PDA

View Full Version : lake mcscwain help...

tightlines1707
05-27-2008, 10:07 AM
is fishing at the lake a bust during the mid day?? What are the thoughts of today, was thinking about taking the g/f out to bank it for some trout, been craving some fish.... what is some advise to get into some?? or is it even worth making the hour drive....
tightlines

Banks
05-27-2008, 11:45 AM
tightlines,
the best action there is in the mornings and evenings.you will probably catch fish mid day but most likely not as many as earlier on. as for bank fishing either powerbait or nightcrawlers will produce.its really easy to limit out at mcswain. Good Luck
Banks

shadbuster
05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
You can catch fish mid-day you never know when a big school will pass by, but fishing is better during the morning. Try fishing by the dam, brushpile or handicap dock. I've found that powereggs work better than powerbait or nightcrawlers, but if your after the big holdovers you should try salmon eggs since the big fish and holdovers tend to ignore the powerbait stuff. Also I myself don't use nightcrawlers since the lake holds a good population of suckers that just love nightcrawlers(unless you like catching suckers :P). Good luck and let us know how you do.

tightlines1707
05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Well the girl and i made it up there about seven this evening.... as soon as the truck was unloaded and on the trip down to teh water saw a man land what looked to be a nice two and a half or so trout. got me excited... he was on the dock so i fished about a hundred feet from there. Powerbait and night crawlers. ( i am learning tht was a mistake) didn't catch anything. then i moved to what ithought was the brush pile. I have no clue what or where the brush pile is ** help please** but yeah got dark and no fish so we left. SKUNKED!! i have fished there plenty of times and never caught anything what is wrong, and what can i do to up my odds EG..how deep to fish? how far? any thing. i like the closeness and the odds of catching fish. thank you
tighlines

shadbuster
05-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Ok I'll give you my "secret" set up that never fails all I ask is that you never tell anybody about it ;D, I better not see everybody on the lake using it next week ;D. I use six pound line. First of all put a 1/2 ounce weight on your main line then tie your line main line to a swivel, tie about a foot and a half of line to that swivel then tie on a size 16 treble hook. Add two floating powereggs (I prefer white, pink, green or yellow) to the treble hook leaving one hook exposed cast out as far as you can sit back and wait you should have a fish in 15 minutes or so. Also when the fish begins to tap your rod gently pick up the rod wait until you feel the next tap then set the hook, just don't yank on the rod I've seen guys get so excited they set the hook like they were deep sea fishing and lose the fish. Try fishing to the right of the dock or a little bit to the left of the dock (about 100ft out) but don't go to far to the left this spot is a dead zone. Hope this helps let me know if it works for you.

FresnoJack
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
The 3 best areas for bank fishing are the handicap pier, the "Brush Pile" and the power house.

The pier is by the picnic and play areas. Fish on the dam side of the pier for deeper water. Good fishing from the pier to the dam.

The "Brush Pile" is the cove past the Loop E campground. You can camp or park right above the cove if you wish and walk down to the water. I fish on the upriver side of the cove. You can walk down or drive in on an unimproved dirt road.

The power house is up river beyond the camp grounds. Try the river below the power house, especially early morning.

Silver and blue-silver Kastmasters. Sizes 5 and 7 firetiger Rapalas. White Power Egg/'crawler combinations, white or chartreuse Power Bait or inflated nightcrawlers.

As with most trout fishiung early morning and evening are often the best times. That being said, my best fishing trip at McSwain was right in the middle of the day and in a high wind just at the handicap pier.

FresnoJack
05-28-2008, 01:16 PM
McSwain Reservoir

***Trout

McSwain Marina reported anglers were pulling out limits from the banks at the campsites below the Brush Pile with inflated nightcrawlers or various colors of Power Bait or by trolling with green Wedding Rings tipped with a 'crawler or blade/'crawler combinations from Gilligan's Island to the Dam. A 9.25-pound largemouth bass was landed by Steven Thomas of Madera on a Lazer Minnow at Chimney Cove. A few bass have found their way into the lake from McClure. Calaveras Trout Farm will plant 1,000 pounds of trout in each of the next two weeks.

From the Fresno Bee
http://www.fresnobee.com/372/index.html

Tightlines,

The trout farm plants are almost always bigger fish, 2 1/2 or so.

A couple of years ago they had a couple of plants of brooder brown trout. I saw a couple caught the were over 7 pounds each.

The pier area is just below some restrooms, flush toilets and hot water. This makes it a favorite for women and for mature men with over-active bladders.

tightlines1707
05-28-2008, 01:30 PM
thanks a lot guys.. i love reading the advise,and if anyone has anything else to add i am not done listening. I am trying to get a hold of a friend so we can go bck today for this evening. I am curious as to shadbusters response... do you hold the rod? and not use a bober? cuz i am down for that i dont like bobbers much. and for anyone.. is the brush pile a big group of bush that is going into the water and there is a cove right there after on the left? if i was coming form the dam and headed towards the river... is that it? i think these power eggs are what i need to be fishing cuz i hear a lot about them. well yeah... any other advise?? lol its all welcome
tightlines

FresnoJack
05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
The "Brush Pile" is a series of below water brush piles along the shore.

Here is a map reference
http://www.lakemcclure.com/camping/lake_mcswain.html

Loop E is shown on the right of the map. To the right of this is a cove which is the start of the area.

The "Pile" proper is the shore along the dirt road at the far right and designated as Picnic and Day Use on the map.

shadbuster
05-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I usually just put the rod in a rod holder or prop it up on a stick or something. I never use bober since the powereggs float off the bottom by themselves (Make sure when you buy them that it says floating on the jar,since they make ones that don't float). And another cool thing about powereggs is that you can re-use them again and again, I have powereggs that have caught upwards of 15 trout I just retrieve them when I gut the fish, and you don't have to worry about them falling off the hook like powerbait does.