PDA

View Full Version : Lake Chabot 2/16/08

h2odog
02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
The weather has been so nice, I figured I'd better get out and wet a line. Saturday morning I parked (for free) at Chabot Park in San Leandro and hiked up the nasty hill to the dam at Lake Chabot. A light fog hung over the lake (or were my glasses fogged by the sweat?) The rising sun burned off the fog in short order. I put 4 bucks in the slot and took a fishing permit. Not too many fishermen at this end of the lake. I made my way to the bank at Bass Cove. I tried the recommended Kastmaster for about 30 minutes, but nothing. So, I switched to a silver/black Rattletrap. 4 casts across a small cove and BAM! Fish on! It had that feel of a snag that takes line. Not too energetic, but something strong. I tugged, he tugged. Catfish? Carp? Eventually he came to the surface and rolled. What a hog! The biggest Rainbow I've ever seen outside of a hatchery. He took line several times and I was praying he didn't break me off. After about 10 minutes, he gave in and I slid him up on the gravel. I reached down and got 4 fingers in his gill. As I hoisted my trophy out of the water, he gave one last thrust of his massive body and my foot slid into the lake. Oh well, I guess he showed me! I didn't weigh him, but he was a full 27 inches. I'm guessing 6 maybe 6 1/2 pounds? Just goes to show you : If the "recommended lure" isn't working.... maybe you got some bad info. Is it possible a fisherman lied to me?

Keep pluggin away....

h2odog
02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
So, maybe I finally figured out how to post a photo of the trout I caught last week at Lake Chabot...maybe ??
Here goes nothing.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7358/dscf9347ju9.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf9347ju9.jpg)

Globetrouter
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Nice fish! And in my own back yard! I have got to get back th Chabot soon. Congrats! [smiley=cheers.gif]

ryanerb
02-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Wow, great fish, thanks for sharing. Interesting he hit that rattletrap, but after all, its just imitating a shad or something, which I'm sure he eats... Good of you to try something different! Do you think everyone will start fishin rattle traps now hopin to catch rainbows?

SlamminAmador
02-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Rainbow hitting a bass lure go figure Hey great fish...

h2odog
02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I must admit: This is the second time I've caught trout, in Bass Cove, on my silver/black Rattle Trap. Perhaps, because I'm a rookie, my techniques are not cast in stone. I figure if everybody is throwin' Kastmasters, the fish just might take something they haven't been seeing all day....... or maybe it's just a reaction bite? Who knows?

Thanks for the replies.

HBFishin
02-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Good job.
I have caught several trout at Chabot on the jointed Shad Rap. Have gotten them on the fire tiger and perch. Have heard that the blue gill and silver black are also successful there.
With the water so murky, throwing out something that makes noise helps the fish find the lure. Might be a strike out of aggression, but the results are the same.

Fish_R_Us
02-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Nice Rainbow. We use to sneak over to the dam area when it was off limits during the 70's. The small finger between the Dam and Bass Cove is the area where the giant trout could be seen cruising around. That's the finger where the main spillway is. We use to cast the normal metal hardware (spoons, spinners, kastmasters) to no avail. Then one time my friend brought his fly rod and gingerly casted a real grasshopper right in the fishes cruising lane. The trout rose up to the surface and slurped the bait down. It was a nice firm 5 lb. holdover rainbow.

SSTiddy
02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
One thing that I've learned for sure in my 30+ years of fishing is, we can only hope to catch'em [smiley=fishing5.gif]. Not figure them out!
I've caught bass on Kastmasters, trout on jerk baits & catfish on salmon eggs ( [smiley=homersimpson.gif] Doh).
Only thing I can figure is maby they are like us, and sometimes they just want a little somethin' different*[smiley=bunny.gif](a little strange so to speak).
Very nice fish. *I love to see a rookie shaking things up! What ever works, is the right bait *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]!!!!!!!