PDA

View Full Version : McSwain Res

DinoBlaster
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Does anyone here fish Mcswain Res? How is the bank fishing? I heard they just planted there last week. any info would be nice. Thankyou DB

sloteke234
02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Years ago I fished a few times from the bank, but now have a boat and troll it occasionally. If you can get a hold of a raft, you might paddle across to the Gilligans Island area from the campsites (see the FishSniffer fishing maps). I have done that before. Being that the lake is so narrow, it doesn't take very long. That or there is some dirt road access off of Lake McClure Road way up river that can be good for throwing lures. Not sure how much water is coming down though.

dare
02-21-2008, 12:23 PM
It is a well-stocked lake. I caught a 5lb brookie there recently on a wedding ring tipped with 'crawler. Try between the dam and the handicapped dock. I've pulled nice ones upstream near the McClure dam. Drive toward the dam until you see a monument and turn down toward the river, go downstream as far as you can drive. Park. Toss in powerbait with lots of lead to hold it down. The current is usually fast. That makes the fish feel bigger when you pull it in.

Trout_Ninja
02-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Does anyone here fish Mcswain Res? How is the bank fishing? I heard they just planted there last week. any info would be nice. Thankyou DB

McSwain is my usual destination. *6 bucks per car is all you have to pay for bank fishing. *There's 3 main places for bank fishing. *The handicap dock, the marina and the brush pile. *There's more spots up the lake where the water comes in at that are nice but require some hiking and/or some off roading. *My dad and I have come home with 10 fish more times than I can count. *We sort of got spoiled at McSwain. *But now we've found out that McSwain isn't too great in the rainy season. *It sits at the bottom of a very dusty and hilly area. *When it rains, all that dirt washes into the lake and makes visibility pretty ridiculous. *He went out there with a friend on Monday toplining, after 6 hours.. nothing. *So we've started going to other places to finally see what they are like. *But from May - December, McSwain rocks!

DinoBlaster
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks everyone..I like going to the brush pile with my daughters now there is a bathroom near by. Except it is usually all taken by the time we get there. I always wanted to try the area closer to McClure but did'nt know if it get crowded there. Thanks again thinking about heading there Sunday weather permiting. DB

DinoBlaster
02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Here is a picture from last time we went. Used 4lb line with just white marshmellow on a slip sinker set-up. Our next choice of bait is the Rainbow powerbait. We were doing so well one day other kids were coming over to see what we were using so gave my extra bottle to them and within minutes everbody was hitting them.
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2976/apr01385cy7.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=apr01385cy7.jpg)

cynnate
02-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Dino

I've had pretty good success with white gulp power eggs. [smiley=angling.gif]

N8

mi3npri3de
02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
yea i was there yesterday and the last time they planted was thursday feb 14.. the best spot for me is the handicap dock, i always catch a fish when im there... my buddy caught 2 off of kastmaster and 2 off of powerbait... i think the summer was the best because right now is kinda slow for me.. good luck

FresnoJack
02-22-2008, 04:08 PM
The 3 best areas for bank fishing are the handicap pier, the "Brush Pile" and the power house.

The pier is by the picnic and play areas. Fish on the dam side of the pier for deeper water. Good fishing from the pier to the dam.

The "Brush Pile" is the cove past the Loop E campground. You can camp right above the cove if you wish. I fish on the upriver side of the cove. You can walk down or drive in on an unimproved dirt road.

The power house is up river beyond the camp grounds. Try the river below the power house, especially early morning.

Silver and blue-silver Kastmasters. Sizes 5 and 7 firetiger Rapalas. White Power Egg/'crawler combinations, white or chartreuse Power Bait or inflated nightcrawlers.

After the storm a few weeks ago, the water was pretty muddy, especially upriver. The water should again be muddy following the storms this week.