PDA

View Full Version : Susanville fishing

butte2008
03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I will be moving to Sussanville in the spring. How is the fishing and where are the best places to fish? (no boat)

mtnlks
03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
I would try Eagle lake,almanor,antalope. There are a million other places to fish but those are the main lakes in the area. hope that helps.

Howard

butte2008
03-03-2008, 04:45 AM
THANKS FOR THE IMFO. hOW ABOUT THE STREAMS AND RIVERS IN THE AREA?

BigB
03-03-2008, 08:13 AM
One of the best known streams in the area is Hat Creek, which is located north of Susanville, off of Hwy 89. *There is also Baum Lake wich you can fish from shore. *There is also Lake Britton outside of Burney Falls.

Brian

billfisher
03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
With no boat you will want to probably try some of the smaller lakes in the area. You can definitely shore fish at Eagle Lake and Lake Almanor, but they are more boat fishing places. There are lots of smaller lakes north of Susanvile that can be good shore fishing. Two of my favorites are Silver Lake and Crater Lake (not the one in Oregon, but the small one in California). To the south, Antelope Lake has been mentioned and Frenchmans and Davis are both in driving range. There are also lots of more remote small lakes that I have had good fishing at from time to time (Taylor Lake and Homer Lake to name a couple).

For rivers and streams - the most obvious is the Susan River which runs through town, but it is restricted in that area. However it can be fished in some areas north of Susanville and places like McCoy Flat Reservoir can be quite good (depending on the year). Further north you have the Pitt River area and lots of mountain streams. Also lots of streams and other small lakes on the eastern slope of Mt. Lassen. To the south and west there is the Feather River and its tributaries.

You will have lots of exploring to do.

Dustriver
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I lived up in Chester during the early 90s. I still hit up Plumas and Lassen counties every spring. Hamilton Branch on the north side of Almanor is good. Check out the south side of Almanor where the Feather River feeds into it by Prattville for Browns and Bows. Also do not overlook Butt Valley Reservoir. Deer Creek is another good spot. Eagle lake is tops too. Silver Lake is also good. Good luck. 8-)

Mr_Ed
03-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Almanor if you like to try for monster Small Mouth !!

Eagle has the best tasting Rainbows for a Calif lake.

Go to Google maps and see the lakes in your area. ;)

Fish_R_Us
03-05-2008, 10:23 AM
My mother had some family friends that had a trailer court on the north side of town, right next to the Susan River. I use to fish there often where the railroad track crosses the river. I don't know the the tracks are stiil there. The Susan River is fishable during the spring when the water level is high. You must seek out the deep holes during the summer when the level is down. There were no restrictions at that time. You might try checking out the area north of town twords the Prison. I use to drift the normal fare: eggs, dillie worms and stonefly nympths.

billfisher
03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
There were no restrictions at that time.

From the Calif DFG 2007-2008 Fishing Regs.

189.5) Susan River (Lassen County) from the
confluence of Willard Creek and the Susan River,
downstream to the Bizz Johnson trail bridge
located approx. 1/4 mi. downstream from the 3
mi. marker on the Bizz Johnson trail.

Last Saturday in April through November 15.
Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may
be used.

Also, see Section 8.10 for special open season for youths
participating in Youth Fishing Derby.

I do not know the Susan River well enough to say where this section is, but I do know the fishing on parts of this river has some restrictions.

Chadzilla
03-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Priority #1, get a boat or get a friend with a boat. Eagle Lake can be the top trout fishing in the entire state at times. Some guys do fish it from the shore, but trolling is the most effective. If the budget or storage is an issue, I have heard of some guys doing really well float tubing around the tulles. Being that close to Eagle and Almanor will be a blast, and there are plenty of streams to keep you busy as well.

butte2008
03-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the good info. It sounds like I will have alot of exploring to do when I get there :) :)

Jetspray
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
That Susanville river has a Rails to Trails along it that you can ride a bike down to fish. It is really level all the way to Chester and alot of spots to stop and picnic along too....jetspray

mrsockeye
03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Great Topic! :D I used to fish that area very heavily as a kid. The top place to get into some planters would be Silver Lake. A beautiful lake in a high mountain setting. Nice quiet campgrounds, no partiers. It is a fair sized lake for this area, minus huge Eagle and Almanor. It has been a long time since I was there, but the west shore( the one with the rocks) can be a great place to soak powerbait or cast a kastmaster. Crater Lake is a very small high mountain lake, both it and Silver lake are natural lakes. Crater used to have brookies and rainbows, but I've heard they've been discountinued. There is a nice quiet campground there too. The deer will eat out of your hands, or your cooler. One year the meat bees were so bad there that we had to eat in the inside of our truck. Eagle and Almanor are both home of big fish. Mr. Ed is totally right that those Eagle Lake rainbows are the best eating rainbows around. Almanor offers browns, rainbows, chinooks, and smallmouth. There is some bank fishing right by the boat launch at the dam. Stream fishing is tougher. Hat creek is probably the best consistent bet. There is also upper Pine Creek above highway 44. It is loaded with 7" brookies and Rainbows. My favorite small stream up there is Butte Creek upstream of highway 44. You can catch as many brookies in there as you can handle. They can get to about 13" in that creek. For truly huge trout, McCoy Flats has the hogs. Great topic, brought back some good memories. I might have to go up to Butte Creek sometime in May, June.

Berryessa Kid
03-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Butte,
Fish Eagle from the shore and prepare to be spoiled! Great place to live. Bring a little barbacue and set it next to you while you fish all day [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Mr.Sockeye,
Do you have any other info on Crater lake, and the camping? I think i have heard of this place and would like to go.

highlands
03-07-2008, 03:24 AM
I lived in Susanville in the 80's for a few years. There are some great creeks in the area. If you travel north from Susanville towards Westwood on highway 36 you will cross Goodrich Creek. I used to park near the bridge and fish the creek as it meandered through a huge meadow (on the left side of the road). I would use small redworms and fish the inside pockets of the bends in the deeper water. The creek was full of rainbows and browns. Another location was near highway 139 just east of Susanville. Jut past Rice Canyon Road ther is an open space on on the left side of the highway with a histoical marker noting an old 1800's stage stop or something. Park there and walk across the road you will run into a creek about a 1/2 mile or so back. I don't recall the name of the creek but there were some nice brookies and rainbows in it. As an added bonus there are herds of Antelope wandering around the area. Also off of Janesville Grade Road just south of Susanville you can go to Antelope lake. Below the lake is Indian Creek. Indian creek road follows the creek for a number of miles. There is a forest service road that takes off to the left side of Indian Creek Road a couple of miles below Antelope dam. If you follow this road to an old burn area you will come to a small tributary in the adjacent canyon (steep draw). This creek feeds into Indian Creek. I can't recall the name of the stream (if it has one) but this stream is loaded with rainbows. You may need the help and cooperation of locals to find this one. I'm not sure many folks are even aware of it. It's been many years since I have been in the Susanville area. I hope these spots are still open to the public and productive. I have lived in several Sierra towns over the years from Jamestown to Susanville. From a fishing an hunting perspective the Susanville area definitely topped them all. I suspect you will fall in love with the area. Good luck. Let us know about the fishing when you get settled in.

wildcat092
03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
You'll probably be working too much to go fishing; however, if you're up to it I'll take you out. I know the Burney area pretty well.

Wildcat092 ;D

butte2008
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the good info. I really appreciate it. And wildcat092 I might just take you up on your offer. Do you have a boat??????????????? ::)