PDA

View Full Version : Edison or Florence

ReelJerks
05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Has anybody fished either of these 2 lakes yet? Main roads are not open yet, but am thinking soon.

robby_mannon
05-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I know a couple of guys who have taken quads in twice last month. They had easy limits of bows and browns. Nothing of any size. Lake was very low at that time but todays paper said the lakes are starting to fill.

Robby,

ReelJerks
05-14-2008, 03:45 PM
The year before Butch died we went in on horseback about two weeks before the announced road opening. Plenty of water that year and nice fish to boot. Never been back early, but wanting to go again.

Thanks Robby

Edd

Slapabow
05-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Edd, you taking that 18' bass buggy
in there? hope iam not coming out
when you are going in. florence has
been drained so much lately,i dont
know how the fishing is. Any rig over 14'
would be fun to tow in there.
But worth it. :)

ReelJerks
05-15-2008, 09:45 AM
I've been in there with a 6-horse slant load before. That was the last time too :'( . If everybody understood the rules of the road for mountain driving, it wouldn't be bad. Some just don't get it.

NO....I'm not pulling the Buggy in. Either rent or bank fish. That's one lake I like to walk and toss spinners or 6" soft plastics.

IDEA! Maybe I can talk Mr. Dave and a demo-LUND into the trip :-/

Edd

fishon_chris
05-15-2008, 05:43 PM
I worked for Butch and Peggy in the summer of 98 and 99.I was there for the fly in trip both years and it was a good time in my life.It is a shame what happened to him.I miss the guy when i go there in the spring and summer.The new owner does not have the same service Butch and Peggy had.
I fished that lake in the morning or evening every day in thoes summers great lake for browns and Rainbows was one of the few boats up there with downriggers.We slammed the fish at least 3 out of 5 times mostly 12 to 17" browns and bows but my biggest was 4.5lbs for the two summers.There are two calasses of fish in this lake fish to 20" or so and a few fish from 10 to20lbs.In the mouth of mono creek i have seen the new lake record 30lbs.The lake record is some where around 27lbs.
I will be up there the last weekend of June with buddies camping by the dam and fishing in the boat.
We only keep a few fish for dinner this lake has been hit hard the last 10 years so chatch and release is needed to hold a good population of fish.

Chris

ReelJerks
05-16-2008, 05:23 AM
I miss the guy when i go there in the spring and summer.The new owner does not have the same service Butch and Peggy had.
Chris

I heard he was a close family friend? It's true, he's not the same man and it's not the same place. But, Butch was a special soul.

You are absolutely right about catch and release in that lake. Florence too. It was a lot nicer up there in the late 60's when you could lose the road up on top ;) . I had an old Glaspar runabout with DR's that I lugged up there year after year. Evenrude 70 that I had to re-jet just for Edison. Butch, breakfast, and some nice fish made it well worth it.

Edd

zinger
05-17-2008, 02:33 PM
My grandpa is going to be fishing it Wednesday and Thursday, I'll try and remember to get a report.

ReelJerks
05-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Appreciate that 'Z', and thanks in advance.

Edd

Snowtrout
05-19-2008, 07:44 AM
The gate was open when I checked on Friday but have not heard of anyone going up there lately. *Did talk to one person who went on a quad trip a few weeks ago and they caught 55 browns BUT all were between 13-14". *

I have said this many times on here: the glory days are over for edison. *Low water levels, over-productive spawning and no forage has started to stunt the browns. *I had hoped that the low water and a hard freeze would kill off quite a few of the browns but from the report I received, it didn't happen.

I am writing a letter to the sce biologist and dfg biologist about the situation at edison that I and others are seeing. *With the state of affairs in the state about fishing, it is up to us local fishermen to address and fix our lakes. *Hopefully edison, with the addition of forage, will once again regain its status as a trophy fishery.