PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain what is meant by "Top-Lining"?

Zebco Kid
11-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure what this means. Could someone please explain the technique.

Thank you.

DG

Dennis
11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Toplining is fishing without downriggers or weight. Typically just using the lure and a swivel to prevent line twist. The target is fish just below the surface. Long setbacks help as the fish will move to the sides and then circle back. For Camanche I typically start with setbacks of 140' - 150' On crowded lakes like Amador shorter setbacks help avoid other boats, there I'll use 65' but I've seen 35' work from time to time.

kokaneekid
11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Get a set of flashers (Model T) or any other one of your choice and put on a (wedding ring) tip it with a (crawler) let out about 75 -100 feet of line with no weight and... wa la... your top lining..oh this is also performed on the boat while you are travleing aboout 1.2-1.9 MPH *

Reel simple no weight on the line ...it's a term that people use when they are trolling some sort of set up just below the surface of the water ... ;) At least thats what I call it, hope this helps.
:D

Zebco Kid
11-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks Dennis. I'm new to the game, and started with downriggers, so I wasn't familiar with the term. Much obliged.

DG

chicofishrmen
11-30-2008, 09:48 PM
DJ,

It's a way of trolling, but no weights or downriggers are used. Long setbacks are the norm ie. your lure is 100+ feet behind the boat. It is a technique used mostly (if not only in the winter, after the lakes have turned over, for trout & inland salmon species).
Welcome to the boards!

Zebco Kid
11-30-2008, 09:49 PM
By the way, sounds like a fun way to fish when it's working.

DG