
04-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Drizzle and light rain added up overnight Thursday to .35" * But, looking at the lake I'd have guessed it was more! *Lake level just keeps coming up! *I messed around with a kind of before/after shot. *The larger background photo was taken from my deck October 08 and the smaller overlay shot showing the boats yesterday.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3898/lakeleveloverlay02640w.jpg

In Photoshop I can work with the images in layers. *I resized and tilted the recent shot using rocks and shoreline features to match them up as best I could. *Then I worked adjusting the opacity (see thru ability) of the top layer so the low water features show through. *Result is a little weird with the boat in the foreground, but you get the idea of "xray eyes."

Normally I size my pics to fit the maximum width (500 pixels) the forum software allows when it's viewed using Microsoft Internet Explorer browser. *Recently I've been using the FireFox browser and discovered it will display Sniffer Forum photos at larger sizes. *I tried sizing this image to 500 but it was just too small to communicate the idea. *If you're using Firefox you should be seeing the whole 640 pixel width. *If it's cut-off or cropped when viewed with Internet Explorer and you'd like to see the whole thing you can right click on it and "save image as" it to your computer then use your own viewer.

I saw a few trout hooked and landed yesterday by tooners and boaters, but wasn't able to get photos. *Higher water has opened up the distant arms of the lake which I can't see from my narrow view from the RV Park. *LOTS of room now for trolling!

cuhogn
04-11-2009, 06:23 AM
I also wonder what the heck prompted regulations against "Computer Assisted Remote Fishing" ... has anyone heard of this?

Mark
I believe this is a result of a couple of private ranch hunts in Texas where a person, for a fee could sit at his home or office computer and hunt. The weapons were hooked to web cams (through the scope) and some type of electronic trigger mechanism over waterholes.
These were for non native species from what I read , but most states require that the hunter or fishermen must be there physically to take game or fish, so I am sure they are just keeping up with technology.

YakMotor
04-11-2009, 11:42 AM
cuhogn - Yeah, I did a Google on it and most all the top hits were about outlawing the practice.

Sheeesh! *You'd think this technology could be applied to something more useful ... like directing a long reach remote arms. *One with fingertip spigots offering a choice of cold beverages and the other with touch sensors and wide angle close-up lens. *Set it up on South Beach during spring break. *Call it Bag-a-bikini.com

Got a lot of weekend family type folks out today. *Here's Ron working lures off green star point. *Notice it's much smaller now and nice and flat for comfortable chair placement. *It also seems like it's a lot farther from my lens!
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2576/ronoffgsp100.jpg

BIG_ONE
04-11-2009, 12:17 PM
wow! I've never seen Amador so full in my life! :D

this better last through this summer 8-)

hunkfisher
04-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Would be nice if the lake got full this year. would hlep with next falls situation. I dunno if I've mentioned this in prior post but the main source of water for Amador (jackson creek) is taking a major hit in terms of water flows during the summer. The Amador water Agency which supplies water to Sutter Creek, Jackson, etc. is concreting the lining of the Amador canal which runs by the head waters of jackson creek, when the canal was a open pit earthen canal water would seep out and add to the natural spring runoff. With this being almost completed it will be interesting to see what happens to the creek in late summer (last summer it was bone dry in august). Until it gets full keep praying for water from pardee!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

YakMotor
04-11-2009, 12:46 PM
In my, let's see, five years worth of Amador experience it's only been this year and last that it didn't fill to the top. One year water went over the spillway and across the road so strong it trapped our Sniffer friend freon overnight!

It's very beautiful when full, but like all reservoirs, it's for storage so about July it's on the way down.

This is the BEST time of year in my opinion to enjoy Amador. Green trees and grasses, wildflowers, trout, bass, pan and catfish, diverse wildlife, and pleasant shirtsleeve weather.

hunkfisher
04-11-2009, 12:57 PM
In my, let's see, five years worth of Amador experience it's only been this year and last that it didn't fill to the top. *One year water went over the spillway and across the road so strong it trapped our Sniffer friend freon overnight!

that was a bad night for old Freezon, Banjos, Pig Squealing :olets just not emphasize. ;D ;D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

hoghunter3
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
In my, let's see, five years worth of Amador experience it's only been this year and last that it didn't fill to the top. *One year water went over the spillway and across the road so strong it trapped our Sniffer friend freon overnight!

that was a bad night for old Freezon, Banjos, Pig Squealing *:olets just not emphasize. *;D ;D

Might have been the best night of his life ;)

fishingfan
04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
ok barely woke up. Fished 10pm until about 6am. Lost quite a few. Hooked up a total of 12 trout biggest going 7lb, 2 largemouth biggest going 4lb, 10 crappie biggest going a little over 2lb between the 3 of us fishing. Fish are few and really scattered. We ran all over the banks from the darn, docks, and shoreline near the boat launch. We talked to a few people who said they didn't have much luck. We left right as the gates opened and the crowds showed up. There must of been 15 or more cars waiting since dawn! Some people at the parking lot got sneak peaks at our catches right as we left. ;)
We gave 4 trout away to one of the guys there fishing with us all night. (He got skunked so we figured we'd give him a few so his night wasnt wasted.) ;D

Here's the rest of them:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9898/002vgc.th.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=002vgc.jpg)

BIG_ONE
04-11-2009, 04:05 PM
ok barely woke up. Fished 10pm until about 6am. Lost quite a few. Hooked up a total of 12 trout biggest going 7lb, 2 largemouth biggest going 4lb, 10 crappie biggest going a little over 2lb between the 3 of us fishing. Fish are few and really scattered. We ran all over the banks from the darn, docks, and shoreline near the boat launch. We talked to a few people who said they didn't have much luck. We left right as the gates opened and the crowds showed up. There must of been 15 or more cars waiting since dawn! Some people at the parking lot got sneak peaks at our catches right as we left. * ;)
We gave 4 trout away to one of the guys there fishing with us all night. (He got skunked so we figured we'd give him a few so his night wasnt wasted.) *;D

Here's the rest of them:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9898/002vgc.th.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=002vgc.jpg)

I see the fish are getting smart 8-)

eating at nite and watching us fisherman by day :D

bowmasta
04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
*Look's like you and the wife had a fun night out there Xeng, glad to hear *8-) . *Let me know next time you go out, I gotta get back out there before the season is over *:D

fishingfan
04-12-2009, 02:03 AM
*Look's like you and the wife had a fun night out there Xeng, glad to hear *8-) . *Let me know next time you go out, I gotta get back out there before the season is over *:D

aww man steve, you're late. i just got back right now... 3 trout caught by the wife. i got skunked. weird!!! :o

pix to come as soon as i upload.

BIG_ONE
04-12-2009, 04:56 AM
okay, now is there any shad activities swarming the fishing dock yet??? :D

fishingfan
04-12-2009, 09:52 AM
big_one,

there hasnt been any shad activity that ive seen since feb... the season is all thrown off for some reason... *:o

YakMotor
04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Had just put my eye to the scope when I saw the guy in the blue T-shirt charge off the rocks in to water up to his armpits. He then slogged back to the bank holding his buckled and bouncing rod. Almost lost it! *Couple minutes later his buddy netted a nice Ama-bow.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3631/02Swimmersfish139Swimmersfish139.jpg

Bit different story for this guy. *I spotted him shortly after he'd hooked-up. *Grabbed the camera and started shooting five shot sequences using the red dot sight as it's much easier for me to stay on target than trying through the viewfinder. *It's too distant for me to see what's going on so I had to go back to the scope to monitor progress. *The fish was STRONG and took him from one side of the point to the other then back again. *I saw the fish jump when I was between the scope and camera. *Seemed to take forever and I probably had a hundred shots. *Then the guy with the net just wanders off and then the guy with the pole calmly walks it back and puts it in the holder. *NO FISH! *After ALL that! * No jumping up and down either ... at least not from the fisherman. *Me? *I was ticked off! *Later I checked the time stamped on the photos. *The battle lasted about 9 minutes, but seemed at least twice that long!
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9788/03Fishfighongsp280Fishfighongsp280.jpg

Welp, I had my share of missed "hits" too. *After this guy caught a trout I saw he had a good fish and stringer and I tried to get a shot of 'em,. but the best I could come up with was the splash after he tossed the stinger back out. *There's a couple second pause between my multi shot sequences while I re-target and let the camera autofocus.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9751/04Stringersplash314Stringersplash314.jpg

So here's another good "fish-ON" shot but nothing to come of it. *Seems we all have out short strike days!
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7735/05Fishonwhiteboat295Fishonwhiteboat295.jpg

Oh well, I got some good speeding boat photos. *
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7382/06Patioboat179Patioboat179.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1996/07MRplanning292MRplanning292.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7926/08Bassboatplanes184Bassboatplanes184.jpg

This is the same area of the Mountain Springs arm shown in the "xray eyes" shot. *Just liked the late afternoon light.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3033/09Eveningbasscasting317copyEveningbasscasting317co py.jpg

Sunday I took a drive over to see what was coming from Pardee to Amador. *I thought the lake level would be higher, but as you see it looks about the same as the shot in February.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/803/10DamsidecomboDamsidecombo.jpg

Water is coming from the outlet. but I can't guess how much. *Probably about the same flow I saw in Jackson Creek when I slowed and passed over it further down the road. No water flow in Feb.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3673/11OutletsidecomboOutletsidecombo.jpg

My GUESS on the shad minnow population is that it's either late in coming or there is just not as many out there. *My observation comes from seeing a LOT LESS birds that usually prey on them. *Only a few mergansers, comorrants, great blue herons, and white egrets are around compared to past years ... tho it still is a little early. *This is a flock of mergansers landing near the dam. *It was taken about 9:30am 4/24/08. *My recollection is of seeing larger flocks congregating near the fishing dock late in the afternoon. *Looking back at my photo collection the largest flocks were photographed in September and October.
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6043/merganserslandbydam395.jpg

The terns usually arrive in force by May and dive bomb 'em from the air.
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8739/Ternwfish502475w1.jpg

BIG_ONE
04-13-2009, 05:10 PM
kool, but I don't know...last year the shad were in their trillions at the docks. its unimaginable...can't even see pass the school of shad. like the dock is floating on top of it.

but thanks for the update, let us know how the shad is doing...and especially when they arrive at the fishing dock ;D

outdoorsman
04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I found probably 8-10 balls on sunday. Sorry no spots :-X, but they are in there.

freon
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
that was a bad night for old Freezon, Banjos, Pig Squealing lets just not emphasize.

Might have been the best night of his life

Not the best, a couple of very nice ladies hold that spot, but this one wasnt bad, got my cousin on some fish, got him flooded in on a lake, met a lot of other standed folks, got a lot of free food and drink, got a nice warm bed to sleep in for free and got to fish for free the next day, not a bad day in anybodys eyes ;)
the squeeling pig did help though ;D
Brad, I definitely owe you one, might want to watch out for flying donut holes at your next football game >:( :o
HH3, I think I already paid you back at the fest ;) ;D

WesternStriper
04-13-2009, 10:08 PM
...Spend four hours fishing at Lake Amador at night. Got there at 19:00 hrs and off at 23:00 hrs. In all we only manage to hook four. The bite was on at 21:30 hrs. and end for little as thirty minute then it went dead... We use power bait. Fish was hitting about 3 feet of dept. Sorry big_one no shad yet or the water is too muddy. Visible at only one ft.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/mongyaj/IMG_0126.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/mongyaj/IMG_0128.jpgThe crime scene...

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/mongyaj/IMG_0132.jpgOur Four

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q202/mongyaj/IMG_0133.jpgekkk... eggs *8-)

troutbum20
04-13-2009, 11:39 PM
headin out at day break to fish from the darn. i will post my report when im home. if anyone else is going ill be in the little white toyota pickup or wearing my cowboy hat on the damn.

BIG_ONE
04-14-2009, 02:41 AM
darn, where'd those shad go :(

YakMotor
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
BIG_ONE - Yeah I know what you mean. *I decided to try some night fishing from the yak a couple years ago. *Think it was about the middle of May or at least after surface temps had put the trout down. *I was about 25 yards off the fishing dock toward the center of the lake and the fishfinder read about 80'. *I dropped one line deep to drift and try for trout and planned to jig fish for crappie around a submerged light. *I put the light on the downrigger and lowered it about 12'. *It wasn't long before the fishfinder showed me in about 15' of water. *I wish I had a mirror to look over the side of the yak. *It wouldn't be safe for balance to do it otherwise. *I couldn't see, but figured so many minnows must have come to the light they registered as the bottom! *I didn't catch a trout or a crappie. *With their tummies full of the good stuff why would they even consider my lame looking rubber jig?

fishingfan
04-14-2009, 02:43 PM
quick report.

fished for a few hours yesterday.

the grand total......

5 limits of trout (and those were just the bleeders) with multiple break offs, not setting the hook good and c&r's! *;D :D ;D :D ;D :D :o 8-)

not one crappie last night... where'd they all go? *:'(

pix to come as soon as i get home from work. *;)

fishingfan
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
As promised. *;D

Our first 15. I had to stand on the ice chest in order to fit the whole picture shot. :D

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/7229/003vtn.th.jpg (http://img2.imageshack.us/my.php?image=003vtn.jpg)

The other 10.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1194/006w.th.jpg (http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=006w.jpg)

The bad girl of the night. (I put a 4 D Mag-Lite next to it to show the size) *;)

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8312/008zxa.th.jpg (http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=008zxa.jpg)

until next time! *;)

BIG_ONE
04-14-2009, 08:20 PM
WOW!!! AMAZING!!! I've never seen anyone caught so many trout at the dock like that!

:o

MontanaN8V
04-14-2009, 09:36 PM
You never seen me out there with stick powder! [smiley=bomblighting.gif]

YakMotor
04-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Coming back in tonight I saw the plant sign showing another 5000lbs was put in Tuesday. Kinda surprised me as there wasn't much activity around the spillway plant tube around noon when I looked.

On my way out about 5pm I talked to a boater at the cleaning station. He said they caught five trout but kept only one. I think he also said they got five bass. His eyes lit up when he told me about the red eared bluegill they got ... bigger than his spread out hand with an amazing girth. He thought it weighed about a pound and a half. He said they fished their small aluminum boat in some of the back arms and coves and noticed a good bit of surface minnow activity. They'd hoped to get crappie. but only got the single perch.

Maybe the minnows just haven't migrated ... or have been chased out to the main lake yet? I dunno! My perception is that our "season" has been running kinda late ... mainly from the late rainfall.

troutbum20
04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
fished yesterday and today. got to the lake at daybreak and fished EVERYWHERE! the darn the points the boat house all for 2 fish! :-[ i saw NO schools of fish what so ever and only witnessed 4 fish caught all on the bottom by the dam. i usually go to the "combat fishing" zone on the darn and c&r at least 20 fish on mini jigs but the past couple weeks have been awful. there used to be schools of 20, 30, 15, and ten fish schooling in that corner and in front of the darn week after week in the top 2 feet of water but the past few weeks NADA! >:( I usually just use small white trout stingers or chartuse trout traps and i usually got a fish with every cast i made into the school but now they arent there. i tried powerbait, powerworms, lures, flies, jigs, even thought of using cheese for gods sakes!lol but during my 2 days i saw no schools and only saw a few solitary trout about 6 feet deep. i think with the water rising and the temps climbing the trout season at Amador is coming to a close. talked to the boaters and they had a big zero for the day. the good news is the bass are on there beds and there are some hogs out there! i will be out Friday to try for some of those monster bass but im done with the trout till next year.besides, trout season is in 2 weeks and i hear the Carson calling my name! ;) ;D ;D

Jfitalia
04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I was there as well today but my report is a little different. I do agree the fish are really scattered now but it does make it a little more fun because now we actually have to fish for them. I fished from 6am - 9:30am landed 4 and lost 4 with my biggest being 4lbs. All my fish were caught in the same corner of the dam and all on jigs except for one. All in all from the people on the dam i saw 8 fish caught not counting mine. The fish are still schooling up but its happening later in the day around 2 or 3pm, its just hard to see because of the clarity. try downsizing your jig and use a 1/64 once jig in orange/green. That has been my go to color there for almost 10yrs.

Now for the trollers that I saw, they for the most part were hooked up most of the time. With the fish this scattered they should have the best chance. I would say about 75% of the time a boat made a pass by the dam they hooked up. Looks like I'll have to take my boat out next time.

fishingfan
04-15-2009, 06:25 PM
i'll post another report when i get back. ;) :D ;D

and jfitalia, welcome to the boards! :)

fishingfan
04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Fished a few hours last night. Took home 8 trout and 1 crappie between my wife and I. Pictures to come as soon as I get home from work I will upload off my iPhone.

Reel_burner
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Hummmm, orange/green jig? Sunfish clone (dark green head with green over orange feathers) or something else? More info please...

And yes, welcome to the boards jfitalia!

Jfitalia
04-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks Folks!!

It's a rubber jig similar to the one put out by trout traps however they dont make this color. It has the bright green on the back side of the tube and the orange on the belly. I will try and post a pic later.

fishingfan
04-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Here they are:

First fish. It's a bleeder!

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4442/003sur.th.jpg (http://img2.imageshack.us/my.php?image=003sur.jpg)

The "Tub" ;D

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4941/005z.th.jpg (http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=005z.jpg)

I'm hoping to be out there this weekend. "hope"... see all of you out there! ;D

fishingfan
04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
oh and i just remembered. we hooked up a nice maybe 5-6lb'r. as we were netting it, it looked like it had a tag on it... do they still tag some fish there? *:o it was red/pink and shiny. then the fish tangled around the net and it fell off and plopped into the water... of all my luck... :-? :( >:( :-X :-/ :'(

happydaddy
04-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Hit the lake at about 7am. little cold but not to bad, water temp about 62. water clarity about 3ft. started to put fish in the boat right off the bat. by 11:30 we had 11 on the stringer for three people, but we did not want to go home yet so we started to C&R. The fishing was not off the hook but pretty steady. we had to hunt for them. F5 was the hot bite in blue and silver. Trolling at about 1.5mph.
*We did get two triples landed one each time, and a double landed both. The biggest fish for the day was about 5 lbs smallest was about 2 lbs. It got a little windy about 1:00, But all in all it was a great day to be on the water. ended the day at 3:30 with 3 limits bring home. Total for the day was about 25. *:) ;D 8-) *After the last three time out to Amador *we were a little leery of going back but I am glad we did as you can see from my son face it was all worth it.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn228/dfahrney2/102_1893.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn228/dfahrney2/102_1894.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn228/dfahrney2/102_1895.jpg

Jfitalia
04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
wow those look like two nice fishing trips from fishingfan and happypappy.

If you dont mind fishingfan, what have you been using at night. I was thinking about planning a night trip next week since the weather is suppose to be in the mid 90's.

bowmasta
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
We'll look's like my dad and I are making are final trolling trip tommorow at Amador. Hopefully we can finish the season strong with some limits 8-)

-Steve

fishingfan
04-17-2009, 04:08 PM
wow those look like two nice fishing trips from fishingfan and happypappy.

If you dont mind fishingfan, what have you been using at night. I was thinking about planning a night trip next week since the weather is suppose to be in the mid 90's.

I use what the typical setup like everyone else. I have my 2 rod stamp and so does my wife. So all we do is try one thing on a rod and another on the other setup. We'll wait it out and see which one produces more, then switch all rods to that thing. ;D

Usually worms/powerbait under a bobber will do the trick. And we toss kastmasters/spoons on the other rods.

good luck.

YakMotor
04-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I find with both web browsers I'm using now (Firefox & Internet Explorer 8) that I'm able to view larger sized photos in the forum. *I've boosted the size of this set to 640 pixels wide. *Please let me know if you have a problem viewing them.

Up, up, and UP! *The lake level keeps rising. *The launch cove shot this afternoon.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9501/Launchcove466.jpg

The fishing dock is now floating high enough so that access for wheelchairs is possible.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5602/FishdockOA468.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1336/Fishdockramp469.jpg

Put a polarizing filter on to cut surface glare to show water clarity. *It's a little hazy near shore from stuff stirred-up by boat wakes.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/93/Waterclarity497.jpg

Here's a view with campground point on the right. *Quite a few boats out today but there's plenty of room for trolling now.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9806/Scenicwcamppoint528.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/465/Camppoint535.jpg

The two guys just beyond green star point admire a trout they just landed. *I later saw they had four on their stringer and the guys in the foreground by the bucket had at least five on theirs.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7461/GSPbankersnboat450.jpg

This shot is yesterday evening trying to show another stringer being carried home from GSP.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5808/Stringerwalks425.jpg

Took this one just a few minutes ago. *I saw a few boats with stringers over the side, but now with the lake so large much activity is out of sight from my spot.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8074/Boatnetsone628.jpg

They've done a lot of weed wacking around the RV Park, but thankfully left many of the beautiful poppies.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3006/Poppies473.jpg

camotracker
04-17-2009, 05:31 PM
*We'll look's like my dad and I are making are final trolling trip tommorow at Amador. *Hopefully we can finish the season strong with some limits *8-)

-Steve *

good luck in the morning steve. wish i could be there. lots of honey dues to finish up.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

fishingfan
04-17-2009, 08:50 PM
hey steve, good luck out there. i might be there tomorrow night... we'll have to see if i can find the time. :D ;D

NorCal2500HD
04-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Might just have to roll up tomorrow night.....

bowmasta
04-18-2009, 02:01 PM
AWESOME fishing, 10 in the boat with 2 limits by 11:00 am today. *Got on the water at 7:00 am and the morning bite was hot around the dam/spillway area. *Few hours later Doney bay and Mt. Springs Arm were producing better. *Had TONS of short strikes, at least 20-30 . *Nothing huge though, all fish ranged 2-4 pounds. *Most people seem to be trolling rapalas and having no luck at all. *The good old Pearl grub/ green egg caught all *the fish today ( everything on surface, all day). *Good luck to anyone going tommorow, was happy just to finish the season strong with 2 limits.

.. post some pic's later tonight *8-)

-Steve

dinos marine
04-18-2009, 02:14 PM
steve,
glad to hear that the fish are finally biting. Kewl!!! :D im finally back to work full bore, gotta take some time off!
dino

MontanaN8V
04-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Great work BM! That is how to end a season. I am envious.

highlands
04-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Steve,

What is the green egg? Where are you placing it?

Thanks

bowmasta
04-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey highlands the green egg is a Green Power egg, threaded on the hook above the grub. Appreciate the comment's guys, look's like ill be Halibut fishing in the bay for awhile till winter again 8-) .

-Steve

fishingfan
04-18-2009, 04:51 PM
good job on the fish steve.

i just got home bass fishing lake oroville. im about to head out to amador for the night. *;D :D ;)

reports later.

highlands
04-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks Bowmasta!

camotracker
04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
*Hey highlands the green egg is a Green Power egg, threaded on the hook above the grub. *Appreciate the comment's guys, look's like ill be Halibut fishing in the bay for awhile till winter again *8-) . *

-Steve

what

good ol pearl grub w/ chartruess power egg was the ticket huh. great job out there steve. i knew you and the pops would do good.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

fishingfan
04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
fished last night until 4 AM. 15 trout and 2 crappie. sorry no pix this time. my iphone ran out of battery. and i also broke my lamiglas rod there too. !@@#$#$%#%#$(*&#*>:( ::)

fishingfan
04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
no more reports? i guess the season is over already? >:( :( :o :-? ::) :-[ :-X :-/ :'(

hoghunter3
04-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Sorry for the late report,went out solo on Monday.

It was hot. Surface temp was up to 73 degrees by the time I called it a day. Ended up with 4 and a couple of crappie. Going to make a few adjustments and give it one more go for the season tomorrow.

Lake level continues to rise. Check out these comparison pictures

Dock area in October

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/img_2981-1.jpg

Same area on Monday

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4560.jpg

Spillway in October

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/img_2991-1.jpg

On Monday

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4563.jpg

Jackson Creek turn "before"

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_3156.jpg

On Monday

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4599.jpg

A couple Heron's (I think)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4607.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4621.jpg

I did great some shot of a couple immature Bald Egles back in Rock Springs.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4598.jpg

Check out this one of getting harassed by a blackbird. Somehow this reminds me of fishing with Freon. ;)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4590.jpg

EGangler
04-22-2009, 05:28 AM
HH3

Those are actually great photos of a golden eagle.

hoghunter3
04-22-2009, 06:02 AM
I just double checked in my Audubon book and your absolutely right EGrangler. Thanks.

Got a few more I'll post later

hoghunter3
04-22-2009, 06:17 AM
Here's goes.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4594_edited-1.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4598_edited-1.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4586_edited-1.jpg

Wish I would have caught this one about .5 seconds later

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4583_edited-1.jpg

freon
04-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Check out this one of getting harassed by a blackbird. Somehow this reminds me of fishing with Freon.

Hey *>:( *>:( *>:(
I resemble that remark *>:( *;D *;D
I might make a trip out next monday, not sure yet though, so keep posting if you are going out *;)

Hog, got the fest dvd done, I should get it mailed out to you later today, sorry its sooooo late *:-[

In the mail today buddy ;)

YakMotor
04-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Trout are here. *Another 5000lbs were planted Tuesday. *Most of these shots were taken over the weekend. *Saturday was busier than Sunday. *Friday evening I saw a group headed out to green star point for some night fishing. *They'd only got settled when I saw they'd hooked their first one.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/362/01GSPeveningfishon651.jpg

ARGH! The DANG heat keeps me inside. *Seems every year it's harder for me to adjust. *Some folks bring extra shade.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8806/02Umbrellaboat847.jpg

It's transition time from trout to bass guys.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6030/03Bassboatntrouttroller671.jpg

I watched the fellow with the long net for awhile. *I can see fishing rods on the bank, but no other fisherman. *Nor did I see him net one. *GSP is in the foreground.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1888/04BoatnnetoffGSP196.jpg

This guy puts a good Ama-bow on his stringer.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2057/05GSPonstring182.jpg

OK guys ... pay attention to detail ... there IS a trout in the picture.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3521/06GSPerholdstrout938.jpg

They've got a good one, but unfortunately didn't see it end up in the net.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2607/07Strawhatsfishon811.jpg

These folks have at least one trout on their stringer.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7499/08Whitebostoneonstringer688.jpg

Look for the net. *There is a reason for her "GOT ONE!" gesture. *Another detail you might note is the boats CF number. *Considering privacy I alter conspicuous numbers by cloning (a edit copy/paste technique) over them rather than blurring or smudging them out.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4451/09Bikininetsone025.jpg

Another eye test ... see if you can spot the fishing rod.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6798/10Redbikini902.jpg

Dogs on deck! *
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5467/11Kayakcouple898.jpg

Couldn't pass up a shot of this yak train. *Pop using Hobie Mirage peddle power was doing most of the work.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2207/12Yaktrain584.jpg

Amador's a popular and friendly lake for small craft.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7901/13Pontooner868.jpg

No denying that this gal is well equipped. *Look at them pampered rods!
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7439/14Pinktroller793.jpg

Took this one this (Wednesday) morning.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6537/15Boatersnettrout428.jpg

The terns are back! *I walked down to a neighbor's deck to see more water area and have a better chance of catching them dive bombing the minnows. *Dang they're fast! *I burned up lottsa megabytes on the SD memory card for a just a few good ones.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/771/16Terncatchtease356.jpg

HH3 - GREAT shots of the birds. *The dark one is a great blue heron and the white one an egret. *Guess they must be hiding in the coves as I'm not seeing them near the RV Park. *The eagle pics especially the one with the crow (I'd guess because of size) are awesome. *Great capture of unique behavior. *I hope I'll never see the lake looking like the Grand Canyon again as it did before the rains. *Good comparison shots. *I noticed they removed the floats from end of the plant tube. *If the water keeps coming from Pardee a tube may not be needed next week. *Hopefully the low coming from up north will cool the water so the trout can stay close to the surface. *

fishpeddler1
04-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the update Yak. Looks like I'll be making one last trip up tomorrow. just hoping that the scenery is as good as you've shown.... ::)
strange to see so much boat activity and no posts. :( I'll report back tomorrow night.

BIG_ONE
04-23-2009, 12:36 AM
dive bombing the shad now??? are they at the docks yet??? [smiley=hissyfit.gif]

FISHIN_BUDDY
04-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I was there last Saturday, did not see any shad at the surface as last year. They maybe down deeper because the FF what showing some debris like markings... Got a couple of trout jigging a white tube at the docks...

fishpeddler1
04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
hit the water for a half day of fun.didn't bring the downriggers (first mistake) left my grub kit in the other boat (second mistake). Had a few left over grubs from the last trip so pulled them for awhile. no one was talking on the vhf so *I cruised around and tried to find out what depth they were at today. *met a nice gentleman who told me he was getting them at 20 - 25 feet (I seem to recall 8-12 feet being the norm for April, oh well )and he also tossed me some of his hot baits to boot, so thank you kindly sir. I piled on as much lead as I dared and went with the looong set back to get down to the fish zone. bingo! 8 fish in the next 2 hours. nothing huge so no pixs of them today. they are looking a little better with no heavy spawners today for me so into the smoker they go.
saw a few stars in the parking lot so hopefully they report too. most boats seemed to be getting some action with a few hooking up pretty consistantly. fish were scattered throughout the lake with very few free jumpers today.

morning mist
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/20/42309109u.jpg

MontanaN8V
04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
That's the girl I want to marry!

YakMotor
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
fishpeddler - I waved, but you must have been focused on your rod tip. *I didn't think to turn on my radio. *Glad to hear you finally found some fish. *Nice sunrise shot!
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1902/fishpeddler468.jpg

I noticed a few young people were getting some fishing lessons today.
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/759/kidsinboat477.jpg

Watched this young fellow fight a good long battle, but in the end he learned the frustration of a dreaded SDR! *
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5539/yngguyfishon460.jpg

Note: *If the right side of these 640 pixel wide photos are cutoff I think it's due to using the older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer. * Update to version 8 or give the Firefox browser a try (like me) and you should have the benefit of seeing full size photos and other new features.

hoghunter3
04-24-2009, 06:02 AM
It's awful nice to say......It's Slamador time again!"

Hit the water about 6:30 AM with a couple of "rummies" who used to work for me. Got 2 quick ones in the boat, toplining and they lost 3 others (my guests pulling a Bill Dance at the first sign of a nibble).

As sun hit the water moved lines down between 8 to 15 feet and rolled into Doney. Bite was on fire. No time to run 6 rods as I had trouble keeping 4 in the water. Ended up catching 23 by the time we quit at 1:30 PM. Lost a number more. One of the best days of the season

Here's the 15 we kept (yes there's 15, had to double up on some of the brag board hooks)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4644.jpg

YakMotor
04-24-2009, 07:29 AM
HH3 - Looks like you ought to change your T-shirt logo to "Ultimate Fighter Camp" as those big boys appear to have got a first class arm workout! WAY TO GO!

fat_fish
04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
HH3-nice work and thanks for a great and encouraging report...hopefully i get in one more trip out there..were you pullin grubs?

thanks,

ff

fishpeddler1
04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
just a sample shot of two tracks showing the change in lake size from Jan. VS. April. Red is Jan, and purple is yesterday.
It was nice to see triple digit depths on the sonar again!

ps. YAK, that was a different peddler out there yesterday. I was in my tin boat so I could exercise the motor.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/876/amador.jpg

YakMotor
04-24-2009, 01:32 PM
fishpeddler - Huh! *Dang! Thought for sure that was you. * Is your Hobie yak the same color?

Quite a difference between low and high water. *Glad to see someone using the GPS track overlay feature of Google Earth. *I was sent a notice awhile back saying I'll no longer need to pay $20 a year for the feature ... it's now FREE!

Most boaters seem to be heading for the far reaches of the lake, but I caught these guys hooking-up as they passed green star point a few minutes ago. *A little drizzly rain this morning, but now it's all sun with a cool breeze.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1330/alumboatnetstrout507.jpg

Gmac
04-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Yakmotor -- I'm the one you mistook for fishpeddler on the Hobie... Sorry I didn't see you.

dinos marine
04-24-2009, 07:58 PM
yak,
was it windy today?

YakMotor
04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Gmac - Hope you like the photo! I picked the one your legs looked best in. How'd you do at "catching?" Saw you worked the area around green star point pretty hard. I shoot from my deck on a level above the RV's along the shore. I'm a bit hard to see even if you know where to look.

dkonrai - Did you read my post? ... "all sun with a cool breeze." Or look close at the photo? ... no whitecaps with a guy in shorts and T-shirt. I've never been to Dell Valle, but remember from my sailboarding days that it's a hot spot for wind!
Dude ... you picked the wrong place today!

fishpeddler1
04-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Yak, my kayak is the same color. and it's hard to tell but it's the next size bigger too. just look for all the extra rods and nets and the kitchen sink and you'll know it's me :D oh yeah, I finally put stars on it too.

Gmac
04-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Yak, yes I did like the photo. *Thanks for not posting the embarassing *ones! *The whole kayak thing is new to me so I'm still learning. *That was my first trip to Amador in a while, and it was not a good day fishwise for me...with 0 to the boat. *I'm not sure which is your deck, so I don't know where to look. *I'll try to remember the radio next time.

dinos marine
04-25-2009, 09:19 PM
yak,
wanted to head out to amador, but got off to a really late start :'( besides, whats wrong with getting blown around like a foam cup in a wind storm??? it wasnt bad until the waves started crashing over the transom.
gonna have to play hooky and make a trip up next week
dino

YakMotor
04-26-2009, 02:21 PM
From my deck I have a rather narrow view of the lake. *From the plant tube by the spillway then (if I move to the other end of the deck) about a 60 degree angle toward the entry to Doney Bay. *I've been surprised at the Ama-bow catching action I've seen within this area the last couple days. *Haven't got shots of every catch as some happen too fast or are too far away. *Anyway ... from my observation I'd say there's a good bite going on!

This was yesterday afternoon on GSP.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1976/GSPlanding580.jpg

Can't call it full, but it's UP and slowly keeps rising. *This is toward the Mountain Springs arm. *
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/676/Boatscenic614.jpg

Here's one getting ready to go on a stringer.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/685/Inhandinboat594.jpg

Ama-bow revenge? *I wonder sometimes if I'll witness a capsize when people get excited landing a fish.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3893/trouttalks681.jpg

Missed the fish in the net, but no worry as I'm sure it was a bass. *I just like the shirt.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7408/Bassshirt636.jpg

This sniffer showing stars and a trout or two on his stringer.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5174/Snifferwkidsnstrngr696.jpg

Back to GSP (today) and a two to three pounder coming to the net.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7697/GSPindanet727.jpg

And, another one comes to a boat.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4057/netininalum764.jpg

Used to see a lot of acorn (also called clown faced) woodpeckers at my old location. *But, with no oak trees nearby here it's unexpected a pair landed in a tree just across from my deck. *
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1384/Acornwoodpecker525.jpg

YakMotor
04-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Unless I actually get out on the water with a wide view I hesitate making comments on the "heat" of the bite. *Gotta make an exception from what I've seen since Friday. *LOTS of folks are catching trout. *Not all limits I'm sure, but many boats I checked out I saw nets in action or stringers over the side. *Here's a few more from Sunday.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8725/boathatsnstringr027.jpg

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5018/chubbybowinnet012.jpg

Just before this guy drifted below my view I saw him hook a fish, *I watched and moved around trying to get a shot and saw the small trout leap about four feet out of the water. *That motivated me to say what the heck and try for a shot anyway. *This is all I got. *Oh well!
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5459/hiddennet044.jpg

Light was low when these guys packed up to leave green star point so I had to boost sensitivity setting of the camera then work it over in Photoshop to make it viewable.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5936/twilightstringer056.jpg

fishpeddler1
04-27-2009, 04:50 AM
thanks for keeping us posted Yak, what a nice looking day out there.
maybe one more rip for me next week now?

ifish4fun
04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Fished Saturday, what a nice day to fish. My day started off good. I lanuched the boat and went to plug in my fish finder and I noticed it was already pluged in oops did i forget to turn it off from my last trip >:(. My battery was dead no fish finder no down riggers so off we go to fish the old fashion way seek and you will find. We started off very slow 1st fish 10:30 in Doney bay white grub orange head. 5 minutes later 2nd fish same rod. Then nothing, i tried everyting i even used the down rigger without power. Boy is it fun using the emergency handle to crank the rigger. At 1 pm we finally hit pay dirt 6 trout in an hour all on white grub green head. Biggest fish of the day was 5.2 pounds I got to break the new rod in that Freon built for the fest. Nice rod Freon a lot of fun on a 3 wieght fly rod blank. Ended the day with 8 but should of limited easy with all the bites we got when we found the fish. Most boats were catching fish all over the lake no one place better than the other. Most guys were fishing down 8 to 20 feet. I used 1 rigger and put one split shot on the rest of the rods and did okay.

YakMotor
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Didn't have the camera out until late this afternoon. *By then the only "fishermen" on green star point were these lazy guys just standing around.
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8575/egretsongsp067.jpg

The only boat I saw out was able to provide some action by hooking and netting a trout. *Chilly wind today and the air was ugly with smoke or dust.
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6434/soleboatfish114.jpg

freon
04-28-2009, 06:26 AM
I got to break the new rod in that Freon built for the fest. Nice rod Freon a lot of fun on a 3 wieght fly rod blank

Darren, glad to see that it is working as well for you as it did for me, those light rods are a blast to fish with, hoghunter absolultely nailed it when he started wrapping rods using those blanks ;)

We need some pics buddy, cant have Mark doing all the work ;D

bowmasta
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Late report, was trolling there Saturday with my pap, had 2 easy limits by 11:00 am again. *Steady bite trolling in the middle of the lake all day ( Doney Bay). *Most fish were caught from 10-20 feet down on the downriggers with pearl grub. *Didn't take any pictures, all fish about 2-4 pounds again.

hoghunter3
04-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Just got back from a solo run today. It's still "slamador". Landed an even dozen before calling it a day at 12:30. I'll post pictures later

hoghunter3
04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Pictures, as promised.

Another day with great promise

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4667.jpg

Was lucky eoungh to catch a couple Bald eagles fighting over a fish. Don't normally post this many but they are noteworthy. Just wish I was a little closer

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4668.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4669.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4670.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4671.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4678.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4680.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4682.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4683.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4684.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4685.jpg

And I did manage to catch a few fish. Here's the take homes

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4687.jpg

Headed back with paddleman in the AM

Manteca Steve
04-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey Hoghunter
Nice ! Well did the other baldie cath up to him? Thanks for the picks.

freon
04-29-2009, 06:34 AM
awesome pics buddy, I bet that was a blast to watch, sort of like your fest cd, that rocked, awesome job on that too, you obviously have too much time on your hands ;D
Keep up the great work ;)

camotracker
04-29-2009, 02:31 PM
yup yup. fine photo's you got going on hh3. your in yak class now. ;) thanks for sharing

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

fat_fish
04-29-2009, 02:33 PM
those eagle shots sure are nice hh3.

ff

YakMotor
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Hoghunter3 and Paddleman team up to score a 3 pound Ama-bow. *Saw the dang fish jump three times, but it just didn't sync with my shutter clicks! *

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8595/hh3npaddleman241.jpg

Yeah, after seeing those nice action shots I've got big time eagle envy! *But, I gotta take what I can get. *This egret flew by me just after those guys landed their trout.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3849/egretbif266.jpg

hoghunter3
04-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Last report for April.......

Met Paddleman at 5:30AM for a ride in his North River.

On the water early chasing bows

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4690_edited-1.jpg

Made a pass across the face of the dam, up the north side and down to Doney to Jackson. Only a couple short strikes to show for it. ( What a difference a day makes!)

Chris picks up a 3 on crawlers and I finally get on the board with my "Amador Special". Bite then shuts completely down (for us) and we start going through different offerings. Absolutely dead and we're stuck on 4 fish until around 1PM. (Chris is also kiccking my butt, 3 to 1)

Did get to meet "T" and his buddy.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4700.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4701.jpg

We finally got the right combination of location, offerings, depth and speed a little after 1 PM and got into them pretty good. Ended up with 12 between 2.5 and 3.25 pounds. Here's Paddleman with the "take homes"

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4720.jpg

Also had a few photos woth sharing (I think)

Artic Terns are in big time

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4694_edited-1.jpg

As are the Geese

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4696_edited-1.jpg

Another Bald Eagle making it a bad day to be a fish

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4712_edited-2.jpg

A couple of pics of an Osprey with a fish

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4713_edited-1.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4714_edited-1.jpg

Anybody know what this is? I think they were testing to make sure it float and were pulling it out of the water when we were coming in

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_4719.jpg

Thanks for the "ride" yesterday Paddleman. Good time and great company.

Paddleman
04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Great trip HH3. Love those birds of prey photos. Those birds taking those fish off the water was fantastic in person. Yak nice talking to you via radio. Nice long photos of HH3 landing that amabow. Funny how on "Q" he nailed that fish when we were in view. Fun day out there. Was not easy but we finally figured it out. Interesting how things can change from day to day when you fish a lake.

hoghunter3
05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Great fishing with you again Chris. let's do it again soon.

FISHIN_BUDDY
05-01-2009, 10:16 AM
anyone going out tonight or tomorrow? I'm thinking of fishing the docks.. :)

btw, how is the bite in the rain? does the set up change from the usual?

superT
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
hoghunter3, nice seeing you. I'm glad you got into them. I was back on the water Thursday as well, it was a bit slow but we did well. Troy.

YakMotor
05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
HH3 - GREAT shots of the osprey lugging up a fish that looks heavier than the bird. I wonder if it was able to get it to a treetop where I've seen them eat them before.

As for the little white "building" I think I caught a glimpse of it a time before when I was headed out. Thought it might be a floating restroom or someting, but after speaking to Bruce at the lodge today I got better story. It's a mini houseboat! And yes, the guy was testing it's floatability. Seems the fellow building it wants some creature comforts as he floats and fishes for catfish. I asked about what kind of motor he was using and Bruce said he wasn't going to put a motor on it because then it would need to be registered. Looks like a heck of a thing to row or paddle. Bruce figures he'll have it towed around. I appreciate innovative homebrew ideas, but am afraid that appears WAY too top heavy. He's gonna have to be careful where he puts the microwave and big screen TV to keep it balanced!

Also learned they planted another 5000 lbs on Wednesday.

I saw a LOT of green on the Weather Underground radar last night, but not enough rain has fallen yet to wet the ground. Air is perfectly still right now with overcast. I can only see a few folks out.

Yesterday about sundown I noticed a HUGE (maybe 50) flock of merganser ducks in flight low over the water looking like they were headed for the fishing dock. Musta got scared as they flared back up and around and scattered so I didn't see where they ended up. Three egrets then also came flying in the same direction. Last year I watched three egrets follow a group of mergansers that were chasing minnows close to the shoreline. Guess ocassionally minnows got pushed close enough in for the wading egrets to nail them. If you've been looking for minnow activity I'd say the birds have shown me it's HAPPENING now!

RonM
05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I guess this was the last official thread for this season.