PDA

View Full Version : lake mcswain

231385darren
03-31-2009, 08:24 PM
ill be camping there this weekend with my boat usually i just bank but was wondering if anybody knew the hot ticket for trolling there

shadbuster
03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Was there about a week ago and talked to this boater who said he nails them with flashers followed by a plain nightcrawler, saw him hook into a few fish while I was bank fishing.

231385darren
03-31-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks shadbuster i was wondering if you have ever fished the area below the dam which do you think is better fishing because personally i think the area below has better bank fishing from past experiences

shadbuster
03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
I've never fished the area below the dam I have always just fished the handicap dock area and the brush pile. I assumed the fishing wasn't as good below the dam but I was always tempted to try it because it seems like you can just drive your car right up to the shore, might have to give it a try next time I head up there. Have you hooked into any brooks this year? I've caught haven't one this year at that lake even though they been planted there lately. Good Luck on your trip this weekend.

ixlatall
03-31-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm not a big McSwain fan as I have been skunked time and time again there. Just wanted to point out that I've been hearing a lot of good about the trout, Kokanne, and King Salmon at McLure. With the exception of tyhe Kokanee the others have been in the top 15' of water. of course I will have not been there in the last month but I will find out Sun and Mon when I head out. Good Luck and I'd like to see some follow up wherever you go. Especially if you do well at McSwain.

shadbuster
04-01-2009, 07:28 PM
hey, ixlatall where do you usually fish at when you are at McSwain? I always catch something while there (I bank fish) and more often than not I limit out. If you need pointers on how to bank fish that lake shot me a PM.

twoelk48
04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
So here is what I don't understand why fish McSwain when Kyle and I have given detailed information on McClurefor the past 2 months espeically if you ahve a boat? Kent

231385darren
04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
well half the reason is because i do mostly bank fishing and the other reason is because i don't have a car with a hitch on it and since my dad is gonna tow the boat then well yea but i may do a little trollling at mcclure off mcclure point since it isn't far from mcswain i lso actually do A LOT of fishing at mcclure when i go camping in the summer so a change is nice once in a while

JPFX
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Trust Tweolk48 on this one. McClure is still on fire. If you have a boat, go to McClure. I haven't been posting my results, but I have been there about once a week for the last 2 months now. My experince is that they have gone a little deeper, but still no downriggers needed.

ixlatall
04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey shadbuster. THat seems to be what I hear a mojority of the time from everyone. However each time I show people around me catch nothing. THe brushpile, handicap docks, launch ramp, down by the McLure dam from thhe shore with powerbait or kastmaster. Form a boat just about everywhere with varios riggs many of which I disliked so much I left them at Mcswain attatched to rocks on the bottom. For some reason everyone always tells me how many they catch but by the end of the day I usually tie them and we combine for zero. I can't figure it out.

shadbuster
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey ixlatall, I know what you mean their are certain lakes where people take me telling me it is hot and I show up and nothing! McSwain does have lots of snags, but in my experience the handicap docks don't have to many snags. The spots that produce the most for me are to the right and left of the dock. As for the rig I just use the standard powerbait rig, with weight, swivel, and 1 foot leader. I think a lot of it has to do with the time of day, I usually show up to the lake before sun up and am leaving with my limit by 9 am or 10 am, just when the other fisherman are showing up and the bite is slowing down :D. But I have still been able to catch fish there during the middle of the day just not as fast, but I guess for some reason some lakes produce for some guys and don't produce for others :-/.