PDA

View Full Version : what river /stream is this?Can I fish it?

tattooedfish1
02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I live in greenfield and about fifteen minute s from my house there is some running water and I know there is squawfish ,suppossedly some trout and even steelhead there but Ikeep hearing different opinions as to whether or not I can fish this area legally.I hear i can fish above this landmark but not below it but the thing is ....I dont know if im Im above or below or what river im standing in front of....it would be so nice if this is a legal spot to fish since its so close. anybody know anything about this area? IS IT PART OF ARROYO SECO? IS IT PART OF CARMEL RIVER? :-?

dbass
02-20-2008, 07:31 AM
It might be part of the Salinas river :-/

gbslade
02-20-2008, 07:51 AM
What direction is the water from Greenfield? According to my TOPO software, Arroyo Seco is southwest of town, the Salinas River is northeast of town, and Reliz Creek is also southwest of town.

tattooedfish1
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
GB , it is southwest of town.....

dano
02-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Gotta get the info on this one tatoo. I live in Monterey and would be real interested in a new place to try.
Dano

tattooedfish1
02-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Dano,the spot where Ive seen fish is kinda off the beaten path ...ya gotta kinda go bush wackin to get to it .I ve caught squawfish in there seen carp,I think trout ,crawdads,tadpoles and heard of steelhead.who knows whats really in there?

Mackattack
02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Did a little research and looks like you can fish there at times with a lot of restriction and zero bag limit. Go get a regs book and read it well and good luck.

Mackattack

dano
02-23-2008, 05:18 PM
That is really cool mack. The sniffers come thru again. These guys are great. I always get the latest info when I start a trip, and I always get good info.
Dano

tattooedfish1
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Ok,went to check out what ever it is this river is called since last yr....water level is up,flowing pretty quick.has some shallow fast water and some deeper spots as well ,really clear water .went around 330 today til about 530,with no fish :'(,didnt even see one cruise by.last yr I could see them cruising around.Theres alot of new green growth along the sides of the river so you relly gotta push ,break,trample ,and fall all the way through to get to some of these spots .be easier with some boots or waders to get up and down also lots of fling critters above the water might be good to fly fish if your willing to make your way up or down stream.HERES MY DISCLAIMER ....DONT KNOW OF THE NUMBERS OR QUALITY OF THE FISH HERE SO FISH OUT OF YOUR OWN CURIOUSITY :D

Sin_Coast
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Man, you guys are trippin!
Sounds like tatoo is talking about the Arroyo Seco River. This is the main spawning tributary watershed for teh Salinas River. So, as with any coastal watershed that contains steelhead, the regulations are very strict. Definitely check the regs on www.dfg.ca.gov before heading out there. I could recite the exact regs word-for-word from the top of my head...and not because I'm boasting....but because the regs are dynamic and change often...and I ain't getting busted for poaching.

Essentially, during winter its steelhead season, so the lower portion of the river is open to C+R fishing w/barbless hooks etc. During the summer and fall, the upper portion of the river is open to trout fishing (and you can actually keep a limit of 5 trout surprisingly enough!).

It is actually one of the healthiest coastal watersheds on the Central Coast. Well, at least the upper portion is. The lower portion dries up in summer due to over-pumping of groundwater by agriculturists.
One of my favorite rivers. And loaded with beautiful native fish, if you know where to go!
Good Luck!
PK

tattooedfish1
03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Im not sure what part Im fishing if this the arroyo seco...upper or lower? :-?Like to be able to fish it without having to watch my back though... :o

ryanerb
03-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I say try looking on a map. Look on google maps first, maybe try the terrain function, and then you could try topozone.com as well. It should be no problem identifying it if you know how to get there.

FresnoJack
03-07-2008, 01:17 PM
As has been mentioned there are severe restrictions on fishing the main Salinas River and also on its tributaries.

See the regs Section 7.50 (b) (158)

First, clearly identify the stretch of water you want to fish. There is a DFG Office in Monterey and the rangers there should be able to pin point the areas and applicable restrictions.

20 Lower Ragsdale Drive, Suite 100
Monterey CAS 93940

[831] 649-2870

FresnoJack
03-07-2008, 01:23 PM
You can access the regs from the DFG site.
http://dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/index.aspx

tattooedfish1
03-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Very cool info! Thanks Fresno dave! You might have saved me some money!....gulp! :-/