PDA

View Full Version : Comanche 5/24

fishnmike2002
05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Wow what a change in condiitons from the past couple of weeks. Rolled in the gate just before 5AM and found soggy campers already up and prowling around the campgrounds. Looked like the start of a very long weekend for some folks. Put the boat in and ran to Little Hat. Set rods with grubs, Apex and an Excel Spoon from 15 to 35 feet. Colors were orange, white and silver. First fish right off the bat at 25 feet on the orange Excel then dad gets one on a white grub. Going across the dam we pick up a couple of other small ones then dad boats one just over 4lbs on the orange grub at 30 feet.

I change out my Excel and Apex to Rapalas and I started to wonder if any fish were back on top since the water had cooled down to 65F. I set an orange Rapala on top and it gets hammered right away. I pick up a couple of other quick ones so I tell dad to bring one of his rods up to the top. Action was pretty constant on top and at 30 feet until about 9:30 then it slowed down. Best fish of the day was a 6-1 I caught on top with a Rapala and dad broke off an huge one on a grub, also on top. We fished until about 3 and called it a day.

It rained on and off all day and there was a breeze most of the day. Water was clear but milky from all the wind during the previous week. Water temp had dropped from the mid 70's the previous week to 64-66F. Early bite was the best, which is typical this time of the year there. It just suprised me that it slowed down so much with the over cast skys. Probably our last trip there for this year, off to chase kokes now. No pics, wife had the cammera this week.

Fishnmike

Berryessa Kid
05-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Fishnmike, good job, and good info [smiley=thumbup.gif] I can just picture the soggy campers, been there many times ;D Sounds like you and your dad had a good time. Have fun on the kokes!!!

crank_bait
05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
was on the lake the 24th chasing mike around, and again on the 26th.
caught the usual planters on the 24th.....but i got a strange suprise. slow troll at 35 feet with a rainbow rap in the middle of the lake.....and a big ol crappie hits ! (somehow, i think mike is involved....)

early on the 26th.....i came across the strangest thing i personally have seen on the water. from the middle of the dam, all the way past the spillway.....i found myself in the middle of trout that were boiling the water by swimming in short circles. this patch was as large as a football field ! i immediately picked my spinning rod and started throwing a cast master into the mess. i caught three that averaged 13-17 inch, and released them.... the downriggers went untouched at 10 feet.
i have no idea what was happening......but after a half hour of this.....it was as if it never happened. anyone have any ideas.
i thought maybe it was the result of a plant....but the post at the main gate said they stopped planting at the end of april.

ps....mike, the fat chick says to call her !

fishnmike2002
05-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey Crankbait! You know when I went by you in the morning and I saw the flashbulbs I figured you were taking pictures of the fat chick so you were too busy to come by and say hi.

I've caught a lot of big crappie on Comanche but usually in March when they and the trout are both on top. There is usually a couple week period when we catch crappie every trip.

Never seen the trout there swarming on the surface but do often see the carp doing that. You sure your old brain isn't a bit confused? ;D ;D

FishnMike

crank_bait
05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
we thought we were real slick launching ahead of you and zooming to the dam..........as you went zooming by us, there was a reason why we couldnt go any faster than 20 mph......my partner forgot to remove the outboard motor support bar.......we dragged the damn thing around all day until we lifted the engine before we went in !!
i'm just glad you didnt see us, you'd still be laughing.
as for the picture taking.......i was wearing shorts that morning !!!!

kokemachine83
05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey Crankbait and Mike, When i was up there last, a few weeks ago. I saw lots of Carp in really big groups. Sucking up stuff from the surface. Thats probably what he saw. There are some BIG Carp in that lake. Mike, you have got to get over to Pedro. It just flat awesome. Good luck on your next trip. I will be at Pedro this weekend for the derby.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

crank_bait
05-28-2008, 04:52 AM
the fish that i saw were definitely trout....i caught three by tossing a castmaster into the boils. the fish were not mouthing......the backs of the fish were exposed as they were circling. they were acting real agressive and circling very fast.

(its a shame mike was still at home in bed while us "pups" were working the lake.......) ;)

HookedForLife
05-28-2008, 06:09 AM
**Probably our last trip there for this year, off to chase kokes now. *
Fishnmike

Nice report. I switched from Camanche to Oroville and Berryessa a few weeks ago, but am thinking of trying Camanche again next Tuesday (June 3). I have never fished Camanche in June. Is it too late for trout there? I would think if the weather stays cool, the trout might still be on the bite.

At Lake Berryessa yesterday, I think I did poorly on the kokes because I did not fish shallow enough. At the end of my trip, I was surprised to see a couple of kokes (some carp too) jump on the surface near Big Island.

fishnmike2002
05-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Hooked,

I've actually chased trout at Comanche through July and it can be pretty good. The fish will all be 30 to 50 feet so it makes finding them easier. They are starting to get a little fuzzy from the copapods but if you fish Berry you're familar with that. The lake lice will start getting heavy but if you stay down by the dam its not too bad.

FishnMike

HookedForLife
05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the information! I plan to fish the dam/spillway very early on Tuesday, two lines deep on the downrigger and a third line near the surface. I will be looking for fish activity on the surface also. I have seen big schools of carp too, but also sometimes it seems that very large trout are chasing something and swirling near the surface. Good to hear that the trout fishing can be good until July. Hope the weather stays on the cool side; otherwise, I quit at noon and fish again in the evening.