PDA

View Full Version : Amador...

Trout_Terminator
08-09-2008, 03:09 AM
i got the itch... how much longer do we have?

Irish
08-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Depending on how much water we get, I would think sometime during the middle of November. It really depends on the rain.

outdoorsman
08-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Ive seen while bass fishing. They just kinda fin the surface and go back down.

camotracker
08-10-2008, 07:38 AM
last 2 years they've been planting during the middle of october. i know the feeling. the itch has been there for awhile now.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

jiggity49
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
There are trout to be had there though out the summer you just need to fish at night. ;)

superT
08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
How much water in Amador now? Anyone know?

clamkin
08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
If we don't get a big batch of rain this year Amador is in trouble, as are many other lakes. Those low water levels are playing hell with the water quality. That lake needs a good flushing. Plants will make the fish available, but it won't be WFO.

Does anyone know if the hatchery recovered and the availability of plants is "back to normal"?

YakMotor
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Water from Pardee kept Amador's level as it was at fest time until mid June. *Length of time at this level allowed for a more pronounced erosion "ring" to form which I marked with a white line. *The arrows point to the same rock. *It's not too early for rain dances, as like elsewhere, we're dearly going to need it!
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8761/amadorwater5to808bf3.jpg
As for next season's fish my only knowledge comes from what I saw on the fest tour and that was a good number of good sized trout.

superT
08-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Yakmotor, thanks for the photos. It was exactly what I wanted. The water level is disappointing to say the least. It seems to me that the planting program was ended early because of water quality issues related to the low water levels. Pray for rain!

SuperDave
08-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Maybe they will let us fish the tanks this year. ;D ;D

camotracker
08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
the reason whty the planting stopped was one of their tanks broke. by the time they noticed it the fish were all dead. if that would've happed, the fest would've been fun. just my 2 cents

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

SplitTailfisher
08-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I was wondering when yak would chime in, photo's and illistrations great as ever yak. With the water that low, and it is plenty low, how long would it take to fill it back up, days and days of rain? and how long is it going to recuperate the losses of the fish from the tank, Will they just be able to grow double the amount for the one tank in a sufficient time? or will it take say 2 years to get the fish back to the size ready to be planted? just my 2 cents worth.

superT
08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Spilt Tailfisher, You ask some good questions. Where do we go for the answers?

Trout_Terminator
08-12-2008, 11:48 PM
For the rain, we are going to need HEAVY down pours (which will make the fishing SUCK), and we are going to need it for AT LEAST a good month. As for the trout, they are bread to grow fast, and those tanks, from my understanding, aren't that hard to fix. But another factor that comes into play is that there is no salmon season, so i am thinking that amador is going to be a lot more crowed this year because of that. Even though fuel is an arm and a leg, i think people will still go there hell or high water. Oh and yak, no worries man, i already got my head dress on...

http://www.mcpasd.k12.wi.us/KMS/weiss/Semester2/Sounds%20and%20Graphics/RainDAnceBigJPEG.jpg

-TT

YakMotor
08-13-2008, 12:21 AM
My recollection of the story on the hatchery problem was that a main water pipe broke, not a tank. Same effect though fish died.

The watershed for Amador is small with Jackson Creek it's main source starting near Pine Grove only about 12 air miles east. It makes a small target so to speak. I watched weather radar last year and many times saw strong storm fronts seem to split and have cells past north and south. Once the ground got saturated and cells hit the level did rise fast. I don't have a clue how much water was transferred from Pardee, but would guess without it there'd be just a puddle out there now.

They not only raise a good breed of trout here they GROW them. I was reminded the other day how. As I left to run an errand I passed the gas truck filling the tank. Not gasoline ... OXYGEN. They don't just aerate the water they GAS supercharge it!

clamkin
08-13-2008, 08:58 AM
You're forced to use oxygen in a small closed system with high bioloads(ie. lots of fish). Regular aeration won't keep the O2 content up enough and even a small failure of any type becomes disastrous. Keeping the O2 artificially high gives you a bit of buffer, among other things, but nothing is going to save your butt on a main line failure like they had.

My concern is I thought they were planting 2 year old fish. If the break was last year, this could be the "void" year where very few plants are available.

hunkfisher
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Well I can tell you guys this, the creek bed is going to need a bit of water to get that thing going i was home on August 1st and there was NO WATER in the bed, never seen it dry that early usually does that in mid September. Another problem is the Amador water agency is relining and fixing the Amador canal which runs from tabeaud res. to the water treatment plant just outside Sutter Creek, the canal used to supply water for the creeks year round. They started this project last summer has yet to be finished, not a lot but every bit helps. Until December I hope it rains hard and long my fellow sniffers.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Trout_Terminator
08-16-2008, 01:16 AM
hows it lookin out there yak?

YakMotor
08-16-2008, 09:19 AM
A little more like the Grand Canyon each day. *Bass guys, night fishers, and big white egrets are still enjoying it though.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8453/egrethits424475wcn3.jpg

tinytrout
08-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes Rain is the key but let,s hope the people running the water releases don,t drain these lakes after the first big snow in the Sierras (if we get one this year) anticipating a good snow pack and then try to explain their poor decision for jumping the gun again to lower water levels for quote flood control in all these lakes when the snow pack does not reach normal winter levels.

Trout_Terminator
09-01-2008, 02:59 PM
word of wise is October. Called them up yesterday and they said they SHOULD start planting then. Only meens we have 30+- days to go ;)

atavuss
09-01-2008, 07:12 PM
word of wise is October. Called them up yesterday and they said they SHOULD start planting then. Only meens we have 30+- days to go *;)

yea, but we will be dealing with a single lane boat launch again? :(

Trout_Terminator
09-01-2008, 09:09 PM
word of wise is October. Called them up yesterday and they said they SHOULD start planting then. Only meens we have 30+- days to go *;)

yea, but we will be dealing with a single lane boat launch again? * :(

Most likely. They really need to have someone out there directing it almost,

jiggity49
09-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Only made it up there 2 times last season and it was nowhere near as good as it has been in years past. Hopefully it is better this year I can't wait ;D

Trout_Terminator
09-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Only made it up there 2 times last season and it was nowhere near as good as it has been in years past. *Hopefully it is better this year I can't wait ;D

no kiddin eh :-/

white_cap
09-02-2008, 07:12 AM
We ( me & fishing bud Art ) made it there once last year at the end of the season, once we figured out how to fish it, we had a ball. Just canít wait to get up there again.
[smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]

jiggity49
09-02-2008, 07:23 AM
White cap, if you thought you had a blast last year just wait until it really turns on! Hopefully we have a good year this year last year was kind of a bust. Don't get me wrong it was still good fishing but it was nothing like in years past :(

Chubbysourus
09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
oh ya! nothing better then a fall cuttbow! 8-)

white_cap
09-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Boy, Iím chomping at the bit all ready, trust me we will be there ALOT sooner than we were last year
[smiley=excited.gif]

Trout_Terminator
09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Any of you guys leave at like 3 just to be the first to get it (guilty :-[)?

hunkfisher
09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
The fishing was different or difficult last year as compared to other years due to the different type of trout the raised, this year they are going back to the Donaldson like in 2006 and 07 I guess they trued to save money and got a similar fish that wasn't quite up to par with previous stocks, here's high hopes to a great year at Slamador I ll be there in November hopefully the rain gods will shine on us.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]