PDA

View Full Version : any San Pablo reservoir reports?

bobcatken
02-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Planning on banking it later this week at San Pablo reservoir. *I wanted to know if anybody fished it opening weekend and had any luck from shore. *Last year I remember they stocked it quite aggressively at the beginning of the trout season. *I'm wondering if they are continuing to stock this way. *I think I need all the help I can get. * *;D *FWIW, I'll post a report later this week if I do end up driving there. *thanks in advance.

Praveen
02-18-2008, 10:36 AM
I was out there yesterday from 10a-430p. I t was really packed everywhere. Finally found a spot in the pines, but is was next to some people that were absolutley a pain to deal with. It was a constant cast right over your lines an a reel in every minutes causing tangled lines. I did manage to toss back a mini planter, hook a big fish as the line was screaming off the reel only to have one of the guys fishing next to me cast over while I was fighting the fish and hook my line and starts reeling in >:(, well you know what happens next I all tied up in the weeds below a couple good head shakes and it was gone :-[. I was totally dishearted but did not say much to the men because there was a young daughter around. Good news that a officer rolled up in the bushes and scoped out for a while, came over to us and checked licenses and permits. He asked if all those guys have fishing I said yes. He walked over to the men and a few minutes later tickets were issued ;D ;D. Bite is slow about a fish a group. Water very murky. Crawler were getting the most attention. I knew I should have taken the boat out but with these inpections and boat hrs and days you only can launch I think sp is seeing its great reputation going far far down.

bobcatken
02-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the report Praveen. Sorry to hear you lost a big one because of some inconsiderate guy. You did the right thing in avoiding a confrontation. Glad to hear an officer was around to enforce the rules.

Anybody else fish SP this weekend?

phengly
02-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I had to have the cops assist me last year after I saw a group of rude, profane, disrespectful fishermen who were WELL above their limits. The good thing about SPR is that it is patrolled by the East Bay Regional Park Police- not the sheriffs or local police who don't know as much (and to be honest; care as much) about fish and game regulations. When I called them they were there in about 20 minutes and were very helpful.

Jerrdirt
02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow interesting that I just found this post. I was actually going to put up a post myself. Anyhow, I went out late today and fished near the launch with a couple buddies and my young cousin. We did fairly well considering the fog and clouds which rolled right in around 3pm. I don't think the bite will be red hot since this is just the opening weekend but things should begin picking up in about a couple weeks once the water becomes clearer because it's still a bit murky. All in all, we left today with a couple 2-3 pounders which worked out real well.

bobcatken
02-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Called the marina this afternoon and they said a total of 7000 pounds were stocked last week. *Hope some of fish will be biting for me...

Tigerfox
02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I went on Saturday. Got there at 6am. Had 20 to 30 cars in front of me. Everyone and there brothers mother went fishing.

We got a few bites in the morning. Nothing came back for a second hit. We threw everything at them, from powerbait to cheese. We raised and lowered our leaders. We found out that they are close, and low. Under 24 inches and only 20 to 30 feet out. No need to heave ho a huge weight out there.

With that being said, I sugget that you use splitshots and not a sliding sinker set-up. The trout are very timid. Since there has been very little action and a lot of fish being planted at one time. And almost any green powerbait, and white and green power eggs. Also with the water cloudy, you need a scent or two. The berkely trout scent worked good for a few people out there. I suggest any krill or shad scent as well.

I also spoke to the ranger, he told me that the word is they start hitting around 11 or 12. Once the water heats up a little. When the sun is out for an hour or so.

I hope this info helps. I spent the whole day with one fish. And seen a few taken out in uncoventional ways. But still had fun with friends I hadn't seen in a few months.

Good luck and tight lines!!!!!!