PDA

View Full Version : Camanche Feb. 19

FishWisher
02-21-2008, 11:21 AM
This was my first fishing trip since August, as I'd sold my beloved C-Dory and it took awhile to realize I really needed another boat. Bad!

We did poorly. In fact, we were skunked. We trolled around both Hat Islands, along the buoy line and points in between. Nada. Zilch. We trolled from about 10:30 to about 1:30. Had we had any luck we likely would have kept trying.

My new (to me) 15' Klamath Walk Through with 25 HP Merc 4-stroke ran wonderfully. I was very pleased with the slow troll, the adequate cruise with two aboard and the handling. She is a fine little boat.

And I was pleased that the HHR pulled her nicely and delivered 15 MPG.

We trolled mostly near the surface with Rapala Fire Tigers, awhile with an orange grub, an orange spinner, a sling blade with a Kokabug, and I don't remember what all. Zilch.

It was pretty ridiculous the boat inspection and form we had to fill out. And reading of another 'Sniffer being turned away for having a wet anchor rode and a bit of water in the boat was really discouraging. They'll turn me away for such nonsense just once and never, ever again! Talk about bureaucracy run amok!!

The weather is looking good for a trip next week, maybe we'll do better.

Dale

Edit for photo enlargement.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/FishWisher/2008-2HHRboat2-1.jpg

SuperDave
02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Dale,

That lake can sometimes just plain shutoff at 11:00 a.m. *Better set your alarm a little earlier next week. * ;)

P.S. - The new boat looks great.

GW_Extreme
02-21-2008, 12:57 PM
When the dam and Hat Island are not working try up the river past the bridge.

TroutWagon
02-21-2008, 02:07 PM
I fished there on monday and didn't get fish until 1:00 pm so, maybe you didn't fish long enough. I went back to the bridge upriver and found fishing to be better there than the dam. red and brass was a good color for needlefish and humdingers.

fishnmike2002
02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
That lake is one of the most fickle I fish. It regulary shuts off around 10 or 10:30 and sometime comes back on on the afternoon. One day will be wide open but the next is dead.

Keep at it and you'll find them.

FishnMike

Mickey_Thomas
02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Dale,

That lake can sometimes just plain shutoff at 11:00 a.m. *Better set your alarm a little earlier next week. * ;)

P.S. - The new boat looks great.I bet he doesn't even own a alarm Dave :D Glad the boat and tow went well Dale, guess you'll have to take a refresher course on actually catching fish ;D ;D ;D

FishWisher
02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Alarm? As in fish alarm on the fish finder? Yep, I have one of those! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Just wait 'til next week...

Dale