PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Crest Trail Fishing 2/8 - 2/10 TR

Fish_Bully
02-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I spent the past few days wondering around the State of Jefferson. The PCT wanders either right next to or very nearby all the waters I visited. Starting with the Pit River I then fished Baum Lake, McCloud Lake and very shortly sampled the Upper Sac. I both spin casted and fly fished and had what I would describe as a vacation type time. I caught a few bows and probably close to 30 browns in all.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/PCT_Baum.jpg

On the first leg of my trip which included the Pit River (below Britton) and Baum Lake, I was honored to be accompanied by an insect expert and we were able to camp at the Cassel campground for no fee. For McCloud and the Upper Sac portion of my trip I was solo.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/Baum9.jpg

If you decide to ply the waters of these great destinations please, I beg of you, walk softly and leave the place in better shape than when you arrived. I was really disappointed at the trash at Baum. I filled up a plastic Target bag with fishing line, worm containers, egg jars and various other garbage. From being a long time visitor of this lake I can assure you this is something new and this lake is not used to this kind of trashing.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/Baum5.jpg

C&R picture taking proved challenging for me as I was fishing with waders for the most part. At Baum, I didn't have a boat or any other floating device, just waded. Baum is realy tough to wade because of the mud and weeds. There are but a few choice wading locations that will give you equal opportunity to that of the floaters but you had better arrive early to snag one, otherwise the spots are quickly taken and you will be left to deal with the mud, moss and weeds. Muskrats tunnels and traps are another unfortunate obsticle to deal with when wading.

Then I was solo and dispersed camped in the area of McCloud Lake. If you are serious about visiting any of these locations please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be glad to share what I learned. Also, you shouldn't go solo. I only do because over the years I have learned how to wart off the evil Ku-Ku-Pa-Rick spirits. The Shasta-Winton Indians believed in these spirits and so do I...too many strange and creepy incidents for me....believe it!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/Camp1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/HatCreek3.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/HatCreek2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/Brown1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/Brown6.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/LassenChaos.jpg

Tight lines,

Flip

Flycanoe
02-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Sounds like an awesome winter trip. Thanks for sharing. *8-)

I haven't camped with a tent in the snow since I was in boy scouts. *;D

NRSCOUT
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Absolutly beautiful !!!

Solo times are some of the best times.

NRSCOUT

B-RAN
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
man thats what i call the sights :) looks pretty beautiful up there! looks like there is just a little snow up there.

steveo79
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Great Pictures! Makes me anxious for summer vacation up at lake Britton. Love fishing that area.
I agree with you on the trashing of our fishing waters. The areas I fished for years, are getting worse, not better.. Worse case scenario, they just cut off the access to the area for everyone. Better to do as you did, and pick up some garbage when you go. Some people just have no clue, and it's sad, as they ruin it for the rest of us.

MattMan
02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Great pics, Fish Bully. That was very enjoyable. ;) Thanks for the great report. Nice. ;)

Captain Compassion
02-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Beautiful Flip. Thanks.

CC

rpwlaw11
02-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for a great report! You can't fake the passion and sincerity your report detailed. Keep up the good work.

SSTiddy
02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
I've nerver fished these waters, but I've passed them on many a trek from Cal. to my old home of O-gun. Thanks for shareing those beautiful pictures. And I hope you have many prosperous days to come on any waters that you venture to. Because those that respect the Earth's bounty's should revel in the enjoyment that they bring 8-).
It really saddens me to hear that these once pristine locations are being violated by those who obviously do not understand how rare places like this are in this day and age :'(. So thank you for doing more than your part to preserve these locations so that others might see them as they should be, PRISTINE ;D. Thanks again!
Steve aka SSTiddy

BreakofDawn
02-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Talk about Cabin fever!!!! Way to go Flip. How many days did you spend out there? How many miles did you hike? The only place I have fished up there is Shasta once for a big fat skunk. It wasn't really a fishing trip thou. The thing I remember most was how hot and humid it was there. I was in the water every ten minutes. Looks like you didn't have that trouble ;D Thanks for sharing your trip and always look forward to the Nomad stories 8-)

Fish_Bully
02-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the replies and kind words everyone. :)

Like I stated, it was a vacation type time thanks in most part to the weather. It only got cold at night. In the mornings my rain fly was frozen hard as a rock. The only thing that bothered me was my back. The wading caused my back to scream and I was poping motrin just to keep going. If you plan on wading the treacherous Pit, you better have a wading staff and wear a safety belt. With all the layers of wool socks I couldn't fit into my regular felt sole boots. Time to get into shape I suppose. I have all next week off and I am trying to figure out where to go.

BoD - Yea cabin fever huh? This wasn't a nomadic hiking trip at all. Why I was even able to bring along a DVD player so I could watch re-runs of Entertainment Tonight and America's Next Top Model. ;D

SSTiddy - Don't pass up this area any more, especially during the summer....lots of drive-to high country lakes calling your name.

Tight lines,

Flip

windknot51
02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Sounds like you had a fun trip! I'm dying to get out fishing somewhere other than the crowded west slope tailwaters that are open and (relatively) close right now. Definitely going to have to make another trip up to the Burney/Lassen area to hit Manzanita Lake once the weather gets warmer.

Matt

fenton_chris
02-13-2008, 12:41 AM
looks awesome!!! i miss fishing+hiking trips :( i no longer know anyone thats want to go anymore.

Fish_Bully
02-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Hey Matt - Great to hear from you. Have you been studying the topos this winter and got your trips and permits all in order? You know one trip I will absoutely do this year? I'll give you a hint...."The Hunt For Brown October". Yea baby, in fact if you're planning a return trip maybe we can go together.

fenton_chris - I have the same problem except that my kids occasionally go with me. I belonged to a backpacking forum for years but I found out one thing - Generally speaking, backpackers don't fish and fishermen don't backpack.

Flip

wmgraphics
02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey Flip and Chris,

Don't be so sure, there are still a few of us that never forget the poles when headed out on the trail. Me and my wife are avid fishermen and backpackers and caught our far share of back-country natives.
Actually our last trip we went up 80 and hiked PCT to Paradise Lake. Before the lake you go down into Paradise Valley, where you hit a small wooden bridge over North creek. This small stream had so many fish, it was insane. You had to stalk them a bit as some were basking. Most of these fish would jet from under the bank and hit the silver swivel and then see the bugger go by and chase it down. At times I had 4-6 fish darting and charging my line. I caught a limit dinner that night in less than 10 minutes. Bugs were real bad, but for a fisherman... that is such a good sign.
Once at Paradise it was good fishing near the dam. But as the sun dropped and the hatch showed, it was on. I use a 7'6" 4 piece fly/spin IM6 combo rod, so switching is reel easy. I caught nearly a dozen fish and few nice ones to throw in my bacon, butter, onion tinfoil wrap... yummy campfire viddles.
At Warren it was a little diffrent, caught a few that night. Had a good hatch but all the action seemed to be near the middle of the lake, don't know if there was a submerged island or not.

Anyways, point of the story is... you guys are not alone and if you ever are, send me a PM and the plan. I'm sure we'll be up for a bit of a hike and fish.

Mike

Fish_Bully
02-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Right on Mike. I know there are a few backpacking fishermen, that's why I started by saying, "Generally speaking...."

I have a lot of backpacking friends but they are way more into peak bagging than fishing. I claim to be a fisherman who backpacks, not a backpacker who fishes It's too much work otherwise (and the fishing is just awesome).

Flip

Captain Compassion
02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Right on Mike. I know there are a few backpacking fishermen, that's why I started by saying, "Generally speaking...."

I have a lot of backpacking friends but they are way more into peak bagging than fishing. I claim to be a fisherman who backpacks, not a backpacker who fishes It's too much work otherwise (and the fishing is just awesome).

I have to say Flip that you go to the neatest places of any fisherman I know. Please keep it up.

CC