PDA

View Full Version : Lake Shast trout have sores - What are they?

cubzzz
08-11-2008, 02:24 PM
We are going up to Lake Shasta in a month on a houseboat and I would like to know when we caught the trout last year they had sores on the body of the fish - can you still eat them. Last year we did not eat any because we did not know what the sores were. We fish by the dam and catch a lot of trout and salmon but the trout do not look so good. We also like to fish for carp for sport but we can not find any carp by the dam - does anyone know of a good place by the dam to find carp.

Thanks
Jeff

stonesfan
08-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Jeff, If you really want to find Carp, go to CLEAR LAKE...........

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

mrsockeye
08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
The sores you saw are from copepods, tiny little crustaceans that parasitize rainbow trout and kokanee among others. They lay there eggs in the open water, the salmonid swims through them, and they imbed in the skin. The egg then hatches, and a little crustacean parasite is born, hosting off the fish. They are unsightly, but they do no damage to the edibility of the fish. The fish are just fine to eat.

buzzbait
08-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Was there last weekend and fished the Pit River Arm. Didn't catch any trout, but the Smallies we caught looked healthy and they fought hard. Next time I might try the dam for some Bows.

Have fun up there. In the 3 days I was there the water droped what seemed to be about 4 feet. She's a drainin'.

waterdog
08-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Mr Sockeye is right on - they are copods. They are common in most lakes in N. Cal and other areas especially in the summer. They will get worse before they get better with the warmer temps. They generally disappear in the fall/winter when the water temp cools. They are ugly but cause no harm when eating cooked fish and do not affect the meat or flavor.
Waterdog :)