PDA

View Full Version : **Scotts Flat Lake**

PorterO
12-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey guys. I ussually go fishing up there at least a few times each year. I was thinking about making a trip up there soon. I always fish the spring time. Memorial day - July. Just wondering if anyones been up there. I saw they wont be stocking it next year... sad .... do you guys know if the trout season is still open over there right now? Or if it would even be worth fishing? Ive been salmon fishing on the sac lately for no fish. Just tired of getting skunked and want to try something new. Any info would be appreciated.

Hookjaw OG
12-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I am local to the area. My name is Shaun.
I fish this lake often all year. Dfg plants Scotts heavily in the spring/summer with rainbows. Their season is all year.
You are correct, they will recieve no plants through Jan 2010, if I'm wrong on the date, DFG has it on their site. This is a concern of mine also and others too. The Kokanee fishing there is slow and small. Their Smallmouth Bass fishing is good (I catch several each year trolling-and nice ones, two to three pounds). The Browns are there, but I am certain that they have had a few bad years of spawning. I haven't caught any small browns there in a long time.
So this leads to poor fishing for trout there, unless they change the law when it expires(2010).
Scotts has big bows, though. They are caught in the fall/winter mostly. I expect this winter to be fair due to the low water and when the water comes, it will bring up the big 'uns.
Shaun

DraginBalls
12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I have fished the lake 5 times in the last months. There are alot of fish right now. Troll watermellon dodgers and a crawler. you will get your limit everytime. My friends have been speed trolling big raplas. He brought in an 11 lb brown 3 weeks ago. Most of the rainbows have been small.

Good luck

PorterO
12-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I may try to go up there in the next couple weeks. The weather has been so nice lately I think it would be worth it. I wonder how low the water is up there..... When i was up there on memorial day the water was about 3-4 feet below the spillway. Would you guys suggest fishing the upper or lower lake? By the way I fish from the bank too.

DraginBalls
12-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Well I have been to lower as well and have not done very well. I would go to the upper lake. The Cascade is the best for fishing off the bank but they dont open the gates early. So your best bet would be the other side. I did good with a clear bober and a worm. The fish are finning everywhere.

Hookjaw OG
12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Cascade shores side opens at sunrise, just like the other side. The guy that lives there doesn't mind you showing up early either.
But if I were to bank fish, I'd go to lower. Walk towards the dam, at least to the second cove. Blow up a worm 2 feet off the bottom. Make sure you have stout line though, because the browns will drag you into the brush, trees and everything they can find.
I have good luck there almost every time. If it is sunny and no wind, you have to get there real early, or you have to stay real late to catch any browns. Bad weather is your best bet there.
Shaun

PorterO
12-04-2008, 05:06 PM
wheres the cascade shoreline at? I always go near the Damn/Spill way on the upper lake near the campgrounds. then sometimes we drive down to the lower lake. I didnt think there was a gate on that road to the lower lake. I always thought that was a public access spot.

Hookjaw OG
12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
There is no gate. Lower Scotts is off of Scotts Dam Rd. It's about a mile from the Scott's gate.
Take the Broad Street exit, turn right. Go through the first stop sign. Go through the second too and go up the hill and around the corner to the right (put your blinker on to the right if anyone is coming) and at pasquale rd too. At Quaker hill rd turn left. Go until you go down the steep hill and then turn left at the stop sign by the store. Turn right at the first street past the store and follow the LAKE signs.
Shaun

PorterO
12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
thanks shaun. ive never been on that side of the lake before. Ill most likely try the lower lake earlier in the day. then if that doesnt produce anything i may go up the the upper lake and try it out. maybe if the water is low enough ill be able to walk around it. ill let you guys know how i do when i end up goin.

fish on

Hookjaw OG
12-05-2008, 04:50 AM
I'll be at either one on Sunday.
Good Luck and tight lines

Captain_Morgan
12-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I live in Penn valley & have fished lower Scotts on a float tube a couple times this year & think its a perfect pond for tube'in. I have also fished from a boat, on the upper & the lake can be hit or miss. I would think right now.. before it gets snowed in would be a perfect time to hit either! I've had good success with olive wooly buggers & slow sinking line,I fly fish when on a tube, & lower scotts is great for that. * GL! Bring back pictures.
Welcome to the boards Shaun!!! 8-) You must live up here in gold country.

Hookjaw OG
12-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah, lived in Penn Valley, Grass Valley and Nevada City since 1986.
Funny you mentioned a wooly bugger and lower scotts together. I caught a pound and a half Kokanee there, 15 1/2 inches and just getting a hook jaw. A fat one, he fought hard. I caught him with a dodger and wooly bugger.
Thanks for the welcome, I've never thought of a fishing forum before....

Hookjaw OG
12-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Just got back... We fished Lower Scotts early and got a regular sized brown (15 inches) and then nothing, so we left and went to Upper about 9. Tried some rippin' with the rapalas and caught a little bow, then nothing. We switched to slow trolling with dodger worm combos and one rod with a fly (three total). We caught nine, all small.
Shaun

PorterO
12-07-2008, 04:05 PM
thanks for the report

Hookjaw OG
12-08-2008, 05:21 PM
You didn't go?
I heard there was an 11lb and a 13 pounder caught. One I heard of here, one from Dean up there at Scotts. I asked him how many little ones he sees and he said very few, which leads me to believe there has been some unsuccessful spawns, too many predators, or both. He agreed. The problem is now being addressed by the courts (by the environmentalists) and they are on the right track, but maybe for the wrong reasons.
Scotts is the perfect example. There is Trophy Browns, Trophy Smallmouth Bass, big Bluegill, big catfish, decent sized Largemouth Bass, some decent sized rainbows and small Kokanee. Let me tell you, that is a broad spectrum of competition. Then add HUGE plants of rainbows and low water conditions.... lots of eaters and not many breeders. This is why the Kokanee population is so scarce there.
Lower Scotts has a very good population of Kokanee, but they are hard to catch and next to big trees that are in the water (standing almost straight up, just leaning with the current).

PorterO
12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah I didnt go, but I may go in the next few weeks. How high was the water there?