PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Hogs with GOLDENTROUT and Hooks

mrsockeye
11-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Saturday I had the much anticipated return of Hooks to my boat. *He was there for the 65 fish opening day madness. *I promised "exponentially better chances for a fish over 24 inches." *Of course, I failed to put a fish over 24 inches in the boat. *Between him, myself, and the Catfish King we did get 25 fish, and had one triple hookup. *Unquestionably the best part of the day was that triple hookup right at sundown, and the best part was we were toplining. *We had seen fish rising, and we all put a Lyman on and pulled it right through them, bam 3 fish on. *At one point, Hooks looked at my fishfinder and asked with some concern, "Is that right?" *It was saying 6 feet, and I said, "Yeah, no big deal." *Sorry no big fish Don, maybe next time.
Day 2
Today would be a much different day from the tough bite that we experienced on Saturday. *We started out toplining right off the bat, fishing in the shade of the rocks. *GOLDENTROUT got the first fish in about 5 minutes. *Then, I tried to get in real tight to the rocks, GOLDENTROUT says, "Holy crap, there's a big rock right there!" *Next thing I know, my boat is stuck on the rocks! *Ran aground. *I lifted my motors, and luckily hadn't damaged my prop. *We drifted off, and caught a few more toplining. *Then we went out just a little bit farther and deeper, and found the mother lode. *We wound up landing about 40 fish, and got 2 pigs, along with one other pig SDR. *Awesome day Justin, nice net job on the big boy. *Don, I'm wishing you a big one, maybe next time.
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7803/1020297eq4.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1020297eq4.jpg)
7 pound 2 ounce Pig
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2996/1020298bn7.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1020298bn7.jpg)
The same fish, what a beauty
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5186/1020301wq7.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1020301wq7.jpg)
Another Pig, this one was 5 pounds 10 ounces

SneakAttack
11-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Suh-weet! Glad to hear you didn't bork the prop!

Lokks like a good time was had by all, congrats on the fish!

SA

Slapin_Bass
11-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Way to go again man. Its great when you talk about 25 as a so-so day ;D ;D ;D Awesome story about the triple. Reminds me of saltwater fishing!

GOLDENTROUT
11-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Very nice day, thanks again Mike. You forgot to say we had three doubles and I sank a hook in my hand with a 3lbr on the other hook. I dont know what pulled harder me or the fish ;D ;D ;D

hooks
11-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Great fish you got there Mike. Why didn't you hand it off to GOLDENTROUT? ;D

I'm ready to go! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I had a great time Saturday! Great laughs and sharing of info and catching fish in between. The smoked fish was excellent. 8-)
Thank you very much!

I ordered some lures today. :-X

Fished Tahoe today 3 hours for 2 macks. 3lbs. and 6lbs. Spent 2 hours fish finding from 90' to 180'. Very few fish marked on the Tavern hole side.

Mackattack
11-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Way to go Mike and friends, looks like you may be in the hunt for another SWH 50$ monthly prize. Have you thought about getting a jet river runner, they dont draft much at all but can be expensive when suck up ****te ?

Mackattack

drstressor
11-16-2008, 08:41 PM
It was saying 6 feet, and I said, "Yeah, no big deal.

I see that you're still fishing too deep. ;) ;D

Don't give up on running those lures right against the rocks. The really big ones like to hold right up against them and they don't like to move much to chase a lure.

Welded aluminum hulls are easy to repair. Plus, it doesn't matter that your depth finder doesn't work. ;D

Majakat
11-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Beautiful!! We fished the bank but didnt get THAT close into the rocks, lol -

Nice fish!

Mr_Ed
11-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Glad to hear that you had another great outing and those pictures say it all.

I am hoping that you were using the small motor when you were in 6 feet of water.........right??

I know all about those two rocks *over there on the east side. *Doc has
showed them to me ,up close and "Almost" , several times. Almost crapped my pants the first time it happened!!

All he said was..."Geeeze, Ed, I knew it was there". * "Relax, you got to get in tight".

Now let me get this straight..........you were pulling Lymans in six feet of water ?? I need 10 feet, not to *snag the bottom. * What size plug were you running and at what speed? *This is all new to me.

Hope you keep up with the 30-40 fish days, it has got to be a blast.

MacDaddy
11-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Nice job there Mr. Sockeye... You are makn it hard to hunt with pics like that.. Still like your cutt over Ten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)

tortuga
11-17-2008, 04:37 PM
I gotta get back up there! Those are beauuuutiful fish. Congrats on a successful excursion and thank the fish gods for your props while we're at it. Now I know what to look for.
Tortuga

mrsockeye
11-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Ed, you got it, I was using the little motor. You will undoubetedly hit the bottom in 10 feet of water with the Lymans. We were on a sandy beach, and there was nothing to snag on. The bills of the plugs are all rubbed raw. I bet they were getting water logged.
When I was trolling in tight to the rocks, I have no idea how we didn't get snagged. Most of the time, we would just bounce the plugs right off of them. Go get them Ed.
Another little detail I forgot was the midnight boat ride across the lake Saturday Night. I feel bad about that, it is kind of risky business, and was poor judgement on my part. If a mechanical problem would have occured, we would have been on a slow kicker motor ride back. It was an interesting ride in pitch black, but I still feel bad about taking you on a 40 minute boat ride, on a huge lake Don. You will be invited back soon, and next time we will hit that spot at first light, instead of last.

hooks
11-17-2008, 06:59 PM
The boat ride in the dark didn't bother me at all Mike!! I've done that many a time.

I'll tell ya what though, when I got home I realized just how fried I was. My wife knows me to well and had dinner waiting for me, thank God. ;D

Check it out bro. Bigger things are to come in more ways than one. 8-)

Berryessa Kid
11-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Nice job at Pyramid! I have been enjoying all of your reports and info. Thanks and keep them coming. The size of the lake can be overwhelming to a new comer.... One can learn a great deal simply by observing and reading replys carefully ;) I appreciate them very much. Congrats on the ten pounder!!! Steve.

P.S. Sorry to hear about the hooked hand GT..... :(
I bet triple doubles helped heal the pain 8-) 8-) 8-)

CHICKFISHING58
11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Mike,
Once again a great fishing trip for you and the boy’s [smiley=dancingorange.gif]

[smiley=yikes.gif]I could never get that close with my boat I would have a fit maybe some day I will get the balls for it. Keep up the good work I always enjoy reading your post :-*