PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma 3-22

MankinD
03-22-2008, 01:30 PM
On the water @ 6:45 today, three lines in by 7:00, 2 topline and one 12' OTW. Running firetiger Apex OTW, hit hard at about 8am in front of Sherriff's cove. Fish crossed under two toplines and the wind took care of the steering while trying to land it, what a mess that was. Mini-me lands an 18" @ 2 lbs. A couple more strikes without sticking, all on the rigger. About 9:30, no sooner did the reel start that sweet music when it is interupted by a big splash. This one did at least half dozen tail dances as well as several runs when brought close to the boat and ended up rolling in the leader. WOW :o For those who don't considder these as true steelhead because they are landlocked, this one fought better than anything I've caught in several years (since the last river steelie trip!!!) A kick in the %&*^ on a Lami 7'9" koke rod. Had other plans for the afternoon so off the water @ 11am.
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9620/img2649450x600jx1.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6624/img2650450x338oz5.jpg
smaller one was a bleeder, so........
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3576/img2660300x400pq6.jpg

Till next week.....

Doug

DuramaxDan
03-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Nice report Doug!! Glad to see the fish in your backyard are doing well.Sometime I would like to fish up there again it has been many yrs.Glad to see you out enjoying the day fishing.

TroutWagon
03-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Good job ob the steelies. What was the water temp ? What was you speed?It could be time to hit that lake, april is a magical time there.

TW

Jeff213
03-22-2008, 10:22 PM
How did the landlocked steelhead get there? were they surplus from a hatchery and released there?

MankinD
03-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Sometime I would like to fish up there again it has been many yrs.
Dan, your welcome in my backyard anytime.
Surface temp was 54 and speed at hook-up was about 1.7-1.9 (the wind had and waves had us doing from 1.2-2.5!!!)

How did the landlocked steelhead get there?
The dam was built on a major spawning stream. A number of smolts were trapped upstream by the initial construction and they have never "planted" them officially. With the hatchery at the dam raising steelhead, silvers and kings, they are very concerned about diseases being introduced in the lake which would filter down into the hatchery so there is no plan of ever supplementing the existing fishery. There was, however, an incident in the first few years of the hatchery opperation where a major equipment failure threatened to kill off a large number of steelhead smolts in a couple of their concrete runs. The operation manger for the Corp of Engeneers happened to be a member of my church at the time. He said the conditions in Dry Creek were not conducive to a good survival rate at that tiime so they dumped that run into the lake. That was early 80s.

The fishery is very similar to river steelhead fishing, you have to put in a lot of time for a few good fights, but man are those good battles. Without any supplemental plants, I treat it like any other NATIVE fishery, catch-and-release with very few exceptions.

Doug

HomerDodd
03-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Wow! That is one of the best post's that I have ever seen regarding Lake Sonoma. I've been looking for good information about Sonoma, since I'm fairly new to trolling, and I live very close to the lake. I've heard trolling the dam, sheriffs cove and extending to the bridge to the marina is the best area. I know they hit on Needlefish and 'crawlers. Any other lures you can recommend? What about this time of year and into summer? Can I stay with these areas, and what about depth? I will practice catch & release, but may keep one to eat since I heard these trout are real good eating and no comparison to planters at the other lakes. I was there last week, and the temp was 54, water slightly stained (visibility 5') and very windy. Some of the other anglers said that the trout are still in the arms and fingers..??? I wasn't sure when they would be back into the main body of the lake. Are they are there now? I sure hope so. It's such a nice lake. Any information you provide will be greatly appreciated and utilized. THANKS!!

clamkin
03-23-2008, 08:17 PM
What, Mickey never taught you how to take pictures? *:)

northriver_tom
03-23-2008, 08:26 PM
very nice looking fish....good report

MankinD
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
What, Mickey never taught you how to take pictures?
OK, the Mickey pose......
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/9316/img2652450x338ik1.jpg
....but I already fessed up it was only 20" @ 2.5 lbs.