PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 3-20

Spartan
03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
My dad and I, in preparation for our trip to pyramid this weekend took our boat out on the lake for a quick test run and tune up since we haven't used it since i went up to college. Figuring we would just have fun we trolled around the south end for an hour and a half, no hits but saw something very interesting. On top of all the trees that had been placed in the lake, massive carp were splashing around as well as the shoreline in the reeds. I'm guessing it's their spawning season but i have never seen this before. While being there we didn't see any trout but we heard someone knocked a 23 lb striper by the dam. Also a lot of trout down that way too. next time when we have more time we will definitely head that was as the algae bloom in the south end was pretty thick at some points. All in all it was a great day to be out on the water.

fat_fish
03-21-2009, 12:04 AM
yeah those carp are noisy love makers. causing camotion and splashing around in 2 ft of water. shame on them...get a room.

ff

Dro510
03-21-2009, 01:19 AM
23lb striper???!!! Is this Confirmed??

Zebco Kid
03-21-2009, 05:44 AM
I took the day off work, and went with Olive (the yellow lab) to Del Valle. I thought today was going to be The Day, but it turned out to be just okay. Two planters to the boat. On the water at 7:20. Fish in the boat at 10AM and 10:15. A few bites in between, but nothing firm. Both of my fish were caught on 2" white grubs (with the light brown fade) toplined at 1.7 at 150 feet. I think if I had both poles setup with that choice, I would have done better as the two came with each pass through the area just south of Swallow along the east wall.

A couple folks shouted out for Sniffers on the radio, but either A) not knowing my name, never replied back, or B) my radio is broken.

As far as the Striper is concerned. I watched a fellow and his wife work a fish for 20 minutes near the dam. It was really impressive. That fish was pulling them all over the place. I spoke to them at the dock. He had 6 lb test, and just had to keep playing it until there was no more fight left. I paid the wife (assumption ...could have been a lover *:-?) a compliment as she handled the boat perfectly throughout the effort. She knew just where to place the boat. They looked like they were choreographed. She said she'd been fishing since she was 6 years old. Landing this fish was definitely a team effort. Without the movement of the boat, I would imagine the fish would have left that 6lb test back on the boat.

As 20 minutes is a long time to watch someone elses dream come true, I finally had to move on and find my own. We crossed wakes in the narrows and they held it up for me. Nothing less that large and impressive. They said it was caught on a worm while looking for trout.

DG

Spartan
03-21-2009, 09:59 AM
i didn't personally see the striper but i was told by the man who was inspecting the boats that he saw it as they were pulling out. that sure would have been a blast to catch on 6 lb test!

Mackattack
03-21-2009, 08:18 PM
23lb striper at DV is do able and I bet there are even bigger.

Mackattack

johnbfishin
03-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I looked for the lake record but I couldn't find it, I think it's around 40#'s.