PDA

View Full Version : Lake Clementine Help

hungryhooker
03-31-2009, 04:38 AM
I'm heading to Lake Clementine this weekend for the first time and can use any pointers you've got. We're taking someone who has always wanted to fish there and has never caught a fish - anywhere! We'll be armed with a boat, trolling motor, FF, downriggers etc.. Anyway, any help is much appreciated.

johnbfishin
03-31-2009, 06:48 AM
I hate to say it but you're kind of wasting your time trouting at Clementine. Not that there isn't trout in there but they are few and far between. If you do go I'd fish up at the headwater, you could also beach the boat and fish the river.

Oh yeah, special regs apply to the river so check your reg book.

MontanaN8V
03-31-2009, 07:01 AM
I agree, the inlet river is good for fly fishing for trout. Use like a prince nymph or a copper john behind a stone fly emerger. Short line it, that means don't cast across and drift, pick put pockets behind boulders and deeper pockets and cast up to the front, and let it drift through the pocket, start close, and work your way out. Fish will usually hit on the first or second pass, so don't waste timeon one spot, keep moving. You can use a spinning rig with split shot on your line. I was going to fish that this weekend, but can't fish for a while, so if you do, tell me how you do.

GCinGV
03-31-2009, 07:10 AM
What John said.
Right now in the lake youd be better off throwing Crawdad colored jigs and crank baits into the cattails for Small Mouth and Black Bass. You can also catch some White Cats on cut bait. Some nice Sacramento Perch in there as well if you can find them.
GC

hungryhooker
03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Looks like Bass it is...thanks for your posts!

Darin
03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
What Gary and John said. Forget about trout. It's all about Bass right now here. I was out two weeks ago... ;). Stick to the banks and watch for any sudden drops or long shelf's, and like anywhere else...dont forget to fish the area of the docks and other cover, the fish will be there. If all else fails try throwing on two buggers 2 feet apart and use your DR. 150 foot setback in 30-80ft (along the shelf) of water.
When you see bugs...and you will around 2pm unless the wind blows, try a little top water (popper) or a green hopper on the fly rod. The water is still cold (49deg) but there have been some good hatches with the rising temperatures. Your best bet for trout is the inlet of the NFork and the next mile above...your gonna have to walk it..but it might be worth while...who knows ;D Let us know how you do ;)

FFG

GCinGV
04-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Because the edges of the lake are so steep at Clementine the fish (Bass) hold in a super narrow band or strike zone along the shore. Like Darin said its key is fishing between the shore and the drop-off which is some places is only about a 10ft off shore. My guess is that most of the fish are staged along the drop-off now with a few moving up to the shallows in the cattails periodically. In the deeper water the crank baits and jigs or rubber works well. In the shallows I like to throw either a jig or spinner bait up onto the shore and gently pull in back into the water to minimize the splash, which tends to spook them.
Persistence is the key for Bass at Clementine. Back when I fished mostly for Bass my partner and I found that for some reason at Clementine we had to make more cast per fish then any of the other lakes we fished but if you just keep casting and moving you can catch some real quality fish most of the time.
GC

hungryhooker
04-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks all for the info. Beautiful lake, but the fishing was completely worthless. We tried everything, trolled a bit, cast some jigs and tried bait...big fat zero. We marked fish in 80ft of water down around 35, but they wouldn't take anything. I'm thinking the fish aren't transitioning just yet. Oh well, gorgeous day though.