PDA

View Full Version : Henness Pass?

pchauvin
05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Anyone been up Henness Pass towards Jackson Meadows?

Maybe, just maybe, the road will be clear by the end of this month... just in time for daddy's spring trip - no kids, no wife, just daddy!

If not it's the Pit and upper Hat, maybe Almanor on the way...

DuramaxDan
05-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Road is still closed with snow at least 3 to 4 weeks out says the forest service in Sierraville.

JimBow
05-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Hey Chavin,
I can remember a few May trips where my intent was Henness Pass, only then to have road still with too much snow, then hitting nearby Prosser and or Stampede as a "second choice" and doing very well. Thus, sometimes when they are out one thing on the menu, another choice works just fine!

pchauvin
05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Well I guess its nice to have snow!

Thanks for the info.

iggybob44
05-10-2008, 06:24 PM
If your goal is Jackson Meadows res.,what about coming in from the Bowman lake road? Years ago,i used to make several trips a year to this area,usually our first trip was Memorial day,we would camp at lower Lindsey lake,and then 4-wheel all the forest roads,Carr,Feeley,Bowman,J.Meadows,and other lakes usually saw some fishing time as well. how does the elevation of Henness pass compare with the elevation between Bowman and Jackson Meadows?

NorCal_OC
05-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I couldnt tell you the elevation differences, pretty sure that the Henness Pass side is higher, but tried to make it into Bowman yesterday and got about a mile past the Grouse Ridge turnout before the snow drifts got to long and too deep for my lifted toyota. Didn't fish Fuller but it is accessable and producing a few.

OC

pchauvin
05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
JimBow - where have we met?

JimBow
05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey Pchauvin,
doubt we have met, but it's possible. I live out the area now, but get a chance to fish sierra's about 3-4 times a year; prior to that when I lived in No. Ca, I tried to get up to Sierra lakes often as I could, especially Sept-Oct., and like you, have a May birthday so Dad gets a late May trip (planning one for week of May 21). I usually bank fish at lakes such as Caples, Silver, French Meadows, Jackson Meadow, Stampede, Prosser and Little Grass Valley are my favorites.

By the way, the Bowman way to Jackson maybe "Lower", but it's a slog froms US 80 to H.20, and north from there, and you'd likely this time of year need 4WD. If it stays sunny, I'd bet they plow the Henness road in about 2-3 weeks.

JimBow
05-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Any update on road conditions on Henness pass road? With hot weather, wondering it road is snow free...