PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Marina

SneakAttack
07-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Was thinking about taking my 4 year old daughter fishing while in Sparks next week. Can't seem to find any recent reports on Sparks Marina. Anyone heard anything, or suggest a close by alternative that's youngster friendly?

Thanks,
SA

troutfan
07-05-2008, 08:49 AM
The Sparks marina was stocked with 6500 Rainbows on 6-12-08. I've never fished it so I don't have any fishing advice. Davis Creek in Washoe Valley can also be a nice place to take the kiddies when they stock it.

SneakAttack
07-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info. Will make sure to give it a try...

Best,
SA

jwstralla
07-05-2008, 01:34 PM
For me the sparks marina is one of the worst places to fish its too mossy and the fish are peter size. If i was you davis creek is a better choice not only can she catch fish but theirs frogs and tadpoles to keep her occupied. Also if your in the greenville/taylorsville area in california take her to round valley the bluegill bite every cast

Majakat
07-05-2008, 01:49 PM
If you dont care about keeping the fish to eat, head out to Lahonton - my husband and son where there yesterday and caught and released over 50 white bass in a couple hours - fun for the youngin!

Catherine

BigB
07-05-2008, 02:53 PM
SneakAttack,

I had a friend go downto Lahotan this last week. He fished by the Dam and was using gold Kastmasters. He and his friend caught some 70 fish before getting tired of catching them.

Brian

mrsockeye
07-05-2008, 05:32 PM
The Sparks Marina is a joke! I've fished it like 5 times this year, for trout out of my Jon Boat with downriggers, for cats off the bank, and for sunfish. The total is a big fat 0. Lahontan is just about as close to guaranteed as it gets. Bring plenty of bait if you dunk worms, they will pick you clean.

SneakAttack
07-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Thank you all for the great advice. Will either head to LL or Davis Creek.

Have every intention on getting my 4yo into some fish this trip!

Best and tight lines,
SA

BigB
07-06-2008, 08:43 AM
SA,

A couple of other Washoe County parks to think about are Galena Creek Regional Park, which is up the Mt Rose Hiway. There is a small planted lake there. The other is Wilson Common Park, which just down the road from Davis Creek Campground.

Here is the website for the county parks where fishing is available.

http://www.washoecounty.us/parks/parksearchresults

Brian

Majakat
07-06-2008, 04:14 PM
We have also had an easy time catching planters at Marilyn's pond, and it is very pretty there, it is off mouth rose highway

homer
07-06-2008, 07:08 PM
If you decide to try Lahontan, you can through just about any lure and catch small White-bass. I like small curly-tail grubs. They are cheep and easy to use. You can tie one under a bobber for the little one, that's what I do with my grandkids. Set it about 4 ft. down. You can get an assorted box at WalMart for $10.00. It comes with jig heads and lots of tails.

homer

Mr_Ed
07-07-2008, 07:46 AM
The Sparks Marina has rocks,moss ,lots of broke off leaders and line on the bottom.

There fore a bobber and tossing "metal" are the best way to fish this lake. I posted last year (?) on this lake with a picture of a nice 15"
rainbow limit with a spoon.

The odds go way down when putting bait on the bottom.

Good fishing.

troutfan
07-08-2008, 01:32 AM
We have also had an easy time catching planters at Marilyn's pond, and it is very pretty there, it is off mouth rose highway
According to NDOW Marilyn's pond has had several plants in the last couple of months.

AllFishNoWork
07-08-2008, 04:19 AM
This is the link to NDOWs page for where to fish, stocking and other stuff. http://www.ndow.org/fish/

Mr_Ed
07-08-2008, 07:05 AM
I fished Mary's pond last month with my grand daughter age 6.

Will standing behind here a voice boomed out.

"Could you please move." *"You are blocking my view" *!!

Those "Artist" up there can be a pain in the..........

You can also try fishing the stream.

fishing_buddy
07-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Sparks Marina can be good from a boat trolling with a electric motor using lead core line out 3 or 4 colors with needlle fish :) early in the morning

SneakAttack
07-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow, LOTS of great tips here. I swear, Sniffer folks are the best!

Thanks All,
SA

SneakAttack
07-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks all for the great info. Was able to put my daughter into some trout at Marilyn's Pond :D

Will post pics soon as I get them DL'd from the phone....

Thanks Again All!

SA