PDA

View Full Version : Eagle in December?

jetlag
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I have fished eagle several times in the summer and early fall. A few buddies and I are going up in the middle of December(weather permitting). Can you still catch fish around youth camp or are most of the fish in the north? Same lures? If I bring my fly rod what type of flies work well that time of year. Not looking for your hot spot or lure just some general info about that time of year.
Thanks in advance
Bob

SuperDave
10-20-2008, 07:39 PM
You just need to have brass balls in your sack to fish there in December. Open the dictionary to "Cold" and it says, "Eagle Lake in December". Water temps get into the 30's so slow everything way down and use the typical stuff.

Majakat
10-21-2008, 04:45 AM
We are gonna be there over thanksgiving - I have heard the fishing can be great if the weather holds out, but we are gearing up for cold too!

lildude
10-21-2008, 05:45 AM
If you can stand the cold , fishing at youth camp should be excellent. I've always said that you don't catch the big ones until there's ice on the dock. But be prepared for possibly very cold conditions, things can freeze up real quick, and I mean everything. A group of us used to fish there in Dec. on a regular basis, but as age has creeped up on us we tend to go alittle earlier in the year, much warmer and still plenty of fish. GOOD LUCK and be sure to post when you get back.

FISHERWALLY
10-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Hey all I will also be up there thanksgivin week for 9 days from nov 21 to the 29th I will be staying in susanville with my grandsons but I will be fishing eagle about every day. I am usually on marine ch 69 and i usually go out regardless of the weather unless its snowing so bad I cant pull the boat back out ?? If any one is going to be up there give me a shout.

Sincerely

fisherwally ><)))))))))> :D

tinytrout
10-22-2008, 05:15 PM
I have been fishing Eagle for 25 years and I have fish it twice in December. Can,t believe I went up a second time in December. Bone chilling cold, snow and if the wind picks up at all fishing is just miserable. Oct and first part of Nov is much better. But if you must go make sure you have a place with a good wood burning stove or a good heater.

Chadzilla
10-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Last time I was there in December some poor guy was bank fishing with a worm and bobber before the sun came up.... when the sun came up an hour later he found out his bobber and worm weren't doing well for a good reason... they were on top of the ice.

My only recommendation would be to bring 2-3 jackets/liners you can layer, gloves, face mask, some good socks and shoes (lined), and a heater for your boat. Yikes, it's gonna be cold! However, there shouldn't be much pressure and the potential is there for some great fishing. Regardless, you'll be coming home with some stories to tell.

jwirch
10-22-2008, 08:06 PM
DRESS WARM - MAN ITS COLD UP THERE :o IN THE TEENS SOMETIMES- FISH EARLY IN OUR SPOT AT BREAK OF DAWN 8-)

billfisher
10-23-2008, 11:01 AM
How cold can it get in late November and during December at Eagle Lake?

COLD!!!!

In the early morning propane stoves won't light, fishfinders won't work and any water on the bottom/floor of your boat at the end of the day will be a sheet of ice in the morning.

If the wind is blowing its a tough place to be out of doors let alone out on the water. But, it can also be a good time for fishing and the wind can even help. On choppy days that time of year people will shore fish with a bobber and a jig and catch nice fish. But it still sounds like a brutal day to me to be sitting out in the wind watching a bobber.

Have fun. :)