PDA

View Full Version : caples and silver trolling question

fat_fish
07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
My family will be camping there this weekend. This will be my 1st time trolling either of these lakes, so any advise would be wonderful. My fish finder doesn't have my speed. This will be my 2nd time attempting to troll and 3rd time on the water in my 14' aluminum. i have a 9.9 hp and an elec trolling motor. Should i topline or use my dr's? dodgers,flashers, or naked? count down rapalas, castmasters, crawlers, needlefish, or ? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as i will be the so called "fishing guide" for my mom, sis, aunts, uncles, wife, and sister's bf. they will hopefully be doing all of the reeling, and i'll be setting up the rigs and driving. thanks in advance.

ff

hammerdog
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I have been doing well at Silver Lake trolling 12 pound lead core line, attached to 30' of mono, attached to Seps Pro Flasher with 14"-18" leader with threaded night crawler. I troll 2 colors down at less than 1 MPH which puts me down 14 feet. *Been trolling in 20' to 30' feet of water. *

I have seen boats trolling the middle of Silver Lake which is deeper, but not sure how they are doing. * *Most of the fish I catch are planter size, but I did get a 3 pound brown and a 2 pound mac last week. *Good luck

fat_fish
07-21-2008, 09:23 PM
thanks hd-do you use fast action rods 7 or 9 or 5 1/2 ft? also bait cast vs spinning reel? thanks

ff

The_Big_Sinus
07-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I always use 8-10' rods, and rapala's in various sizes (F5-F9, CD5-CD9- the CD's can be tolled a bit faster and they sink at rest) in black/gold and silver/black. *We usually kill them on that. *If you get up while it's still dark, you can usually get bank action on spoons, too.

I'm sure flashers/dodgers/lake trolls and worms work, but I'm too lazy to rig them. *If the fish are deeper than 10', I will use a 1/2 oz. keel sinker to get the plugs down and a 4' leader.

Hope this helps you.

hammerdog
07-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Fatfish- I have been using 6'6" ugly sticks with trolling reels which have a counter on them to keep track of the amount of line i let out. My reels are large enought to hold (10) colors of 12 pound test lead core line. I have also have trolled Rapala's at Silver, caught a few fish on them, but have better luck with night crawlers.

Earlier in the season, I was catching a lot of holdover fish at Silver Lake which were up to 19", but in the last two weeks, have been catching mostly planter size fish. The bite is slower during the full moon cycle, but they are still feeding.

Mackattack
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Every thing you mentioned should work there and you may also want to try some bank fishing under a nice shade tree with a cooler full of your favorite beverage for an afternoon lazy I dont care cause im not working experience. Good luck i will be there sunday 27th for the same good time. [smiley=clap.gif]
Mackattack [smiley=cheers.gif]

fat_fish
07-23-2008, 12:15 AM
thanks guys for the quick responses. goin to the bait shop 2morrow for lead core, mono, and some other stuff. do you think i should bother re-spooling a couple smaller spinning reels w/ 6 lb mono?

hammerdog
07-23-2008, 07:17 AM
thanks guys for the quick responses. *goin to the bait shop 2morrow for lead core, mono, and some other stuff. *do you think i should bother re-spooling a couple smaller spinning reels w/ 6 lb mono? *

Only if you plan on throwing the anchor and fishing with power bait or inflated nightcrawlers.

For info, most of the stuff you need can be bought at Wal Mart cheaper than a bait shop. But if you have specific equipment questions, the bait shop is better place to go for your purchase.