PDA

View Full Version : packer lake

dinos marine
08-17-2008, 04:16 PM
i just got back from a week at packer lake. the fishing was excellent, c/r 50-60 fish per day. the water was slighly warm, but the fish were on the surface for most of the day. best fishing occured at dawn and dusk. the rainbows avg 12". i did not fish all day, mostly mornings and evenings.

now the strange thing, thur, we saw 30 or so brookies (some nice ones too) swimming at the inlet with thier bodies out of the water. it seemed that they were infected with a fungus. by late afternoon, we had dozens of brookies dead around the lake. i left saturday, but there were dozens of dead brookies around the lake daily. my question, was the lake too warm, and caused the fish to get the fungus? we saw a few rainbows as well. it was a pitiful site to see. we had a fish die off about ten years ago.

i have been fishing the area for about 22 years, but never saw anything that radical. we also spotted alot of large pollywogs in sardine lake (hundreds in the shallows).
:-?

GOLDENTROUT
08-17-2008, 09:00 PM
I was on a hike near Packer lake today and stopped by and saw all the dead brokies. Strange :-? I think your right about the temp and the north end is full of crap too. I also saw four Osprey's catching fish non stop. It was cool the two big ones (one from each pair) keep warning each other with calls and swoops.

dinos marine
08-17-2008, 09:26 PM
forgot to mention, the bald eagle this year. it came out at dawn, would swoop down for a fish, and then leave. would give another flyby around 730a or so. pretty cool.

Mackattack
08-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Packer Lake is not that big and I would guess shallow also. So do you think maybe a fresh stock of brooks that could not adjust to the new pool they were dropped into ?

Mackattack

dinos marine
08-17-2008, 10:36 PM
i think dfg planted late july, and we were there the week of august 11-16th. i think dfg stocked some bad fish. the heads, and mouths have some fungus in them. i saw some fish what looked like rotted flesh, and exposed gill plates. also saw some rainbows floaters that had some fungus on them as well. the stuff is white, and sometimes greenish bluish fuzzy fungus.
i agree its a small lake, and only about 25 feet at its deepest. imho, dfg dosent know that the fish have a dease, and showed up when the lake warmed up??

Mackattack
08-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Did you try Salmon on this trip and any dead fish there ?

Mackattack

dinos marine
08-18-2008, 08:22 PM
we walked over the dam, and saw hundreds of tadpole (HUGE) but no floaters. it seems the fungus (zombie) brookies are only at packer.
the ospreys were happy though!

kras2nova
08-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Evan, the maintainence man at Packer, said he scooped out at least 1,000 dead fish, almost all brookies. I saw them massing in the shallows as well, and some had weird whitish areas on their heads. Bill the resort owner said he had a call in to DFG but had not heard back. Friends saw some dead ones at Sardine too. I just got back from Packer yesterday and Monday I'm calling DFG. It was pretty awful except for the ospreys and the bear.

dinos marine
08-24-2008, 08:09 AM
so there was a bear at the lake this year? we havent seen any for about three years. how was the fishing? were you there for a week?

dinos marine
08-24-2008, 08:18 AM
some pictures from the lake, i hope these come out/. the paw prints are from downieville. :D

http://gi62.photobucket.com/groups/h110/79OWVTDQO2/2008_packer037.jpg
http://gi62.photobucket.com/groups/h110/79OWVTDQO2/2008_packer088.jpg
http://gi62.photobucket.com/groups/h110/79OWVTDQO2/2008_packer107.jpg

kras2nova
08-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Nice pix. I was there for a week but only fished once because the dead trout thing was pretty icky. I caught a rainbow in the "hole" that's out from the tree on the rock. This was our 26th year at Packer. Rumor had it that the fish die-off has happened twice before, ten years ago and sometime earlier than that. I saw two guys with some official looking insignia on their jackets, over by the boy scout canoe area, but by the time I rowed over they had gotten into their truck and left. I'm determined to get some answers on this. I did not see the bear, but he left tracks over at the marsh where he'd been gorging on the fish in the shallows. Osprey sure had a field day.

dinos marine
08-24-2008, 03:04 PM
we fished the week, and did really well on power eggs, green. i noticed that this year, the fish were all over the lake in the middle. i caught some in drifted worms. some on bobbers 2-6 feet below, and every bait in between.
i am sorry to hear that alot of the brookies were dying/dead. it is a trajedy to see such a waste. it seems something was wrong at the hatchery, and it didnt come out until packer lake.
we left, saturday 8/16, and had some conversations with evan, bill , and myself. he was going to find the contact info for the state biologist.
yes it did happen about 10 years ago. the fish died off in late july, we got there in mid august, and still caught fish, but fishing was a little slow.
did u see the eagle? flew down from the inlet in the mornings.