PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on side planers

Lil_Richy
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I have never used a side planer before but was wanting to give them a try. Any advice or recommendations as to brands and types would be appreciated.Also, are there any tricks to using them?
Thanks for the help!
Rich

FISHERWALLY
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Send a pm to kevin (slapabow) he seems to have it dialed in on the planers.

john ;)

Dblhkup
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Reeltor and myself started using them a few weeks back. *Seps makes a good light one. $15. The neat trick on the Seps unit is that it has a spring loaded center piece that you can change that puts it either to port or starbord sides. *I have not caught a fish off of it yet though! >:( *Only have tried it once so far. *I am concerned about the additional drag it will create when you have a fish on. *The point of the side planner is to get your line out of the boats wake and up next to the shore line where they might be fish. *I also have tried a styrofoam unit that is bigger and heavier and only goes to port or starbord. *Don't recall the brand, but it is more difficult to use. *
I would like to hear from others on the drag issue and if anyone has has sucess using a side planner.

okie
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
i havent got 1 yet, but i am under the impression that there is a clip on the planer that releases the line when you get a strike like on a downrigger, with the planer you need an extra line to hold the planer.
i could be wrong, i have been once or thrice

rodney_rich
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
sounds like a good idea but I have yet to try one, any more info on them would help. do you need 2 lines? :)

Slapabow
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks FW, but Ironhead is the man ;)

kayakfisherman
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Seppís makes a nice one as mentioned when the fish strikes the line releases from the adjustable arm part and slides down your line to the lure so there is some drag from the planer as you fight the fish. Obviously there is another snap swivel that stays attached to your line so you donít lose the planer board. I seem to brake the plastic adjustable arms before I get much of a chance to use them, and they seem to like slower speeds under 2 mph, but I have not used it much so I donít have it dialed in. There is a brand new one by off shore tackle *it is the LLC OR34 Mini-Planer Board. http://www.thenextbite.com/site/featured_article.cfm?owner=F93FD36E-E1F8-94C4-74C2D8A52E5101EE
This looks good it can go left and right and folds but I cant find it in any stores, or even the off shore tackle site. But I would think it will be available soon.
I should also mention this is just one type of side planer set up, it is the one that requires the least amount of gear. There is other systems that require more gear but your line will release from the planner board and allow a better light line fight.

Ironhead
02-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Here is a great link.

Search buttom is a great tool....

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1153425294/1

JMat
02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Church's makes some excellent side planer... *They have three different sizes to match whatever set-up you have. *I have the smallest ones and they work well but and f13 Rapala is the absolute max. *One of my friends had the larger ones and I love the way they work and they can drag much bigger hardware but for me they would be too much trouble because I fish out of a 12ft boat. *For a larger boat they're awesome. *If you need any tips on using them feel free to PM me and I can also send you a link to the place I bought mine from. *

JMat

PS I've seen the SEP's side planers in use and wasn't a big fan.

ratss427
02-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I also want to give a vote for the luhr jensen pink planers.they are cheap.you can run them 3 feet from shore.and not cry if you get snagged up and loose one......they break down .and can be stored in your tackle box......you can adjust the trip tension to suit your need.and they are both left and right all in one.we use them a lot when we troll with many rods.toplining out back.downriggers of the sides.and ,sideplaners toplining off the sides.they are a great addition to your arsenal.

Semperfifishing
02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I have had excellent results with SEPS. Best to put your line out about 50 to 100' behind the planer.
I like to keep my speed at about 2.5 mph.
This unit works well with medium to smaller spoons, needlefishand such but not as well with spinners..a bit too much drag.

ratss427
02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Best to put your line out about 50 to 100' behind the planer.
[smiley=clap.gif]

[smiley=clap.gif]
Very good advice with any planer.or most trolling approaches:get the bait as far behind the boat as conditions will allow.

Ironhead
02-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Remember, we are talking about two totally different approaches with planer boards. The small in-line($15) will not do well in rough water. Great to start with but...... I used the seps for a couple of years and now run the big boards. I see a lot of guys running the large boards out of 12' boats. If you want any specifics, feel free to PM and I will answer questions. These are tremendous weapon when fish are shallow and used right.

Ironhead

Semperfifishing
02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
IRONHEAD:
Excellent point..I switch to a larger planer with wind and wave.
I just use the SEPS when I am fishing with light gear and calm water.

trollin olin
02-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I am still curious about using outriggers, mentioned a while back. I would still like to give them a try at Eagle or Shasta. I don't really want to pay out like 70.00 bucks each though. Anybody out there made one, seems easy to make? They work great in Mex., but anything works there I think.

Semperfifishing
02-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Outriggers..for a freshwater fishing and a boat under 25' they would not be much more than a real pain. One would wear themselves out rigging and catching 5 trout.

Even now much of the pro saltwater people are using more side planners.

I used to have a 27' whaler with outriggers..fine for a billfish..but still a lot of work.
if I had that boat now I would go to side planners on that.

Besides..I was at Pedro the other day and did just fine trolling 100' back in my wake..no planers.

blkdog812
02-07-2009, 10:54 AM
sep are great little planners: need to modify them with some extra swivels on the arms and longer rods w/ heavier line size 10-14lb seem to help them work better too. they troll up to 1/2 oz spoons fine. have caught tons of fish on them over the years. once released they dont really interfear with the fight. just put a bead as a stop at the leader swivel to stop it from slidding all the way to the lure

GuyBrown
02-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Great posts, links, comments. Thanks.

Ironhead
02-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Besides..I was at Pedro the other day and did just fine trolling 100' back in my wake..no planers.

Just hard to get 5 feet off shore with that method and some times that is where you need to be.