PDA

View Full Version : Need Lake Mary Info

Captain_Kaos
07-15-2008, 07:49 AM
I am planning a trip to Lake Mary the middle of August. Our group will be fishing bank and float tubing. I have never fished there and would appreciate any recommendations on lures, flies and hot rig ups ect. Thanks............Tight lines!!!

EddiedOut
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I assume you are talking Lake Mary in Mammoth Lakes. *I have been fishing that lake since I was a kid. *Some twenty plus years. * You can't go wrong with the standard Sierran rigs and lures. *If you want to guarantee fish, then power bait will catch em. *Use a little bigger weight and get as far out as you can from the shore as there is a shelf.

as far as places to fish from shore goes. try anywhere along the south, southeastern side of the lake, there is a place called the point, where a small stream enters the lake, it is usually crowded, but good fishing, next to that is a place called the beach which has a good parking turnout area. further east where the road hugs the lake and it is steep, is a good spot also, just watch your footing as you head down.

For fun, you can try kastmasters, superdupers, *thomas bouyants or anyother type of spoon.

if the mornings or evening are calm and the fish start hitting the surface try a fly and bubble. *put a clear plastic bubble that you can fill up with water on the line above a snap swivel, then use as long a leader as you can handle and put on a mosquito or Lake Mary Special fly, or some other fly that is dark in color. *Wing it out there and bring it in as slow as you can bear. *Just wait for the slap on the surface and reel em in.

if you want to try for more exotic species; brookies and browns, you cannot miss with night crawlers, pump em up a little to get *them off the bottom and they should work.

if nothing else is working and you are cheap, like me sometimes, we used to have the best luck on marshmallows, though I have not tried them lately.

If you are heading to Lake Mary at Mammoth Lakes, do yourself a favor and head down to Devil's Postpile and fish sotcher or starkweather lakes, they are small, but full of fish. my 6 year old daughter caugh t a 4 lber there two years ago.

Good luck!

BigRichClovis
07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Great place to fish and relax. I went last summer and had a great time. You can rent boats and troll if you want. Also we had luck by the boat rental towards the middle. We rigged up with a power egg with a crawler or power worms drop to the bottom and slowly reel up. Rapalas worked well for the browns. Have a great time.

Captain_Kaos
07-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Thank you soo much for the great infromation.

triggerfish
07-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I lived up there for 2 years,in the 90's. a 1/2 nightcraler,with a marshmellow.on a 12" leader. will get your limit in no time.If Mary is not producing,try George. ;)

Captain_Kaos
07-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks, I think that will be a good set up for the ladys.

triggerfish
07-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks, I think that will be a good set up for the ladys. If you are fishing those lakes this time of year,you should switch over to what the "ladys are using",sooner than later.I always fished the lower Owens river,Crowley lake,and Convict lake! ;)