PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake 7/18/08-7/28/08

duckhuntwater-guy
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm heading up to the lake for ten day's with my family and TC-Trouts family. Are any of you sniffers coming up during our stay? Give us a shout on 69 and share some fishing info.

DHWG

stonesfan
07-12-2008, 04:21 AM
duckhuntwater-guy, I wish I could get ten days off....................

Good Luck up there, catch lots of............ [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

tortuga
07-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Duckwater
We are going to try and get 2 or 3 days up there during that time. Maybe we'll see you up there.
Tortuga

troutfan
07-12-2008, 09:31 AM
We'll be up there on Friday the 18th in an 18' Maxim. Yeah it's a ski boat but it has a kicker and downriggers. ;) ;D

duckhuntwater-guy
07-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Right on,

I will see you guy's on the Lake. Tortuga if you find out what days your going let me know. TroutFan, will you be up there on Saturday? If so I will give you a shout. :)

DHWG

troutfan
07-13-2008, 05:56 AM
I wish we could fish the weekend but we will only be out on Friday. We'll be fishing at Eagle's Nest and between Wildcat and Shrimp Island. Good luck out there! 8-)

digger
07-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Heres a couple shots of last weeks booty. *Miners and wildcat were the prime locations, 30ft down frog pattern needle fish and red dogs in red and gold. *The pics dont really do the fish justice, bear in mind the ice chest is one of those huge 104qt models.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/Agustus0141.JPG
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/Agustus0112.JPG
Was a little smokey at times.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/Agustus0025.JPG
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/Agustus0121.JPG

bydesign
07-13-2008, 09:54 AM
What do we do with all those fish we catch at Eagle??? I recently spent 14 days at the lake and 3 of us caught limits almost every day. We tried to catch and release but even after bringing the fish to the boat as quick as possible most did not survive and we kept them.
You can only keep so many and eat so many and they are hard to give away at the camp site. I will try and go barbless next time but after fishing for two weeks a lot of fish can go to waste if you are not careful.
I know you can only keep 2 per day or 4 total trip so that means you stop fishing or throw back dead fish if you have 4 fish at camp??

gfishes
07-13-2008, 11:00 PM
You are correct...2 per day per person and 4 in possession...the DFG have been known to go into the campsites and check...had a situation a couple of years ago where a couple was going out, three times a day and coming in with 2 fish apiece...then, they would can the fish in their motor home...someone alerted the DFG and they got nailed pretty good...I talked to the sheriff up there on Friday...he said the lake has gone down 8 inches the past month, so catch and release is going to get tougher on the fish as the alkiline level rises...

Jetspray
07-13-2008, 11:55 PM
We'll be going up the week of the 4th of Aug, family camping trip. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law teach in Susanville and they will join us. Probably camp at Christie due to low water levels though. Good luck on the fishing. The smoke was so bad 2 weeks ago that you could only see 1/3 rd across the lake and it was hard to breathe.....Jetspray

duckhuntwater-guy
07-14-2008, 06:36 AM
Digger, nice looking fish. Our family and friends eat fish four or five nights for dinner while we are up there. As far as possession, my wife and three kids all fish. My family could have twenty fish in possession. I only take enough fish for me and my family. This time of year if you release the fish they will bleed to death and die. So you should keep what you catch. Just food for thought. *[smiley=duck.gif]

bydesign
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
We were up 14 days with 3 fishermen each day with limits most days or a total catch of around 75 fish for the trip. Let's say 4 dinners for 5 persons around 2 3lb fish per night x's 4 or 8 fish for meals. That leaves 67 fish. If I give 4 fish to the other non fishermen ( if that is legal ) that leaves a total of 59 fish. At the end of the trip I can have a total of 12 fish for the fishermen and 8 for the fish I gave away and that leaves a total of 39 - 2 1/2 to 4lb fish left over or 120 lbs of Eagle Lake trout. I would agree that if you release the fish you catch they will likely die so what do you do during the two weeks if you fish every day - What happens to the 39 fish?????

TCtrout
07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
bydesign

If the Warden comes by and checks, the regs state 4 in possession...
If you had 39 fish you are in violation of the regs. and would get a severe ticket, also the Warden would take the fish.

Just my 2 cents

TCtrout

bydesign
07-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I did not have 39 trout over limits in my possession!!!

The point I am trying to make is this--

I have read many post about fishermen going to Eagle for one, two or more weeks at a time and have been reading reports about them catching limits every or near every day. As reported and from personal experience the trout will likely not survive being released. So---What is happening with two weeks worth of limits?? Releasing them is likely killing them-- You can only eat so many 3lb fish and can only have 4 in possession.

Are over limits being kept?

Are they going in the garbage can?

Are they being released in the lake to die?

My experience was that they were hard to give away.

On my last trip the guy across from me brought up a air tight sealer with a inverter and 12 volt battery and solar panel and stored 2wks of ELT in a large ice chest- A few years ago I saw another group with two large smokers and they were going night and day for weeks. I have not seen a warden around for years. If you are up at Eagle for weeks and unless you are the sole fisherman in a large group it would be very difficult to catch limits every day for over a week and be able to eat or use that many fish.

TCtrout
07-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Hey DHWG
Sure hope the fish are bitting when we get there and have to worry about this.
I heard from Fishermatt and also his dad Larry.They will be coming up the same time as FisherII.
TCtrout

bydesign
07-15-2008, 07:25 AM
TCtrout- I also hope you have a good trip and I bet you will, the ELT are of better quality than I have seen for the last few years.

I did find it a problem in disposing of the fish and the last 3 days could not fish or would have had to throw some away. We brought what we were allowed home to smoke and share with friends.

billfisher
07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
bydesign - The idea that every fisherman can catch his/her 2 fish limit at Eagle Lake for two straight weeks is highly unusual, especially in July and August. This may now be possible, but is not "normal". I have been fishing Eagle Lake since the 1970's and can remember many two week periods during the summer months when a very experienced fisherman might catch ten or twelve fish total during that time frame. However, I also remember (when the limit was 3 fish) having three fish stingers that weighed 20 lbs. Average fish of that size will not return to Eagle Lake if people throw away fish or throw back dead/dying fish.

In any event, if folks are now catching their limits every day then they need to stop fishing Eagle after a few days, or at least until they have consumed or given away part of their catch. You are right about released fish not surviving well, but there are many other places that can be reached from Eagle Lake where folks can successfully catch and release fish. So you don't need to stop fishing, you just need to vary where you fish, stay within the law, and not "throw away" any ELT or any other trout.

I believe you when you say you have seen people abusing the Eagle Lake fishery, but I don't think many (if any) of the regular Eagle Lake fishermen, including the folks who post on these boards, do that. The lake is struggling again this year due to low water and we all want it to not only survive but to come back to the fishery that it use to be.

I hope all of you folks who are soon heading up to Eagle Lake have great camping and fishing, and no forest fire smoke. It is a wonderful place.

duckhuntwater-guy
07-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Billfisher,

I concur, Iím going up to Eagle Lake like I have for the last 22-years to have a good time with family and friends and do a little fishing. I have a total 24-people coming and going on different days.

This post primarily is to inform fellow fishsniffers that I will be at the Lake during these dates and to share fishing strategies with other sniffers, not to explain fish&Gameís fishing regulations at Eagle Lake. I know how many fish I can harvest legally and abide by all fishing regulations.

So, I will be leaving Friday Morning for Eagle Lake like I do every year with a big smile on my face. ;) I will post with photos when I return. Tight lines to everyone.

DHWG

Ron G
07-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Looks like I'm just going to miss you. I'm going to be there from the 30th to aug 3rd. It's the first time for me and my boat on Eagle. The people I'm going up there wuth have been going up for 30+ years, should be a great time, good luck and leave a few for me. *:)

pararadise
07-16-2008, 07:41 AM
the wife and I will be arriving at Almanor on the 26,and will be staying for 10 days. we will fish both almanor & Eagle.I would be glad to share info.

duckhuntwater-guy
07-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks Pararadise. Give me a shout when you get on the lake.

DHWG

billfisher
07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
DHWG - I look forward to your report. Good luck and good times to you and all your fellow fishers.

My 2 cents: shallower water before sunrise, deeper after, then off the water for a morning nap. But you know this already. ;) :)