PDA

View Full Version : New Melones 2-16

dogfish30
02-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Real slow today. I was on the water around 6:30 this morning and started out towards the dam. Not even a bite. Headed up past the second bridge and worked the bay there for nothin. Worked around the 49 bridge then all through Carson Cove. Not even a bite! I threw over two dozen different combos at them too. Apex's, rolled shad, Wedding rings, spinners, Excel's, and crawlers. Used a bunch of different flashers, dodgers, and sidekicks too. Fished the surface to 60 feet. Zip. Did get to talk to a bunch of people now that my radio works. There was Mickey, Doc, Ron, Super Dave, Tortuga, and Froggie, and a bunch I can't remember. Didn't sound like anybody had a box full of fish. That's three skunks in a row for me. Going to have to work on that. It was nice talking to all of you folks, and I hope you all ended up with something. DF30

johnbfishin
02-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the report, these are just as important as the 'catching reports'.
You probably talked to Goose on the radio also, you aren't alone Goose ended the day with a skunk as well.

drstressor
02-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah, it was really dismal. There were at least 9 sniffer boats out there and nobody got so much as a hit all day. Mickey is so discouraged that he isn't even going to fish tomorrow. I'll be riding with Martinez Frank.

It was nice talking with some folks I'd never met before though. I thought that a guy a in a pontoon was flipping us the bird on the way up river. Turned out that is was Goose just waving hello. ;D

johnbfishin
02-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, it was really dismal. There were at least 9 sniffer boats out there and nobody got so much as a hit all day. Mickey is so discouraged that he isn't even going to fish tomorrow. *I'll be riding with Martinez Frank. *

I gotta say I'm glad I didn't drag myself up there with this chest cold, no fish and then partying with you guys probably would have killed me. :o ;) ;D

steveo79
02-16-2008, 11:25 PM
I was headed into work, going across Parrotts Ferry Bridge at about 9:30, saw a whole bunch of boats trolling, maybe it was you guys. Did anyone have a good day? Man, I would have jumped at the chance to fish, instead of work!

Chadzilla
02-17-2008, 12:19 AM
I was momentarily jealous as I drove over the 49 bridge and saw all the boats on the water as I was on my way to Cabelas... turns out I got as many hits on my road trip as I likely would have if I stayed and fished. By the way, although Cabelas is impressive, I give the Bass Pro Shops in Rancho the nod and hope the Manteca store will be at least the same size as the one in Rancho (it appeared to be quite a bit bigger than the Reno Cabelas).

Farrier_Frank
02-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Incredible report. Like JohnB said the skunk reports are just as important as the days we all get limits. But I don't remember a report this bleak. When 9 Sniffers' get skunked the bite really is off. Funny thing is last week at Pyramid a couple of guys from Quincy asked me about Melones and I told them how great that lake is... I sure hope they read this and don't head that way until things change down there. :-/

Garden_Valley_Fish
02-17-2008, 07:10 AM
I,m glad Dennis and I opted to go to Comanche :-/

tortuga
02-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Froggie and I were out from 8-4 and ended up boating 2 fish. I caught a 13" koke in Carson Cove and an 11" bow just outside Carson Cove heading in at the end of the day. Both were caught toplining a silver dodger with a night crawler 12" back. Other than that I had 1 pop up and Froggie had 1 hit (we know it was a fish cuz it ate her worm). But it sure was a beautiful day on the water with my favorite fishing partner and it was nice talking to all those sniffers. We managed to release the bow but the koke went belly up so we kept it for dinner. I'm not sure what the heck is going on, we weren't even seeing any fish on my FF. I did get a pic of the koke...I'll get it on later.
Tortuga

vvbob
02-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Ironic that Berryessa is experiencing the same kind of bite....

Both lakes very simular in that they were both very low this last year. They both also have a population of Largemouth & Spotted Bass.
Threadfin Shad is the bait fish in Berry, anyone know what it is in NM??

Dennis
02-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm glad Dennis and I opted to go to Camanche :-/
Me too!
;)

freon
02-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Me too!

I still think the only reason you two caught fish was because two bad luck charms came together and somehow formed some good luck out of it ;D
That probably is what caused the other sniffers to not have any luck ;) ;D

Dennis
02-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey it's Sparky!

I thought you might have headed out to New Melones to chase the black and white kitty.

froggie
02-17-2008, 12:23 PM
OK, well I got "skunked " out there yesterday also. That's my second in a row. We tried around the spillway, Glory Point, Carson Cove, the 49 bridge, & Coyote Creek & didn't even mark many fish either. We were looking for some big browns or a nice fat rainbow TROUT!! [smiley=captjack.gif]
It was my 1st trip on the lake for 2008. I was ready! [smiley=sad.gif]
My rod bounced a few times, but never released from the downrigger... when I released it & reeled it in...no worm! So, I got a legitimate HIT. But, Tortuga managed to get a couple. We were able to toss the 'bow back quickly, so didn't get a photo of it. But the koke was quite a pretty thing. I'd rather not catch those now...like to see 'em get bigger. But, Tortuga was very happy to finally get a fish. Here's the pics:
A Beautiful Day:
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/21938/2110001070067872317S200x200Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2110001070067872317nOcPkO)
Watching Tortuga's Poles:
http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/17601/2806457580067872317S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2806457580067872317cWJkPk)
1st Koke of 2008:
http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/20543/2569349160067872317S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2569349160067872317oNaXLk)
Froggie [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

Farrier_Frank
02-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Loved the report, Froggie.... especially like the photo in the rear view mirror. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

drstressor
02-17-2008, 02:44 PM
The skunk didn't stop at NM today. Fished with Martinez Frank and his wife and nobody got so much as a hit. SuperDave a bunch of lines in the water and managed 1 12" koke. That makes his boat the high liner for the trip. Most everybody else went home this morning or fished at Comanche.

I blame it all on Mickey. Holding a sneak semi-fest is bad Karma. ;)

vvbob
02-17-2008, 02:55 PM
I blame it all on Mickey. Holding a sneak semi-fest is bad Karma.

Kinda serves him right.....too bad it rubbed off on the rest of you :D :D

Farrier_Frank
02-17-2008, 03:26 PM
That's just great.... Mickey got skunked and now he'll probably start drinking again. I can't wait for Pyramid Fest. He'll probably end up hanging around my camp bumming beers. [smiley=wileecoyote.gif]

johnbfishin
02-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Well I didn't want to say anything but Mickey had told me if the bite was slow he wouldn't fish Sunday.....I guess he didn't share that with doc. ;)

Note to self: A sneak mini fest is bad karma. :o

fishguts
02-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Well, we are heading up there Monday. Kathy is feeling well enough and want to go out out on the water. Don't expect to catch anything and it will be more to just get out for a while and play with some new products and enjoy the day.
With the dismal reports maybe just trolling down the center of the lake is the better option? It worked last year, Who knows......
Will have 5 rods out, 4 on DR and one on a side planer if the wind stays down.

Slim
02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
I think I'll go under to check out whats going on..

Going under.......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Melones/f655e16c.jpg

johnbfishin
02-17-2008, 07:54 PM
That's pretty funny Slim, glad to see you have a sense of humor.....and then some. ;)

SneakAttack
02-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Slim-
WATCH OUT!!!! There's submerged trees about 10 ft in front of your truck!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D I know, I've hung up on them many times... :-/

Great Photochopping there Slim!

SA

maui_mark
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Sorry for the late post. Just got in late last night. Only fished NM on Saturday. Rolled shad, pulled J7 rapallas, grubs, and half a baby nighcrawlers for no joy at the darn area. Trolled from the surface down to 50'.
Then went and got lost, no lake map and my GPS had me trolling on hwy 49 when I was still on the lake, the boat was still wet anyhow... Ended up catching one 13" rainbow toplineing half a baby crawler on a #8 owner misquito hook. No flashers, blades, beads or spinners, just worm, and fished right in tight on the bank in the Angels Cove area... like I said, I got really lost looking for the 49 bridge. Luckily for me the nephew pulled out his IPhone, pulled up a map of the lake and I managed to find my way to the bridge without running into it or anything...
It was great day weather-wise, and heard lots of sniffers on the radio. Nice to speak with you all. I'm a little shy on the radio, so didn't talk to many folks, sorry.
Nobody sounded like they were having much luck... The fish must be further up river panning for gold or something ... Mark

Martinez Frank
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
well like Doc said it was a skunky couple days but the weather was nice the company was the best the food was very good and plenty to drink :DThanks to Super Dave for taking my wife and myself on his boat on Saturday and thanks to Doc for coming with us on Sunday and shareing all of his knowlege, and good to see Ilene too ;). And always good to see Mickey and Hammer, got to meet Fish for fun and his wife, Rongonefishing and dad and Rick and Anna. Someone reported on the radio that he had 4 in the boat and caught them on bacon and eggs ;D