PDA

View Full Version : Hwy 108

dano
08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Anyone got reports on the upper parts of the Stanislaus. thinking about taking a couple of days up there next week. Probably won't venture down to Beardsley even though I love it. How's Clarks fork and Kennedy looking? Wonder if anyone (besides me) fishes Deadmans creek on the pass also. Used to do real well around the chipmunk flats area. I'll probably drop over to the Walker too.
thanks
dano

Slim
08-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Friday, I went up to Kennedy Meadows Lodge for dinner (Specials on Friday is Baby Back Ribs for $12.50) Worth the stop !!! 8-) 8-)

Anyway to your question: I brought the rod but ran out of time to fish because I headed up to the top of Sonora Pass for a night Photoshoot! Those pictures were posted on the "Bite me 11 Campfire" board. So no report sorry !! I did see fish hitting the surface in the evening.

I did photograph a guy fishin near the lodge, didn't see anybody catchin. But I didn't spend much time there.
The water looks great.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Pass%20Trip%2008%2015%2008/Flyfisher2.jpg

Slim

untalan1
08-18-2008, 09:32 PM
My brother and a few friends went up to Kenedy meadows this past weekend from thurs to sat. flyfishing.They just planted on thurs since they saw them actually plant them.He said it was like shooting ducks in a pond ,but the water level was pretty low and getting lower btween the four of them they did catch and release 40 planters over the time they were there.They took a ride to the west walker and didn't fish it because the water was way too low .

dano
08-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks guys
I just have the itch to be up there real bad. I lived at the ranger cabin at Dardanell one year while in college and have camped up there since the mid 60s, so it's a very special area to me.
dano

shon42073
08-19-2008, 06:13 AM
I'm heading up that way tommorrow, I figure if the clark fork is to low, i'll move down below beardsly and fish. I really would like to get some brookies on the clark fork though since i haven't caught any yet this summer. It is a bueatiful place. I've never fished at kennedy meadows, Mostly wild or planted fish ?

dano
08-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Mostly planters at Kennedy, I've caught wild fish in thr upper medow and beyond but they are rare in Deadman CG down. I've caught brookies in Deadman creek from the 8000' falls and down. Below chipmunk flat it gets real tough to fish because of the brush, and fast drop in elevation.
Be sure to post when you get back
dano

shon42073
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Dano, I ment to mention that I fished the clark fork last year in the last week of august and there was still good fast action fishing to be had for small trout, mostly brookies, I fisgured last year was a lower water year then this year is so I'm sure the fishing will be fine. Disaster creek is also an option. I find the best fishing at the end of the clark fork road then hump it upriver as far as you can handle. I'm not to sure about access but i'd really like to work down river from were the clark fork meets the middle stan. the access may be to diffucult, I ain't tryin to break a leg alone on a river. I'll be sure and post when I return, leaving thursday morning for my last multiday sierra trip of the summer, sad but true :'( :'( :'(. But its been a great summer i can't complain.

dano
08-20-2008, 07:50 AM
shon, I'm going to play it by ear once I get there. Always do. Been a few yrs since I fished up the clarks fork, but sounds good. Probably hir eagle and the stan a lot. then I may head up the pass for a stop on deadmar creek and over to the walker. I'll have my camera so I'll have to figure out how to post pics. can't wait to get up there
dano

gdavis40
08-20-2008, 09:41 AM
I just got back from Strawberry - fished above the bridge and below.
The river is low, but the trout are biting. I limited out every day, all rainbows.

spinners, power bait, eggs and worms are all working

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/gdavis40/Strawberry/?action=view&current=sannamacruz2064.jpg
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/gdavis40/Strawberry/?action=view&current=sannamacruz2053.jpg

Good luck!

I love it up there

dano
08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
WTG Ginger,
My son and I were up there in June and had a blast. Lots of fish and we kept what we wanted to eat. Any bleeders/deep caught were for the bbq. They make good tacos
I'll probably concentrate a little higher up this time.
dano

Defender
08-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Just got back from Clarks Fork last PM. Water level is higher than this time last year. Fishing not too great. They stopped planting about two weeks ago due to to state budgetary mess. Camp host said people having some success around Dardenelle and Kennedy.

dano
08-22-2008, 12:46 PM
thanks,
Dardanelle is probably my first stop of the 2 days. Work it over the pass from there. I'll post when I get back. Promises to be a full 2 days
dano