PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing from a kayak

mwcoleman
09-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Can anyone give some Ideas on how to catch trout from a kayak. I'm usually at Lake Berryessa.

NorCal_OC
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
From a couple of days ago in General Freshwater. The question was for Sierra lakes, but it will give you some ideas.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1220230679

kayakfisherman
09-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Another way to troll deep is use a 6lb. main line to a three way swivel use a 4 lb. line off the bottom of the 3 way swivel to a 1 to 3 ounce sinker. Then run your trolling lure of choice on the last of the 3 way swivel. I sometimes rig doggers or blades. Also when the fish are up top a woolly bugger or grub way back 100' to 200' back when the wind is up and drift down wind. That works really well if you catch 1 fish paddle up wind get your lines just like the first time and drift/ paddle threw the same area. I also like to troll 2 poles so you can use different lures and fish different depths till you dial the bite in. So when you hook a fish with two lines out I just let the one without the fish sink, I deal with the fish then reel up the line that was on the bottom reset your lures crawler/sent start paddling and reset both lines. Have fun.

jetfishn
09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I use a spinning outfit with 8lb cx p line, first I put a 1/2oz barrel weight on the line, then a Sep's watermelon or fruit salad #4 dodger, then attach a wedding ring nightcrawler leader rig, add 1/2 nightcrawler, troll that at 1-1.5 mph, it will get you down about 12 ft, a 1 oz barrel sinker will get you down 16 ft approx, I do quite well with this rig out of my kayak and regular boat too. We got three limits of rainbows last wed using this exact setup.

fishpeddler1
09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
have you tried this site yet?

Live link removed....

GW_Extreme
09-03-2008, 07:23 AM
I have had good luck with leadcore in the Sierra lakes.

YakMotor
09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I tried leadcore and found it a pain to use due mainly to kinking and sticking in the rod guides. *I also tried a Pink Lady diver to get me down to 25' at Silver Lake, but it felt like trolling a tacklebox. *I've now got a Scotty Laketroller downrigger that I'm stll learning to use. *For weight I made my own stabilizer tail by hacksawing a kerf in a 1 1/2lb salmon sinker then soldering in a thin brass plate I got at a hobby shop. *With fine sandpaper I cleaned the brass then used flux and small torch to "tin" it. *I'd never soldered anything like this so it took awhile and a puddle of solder on the floor before I got it right. *Works good tho.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1541/DwnrigweightC820.jpg

I am most used to top lining Power Grubs or wooley buggers at Lake Amador during the cold months when the big planted trout are on top. *When the weather warms you got to go deeper to gt 'em.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5525/yakrigger049cg6.jpg

I knew I had some photos with trout it just took awhile to find 'em with over 1300 now hosted by ImageShack! Gotta bass on the stringer too!
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/539/yak2byjwwithbass4751fx.jpg

Here's Maui_Mark with FISH ON!
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8058/mmarkhobieriggeronamadoki0.jpg

maui_mark
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey! Nice rig Yakmotor! I really like the way the downrigger weight came out! I use a Scotty Laketroll also, but the one that fits in a Scotty fishing rod holder base ( I installed 2, one each side. I use one for a downrigger & the other for an additional rod holder). I fish out of a Hobie Outback also (pedal powered), as it frees up my hands for fishing. It's also good exercise. Try 1/2 a baby nightcrawler threaded on a #8-10 Owner Misquito hook, with just a small bit of its tail hanging free. A good 4lb test line, a long setback early and late in the year (toplining) and shorter setbacks when fishing 25-30 feet or more off the downrigger during the warmer months. All the usual lures will work also. Good luck to you. *Mark

T_s_dad
09-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I would highly recomend the Hobie Outback as well. It dosen't disturb the surface of the water and keeps the hands free. I have only been once but it was a 4 day trip.

We surface trolled and it was the first week of October. We were at Caples but I guess that is not the place to be this October. We landed many fish up to 3 pounds. All rainbows until the last fish. At this point my buddy Rob had the largest fish of the week. Then it hit.

I was trolling a Panther Martin and had just gone over some huge rocks. My rod bent in half and my first thought was to try and save my lure. I opened the bail and spun a 180. Got back over the "snag" and tried to free my lure. After a couple of tugs I got a tug back. My heart started to thump and it was on. This fish took a huge run and I followed. Soon I was about a 1/2 mile out. Then I yelled "color" as if I was Tuna fishing.

Funny thing is a 32 inch trout doesn't fit into a small trout net. I tried 3 times then we headed to shore and she just followed. It was an 11 pound Mac and I did a beach landing.

Ya, go fish in a kayak. It can be a huge rush.