PDA

View Full Version : Lake Natoma

Eric_csus14
03-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Ive taken the boat of the last couple of weeks launcing at Negro Bar in Lake Natoma- I havent had any luck, but the bankies there next to the launch seem to be doing very well, im guessing power bait?

Any reports coming in *from out of there?

I've tried trolling rapalas and drifting nightcrawlers, with no luck the last couple of weekends, im thinking about just throwing out the sliding sinker. *its frustrating when I spend all this money on the boat, and not catch anything, ahh!! *:-/
Tis' the sport of fishng-! * :)

Denny1969
03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I have taken my 10 foot inflatable pontoon boat from Negro Bar down to Willow Creek. I've caught some trout. DFG stopped planting trout from my understanding, but there are some fish in the system. Persistence will pay off.

Denny

gotta_go_now
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Eric,

I have also attempted...was putting in at the ramp across from the Aquatic Center off of Hazel. I marked quite a few fish west of Willow Creek, and lost a lot of tackle before I got on the forum here and was able to determine that there are cables in the water to hold marker bouys for the crew races! :-? :(

I did a search here, Lake Natoma, and opened the time frame to unlimited and got quite a bit of information, (this was in the last month). Some say that you can't head Southwest of Willow Creek from Negro Bar (where I was attempting), however, one of my trips when I was coming off the water, I stopped a Ranger to talk to him about the fishery and he made no mention that I couldn't be fishing in the area I had just come out of. ;)

Good Luck.

Eric_csus14
03-04-2008, 12:26 PM
from my understaning- motorboats just aren't alowed west of willowcreek- but fishing is ok- Ive been staying around negro bar area- im thinking about heading out there before work on thursday or fri- will report if I do-

LordRooster
03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
fished it brfore with my canoe and no luck. Fished the bank several times with PB with great success.

Eric_csus14
03-05-2008, 07:53 AM
That seems to be what I always notice as well- just got the boat back from the shop so I am going to test it out there tomorrow morning, will likely just anchor or drift for a while with powerbait and crawlers- ill report back and let you know how I did-

Eric_csus14
03-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Attempted to fish there today- but just ran into severe motor problems! >:(

Anyway, no fish caught, fished powerbait and some crawlers- did fish for too long tho, speant a long time trying to get the motor to run well

saw a few bankies next to launch- didnt see them land anything, although everyother time I am there i usually see them do very well

Mickey_Thomas
03-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Try some live minnows :)

hopevalleyfisher
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Lake Natoma is one of those lakes that you just gotta put your time in. The state record came from there. Big fish get washed down from Folsom. I fish there alot, and still havent caught more than one 7" trout.
Up in the river part past rainbow bridge is said to be the spot. Its shallow just before the bridge where the big rocks stick out, but past the brdge it gets pretty deep. Just be careful and watch for rocks.
When I first got my boat Im working on, I launched there for a test ride. I drove that boat all the way up to the floating marker surounding the two open sections of the dam. I was about a few feet away from the dam itself. There is a launch ramp about 200y away from the dam. I think the no motor thing is not true. About two years ago I did see an old sign floating near the bathroom, that said no motors, but only saw it that one time. Maybe its when theres gonna be a row-boat race???
I do know that the 5mph speed limit is enforced. Lots of kayakers.

LordRooster
03-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Try some live minnows :)

I don't usually keep trout however last time I was there I fought one in who was bleeding pretty bad so I kept him. When I cleaned him his stomach was full of little silver minnows.

Eric_csus14
03-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Wow- that's good to know- I agree with microfisher, there are some BIG fish in there- also, I like that area east, past the old rainbow bridge before the dam. Went there about a month ago, motored as far as we could go then drifted down throwing rapalas, spinner, and drifting some worm. Didnt even manage a bite, but its beautiful up there, almost like a back country river. I can almost sense the hogs swimming below me! The main piece of advice i can give for fishing up there is not to drop anchor, ours must have fallen between some rocks, because between two of us tugging, we couldnt get it free, ended up having to cut the line :(

fishpeddler1
03-07-2008, 08:59 PM
perhaps he was refering to nimbus dam?

Trout Tracker
03-08-2008, 06:51 AM
I have fished Natomas several times from my boat.I do know that when you get up river close to the prison it isn't wise to go past the cable.
I attemped it awhile back and the guard in the tower came out and put the sites on me.
Who knows what he would have done?I turned around and went back down river.
I have only caught 1 trout out of Natomas and that wsa up river.
Bob