PDA

View Full Version : Lake Clementine (near Auburn, CA)

imacamper
09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Well I've been away for a while but made my way back to the boards. *I see there's basically no salmon fishing this year. *:( *Guess I'm gonna have to fish for other species...

For day trips, I'm all about staying close to home. *That way I get more time on the water. * ;) *I stumbled across Lake Clementine near Auburn, CA. *According the the CA Parks web site (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1141), it *contains trout, bass, and catfish. *I'm thinking of giving it a try but wanted input as to if this will more likely be a fishing trip or just a nice boat ride.

Cheers,

Drew

Garden_Valley_Fish
09-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi Drew good to see you back on the boards again. As far as Clemintine goes I havent fished there for ever It was the last place my Dad and fished together. There are some BIG bass in that lake. We used to geet the trout on bait soaked in the back of the lake but that was before I did trolling. PM me sometime and I would be happy to join you fishing!!

fish_junky
09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Good to see you post again Drew. Was wondering where you been. On Clementine make sure you have good brakes. Once you leave the HWY it's all down hill and real steep for miles. There is also some real hair pin turns to. As for fishing never maid it. I took a drive up to scout it out with no boat. I changed my mind due to the road.

Are you going to the Pyramid Fest?

Denny1969
09-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I have never fished it for trout, but there is a nice population of Smallmouth Bass and panfish. I usually fish out of my kayak or float tube. Working the shoreline is very effective for me.

If there are any trout left in the lake, you might have to get down deep. To be honest, I never explored this lake for trout.

Denny

fishpeddler1
09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
took my son out there a few months ago. motored around in a 12' gregor. it's a scenic lake but be careful when you get up towards the far end. it gets real shallow real quick. then it gets passable again until you get to the upper put-in. we didn't have much luck pulling trout stuff, but some others that were anchored were having some fun on some carp...
good luck if you go, and watch out for the waterskiers, it's a very narrow lake and the wake action can get kinda annoying if it's a busy day out there.

imacamper
09-05-2008, 07:57 AM
PM me sometime and I would be happy to join you fishing!!
Sounds good. *I can't remember... Do you live near Auburn?

imacamper
09-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Are you going to the Pyramid Fest?
I don't know yet. *I need to check my schedule and make sure I can be gone that weekend. *If I do go and my brother doesn't come with me, then I will arrive on Thursday and stay until Monday. *Should make a nice trip.

imacamper
09-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like it would be worth a trip to see what happens. I'll definitely report here when I go. Maybe next week...

Cheers,

Drew

cjskier
09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
I lived in auburn all spring/summer and went there only once, as I had never been there. Personally I will never go there again. Pointless for trout fishing, although there could be a few by the dam, or in winter maybe. If you want to fish for little small mouth and carp ok then. ::) But thats just not my choice for a day on the water. Very small and crowded waterway. :( I would say go just about anywhere else really.

And you still have to pay! >:(

I think this is one of the only lakes I would ever actually avoid. *:'(

ric1ric
09-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Drew nice to have you back. It's a nice little lake has some sand bar camping in the back thats nice all boat in stuff. If you are going there especially on a weekend go very early parking is at a min. If your late you may have to park on the road and its a walk.
Hope to see you at pyramid it's a fun one and lots of places for that rigg of yours on the beach.

Garden_Valley_Fish
09-05-2008, 07:25 PM
PM me sometime and I would be happy to join you fishing!!
Sounds good. *I can't remember... Do you live near Auburn?

Yea Drew Im in Garden Valley near George town. There is also Sugar pine in Forest hill. Hope to see you at the fest.

Darin
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I live in Foresthill and fish the area allot. There are trout in Clementine but this time of year they will be deep and tough to catch. There is great smallmouth fishing if you are interested in that. If you are looking for trout then Sugarpine is your best bet. DFG stocks it and there are allot of nice holdover fish there. If you have downriggers troll near the dam and up towards the launch ramp. I usually get most of my fish 30-50ft deep. Troll a night crawler behind a small dodger and you will catch all the fish you could want. Keep an eye on your depth finder. There are a few high spots in the middle of the lake.

Here are a couple of usefull links

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/maps_brochures/index.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreation/arrd/summer.shtml

Good Luck!!

GCinGV
09-11-2008, 06:17 AM
This time of the year, for Bass try ľ oz, white, tandem, spinner baits with a salt and pepper trailer, along the west shore in the late afternoon and evening.
Because of the depth of the lake the shallower strike zone is real narrow around the lake and the fish hold pretty deep in the cover so throw them as far as you can into the tulles or up on the bank and pull the lure into the water. Also helps a bunch if you can lay the spinner in the pocket with as little splash as possible so you wont spook them. Donít give up if you donít hook up right away, just keep casting and moving and youíll hook up some nice ones. Seems to take lots more casting per fish then most lakes for some reason, probably because of the narrow strike zone.
Good Luck
GC