PDA

View Full Version : crappie jigs

fishwish
03-14-2008, 08:40 PM
I've been bending down the barb on the (not so)wild section of the truckee river lately. Tube jigs have been my thing lately, but the action has been spotty. On my last outing, after fishing some likely, deep runs and pools with a brown mini tube with no strikes, I switched for a black crappie jig (marabou tale). I thought I'd spooked the pool with the tube, but on the second cast I hooked a rainbow, then lost her on a leap. I fished for another hour or so with a strike but no catch. I moved upstream and finished the day by landing a nice! brown followed ten minutes later by a heavy rainbow. Both fish 17+. Needless to say, the crappie jig is going to get some more trial.

Mr_Ed
03-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the sniffer!!

sent a pm....

NO Pictures............?? :'( :'(

PS Don't do like me......keep it dry !! ;D ;D

fishwish
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Mr Ed,
I've been trying to remember the phone/camera in the pouch of my neoprenes and documenting the catch, but it hasn't made it into my routine of catch and release -always by myself. next time, promise.
Thanks for the welcome

fish10plus
03-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Have you tried floating the jig or tube under a clear float.Might get some better action. good luck out there. giver a try ;)

Blktailhunter
03-15-2008, 09:52 AM
I love using 1/32 oz green/gold tube jigs. I use 2 or 3lb test when stream fishing and do really, really with that setup. When I fish a lake I still use 2 or 3 lb test, but since the casts are longer I use a 4 ft leader, swivel, and then a clear, water filled casting bubble on 6 lb main line. That allows for long casts. After casting I allow the bubble to sink and start a jerky retrieve. This setup works greal in the Eastern Sierra. My best day at one of the Mammouth Lakes resulted in a 12 lb rainbow, two 8's and a 5. The picture of me holding the 12lber and a smaller fish my son caught got us on the cover of the WON Eastern Sierra preview a couple of years and inside the insert for several more.

If you play the fish carefully even with the light leader you can land big fish. We were fortunate though that we were in a boat when we hooked the big ones and there were no obstructions for the fish to snag us on.

billfisher
03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
fishwish - The only difference between a good crappie jig and a good trout jig is the kind of fish that bites on it. You can take lots of trout in lots of places all year long on marabou tailed jigs. The only trout fishermen who don't swear by this method are those who have never tried it enough to learn how to move them properly. You can catch just about any kind of game fish on a properly presented jig. Like any other lure color can be a factor at a given place or day, so you should have a range of weights and colors.

Congrats on your nice catch.