PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle high and muddy

Woody
02-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Del Valle is completely full and then some but it is also muddy. Water clarity at the marina is zero at the dam about 1 ft. We fished from 1pm till about 5pm for three fish all hold over fish about 14" hard fighting full tails. All fish released to fight another day. Orange J-7 Rapala caught two fish Fire tiger J-7 one fish.

Good luck to everyone fishing this weekend. I will not be out there this weekend. it's time to start tiling the kitchen Oh boy what fun.

Woody

Klamdog
02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Woody-
I was hoping you would post this week. *I haven't been out there since mid December, tiled all three bathrooms! *I've been following the Del Valle posts, and have come to the conclusion that you're the resident pro! *I was hoping to get out Saturday, but the water condition doesn't sound like much fun! *Are they letting water out, I would imagine that would even muddy it up a little more? *I usually fish Del Valle starting in early April. *How long after the rains does the clarity seem to come back out there? *Maybe it would be worth the wait! *Thanks for all the good reports!

ken_fishnfool
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Woody, I thank you VERY much for the post!
I was wondering, and pondering a run up there myself. I guess I'll postpone for a couple of weeks.
It sounds like they pumped it up early with the Delta water. I wished they did that this early last year!

Klamdog, It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks to settle out after they finally pump it up. I know this is frustrating, but, it bodes well for the rest of the spring season!
The last half of March, and through April, is going to be AWESOME for trout , as well as bass, this year.
If we only could get some days in the mid 60's!!

ryanerb
02-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Woody,

Nice to hear you made it out there! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Old_School
02-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks Woody.

I may be fishing saturday.
Hum, to go or not to go.

Anyone ever try any strong garlic sents on lures in these murky waters!

johnbfishin
02-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I was using "Bang" garlic scent last weekend on rapalas and apexes but I didn't put any fish in the boat....one strike.

I'll most likely be out there Sat. I bought my second rod stamp and some night crawlers today.....seems those trout are liking the crawlers lately. ;)

fishmaster
02-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the report Woody. I am going to try to get out there this weekend.

Woody
02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey guys

I don't believe they are filling the lake with Delta water. At this point it is all from the Creek at the South end. What happens is when it gets full they start letting water out at the dam and it starts pulling the muddy water from the south end North to the dam.
If I was going out this weekend I might head to the creek inlet and see if the water is starting to clear in the creek. If it is bait fish right at the inlet to the creek it can be real good there this time of the year.

For the bank guys if you go to the south end go over the bridge and turn right, park in the first parking lot walk out on the point on the far side of the swim area. It is all trees and bushes and not to easy to get through but when you get to the point there is a couple of places to fish and it can be real good.

If the weather holds two more weeks and it will be real good.

See you on the water
Woody

jcg
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
We were out on Wednesday too. Fished from about 9AM-1PM. I think we were pulling out boat out when you were putting yours in based on the pic of your boat. Anyways we trolled down by the dam and didn't get a single strike all day. I'd say the visibility by the dam is closer to 6 inches, it's very muddy. And I have never seen Del Valle this high before. Everyone we were talking to that was trolling wasn't getting anything. We trolled the surface since we don't have downriggers, but we asked someone with downriggers marking fish around 30ft and he hadn't gotten any bites either. I'd guess its a couple weeks easy before the water clears, and I would think the fishing will be extermely difficult in the mean time. FYI, I mostly fish stripers/bass so not on this board much. We tried some for bass yesterday, but again no bites but the water needs to get into the 50 degree range before that will pickup.

jcg

Woody
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
JCG That was more then likely me we lunched about 1 or 1:30. When it is muddy at DV or most lakes troll bright colored very active lures with sent on them. Night crawlers also seem to work well when water is raising because the fish are keyed into worms due to the raising water.

See you on the water
Woody

white_cap
02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Hay Woody, I’ve been admiring your boat, and the way you’ve got it set up. Now I know you don’t have all that nice boat just to fish Del Valle???????????????
[smiley=fishing1.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]

Woody
02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
White Cap you are correct although DV is only about 15 miles from my house and it's not a bad fishery. I fish Shasta, Amador, New Melones, Beryessa and will be fishing Eagle lake, Pyramid and what ever other body of water I come across.

See you on the water
Woody

white_cap
02-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I thought so, any way “nice ride Woody”
[smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

jcg
02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah I fish the delta for bass so I know muddy :) And I was fishing a rapala bright orange minnow with the gold underbelly, and I tried with and without a night crawler trailer but nada. Anyways I'm waiting for the lake to clear before I go back, or maybe with this warm weather if it holds the delta bass bite will turn on early this year.

jcg

JCG That was more then likely me we lunched about 1 or 1:30. *When it is muddy at DV or most lakes troll bright colored very active lures with sent on them. *Night crawlers also seem to work well when water is raising because the fish are keyed into worms due to the raising water.

See you on the water
Woody

johnbfishin
02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm gonna give DV a shot tomorrow. I'm going with big, noisy, stinky and a slow troll.....large Ford Fenders pulling a crawler with scent. 8-)
A buddy of mine is taking his boat also, anyone else?

02-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey JohnBfishin, give us a report on how ya did. Hopefully I can make it Sun. Anybody else going?

johnbfishin
02-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Del Valle 2/9......Hit the water at 6:20 but probably should have slept in, no hit's til the sun was on the water.
I caught 1 @ 14" on flashers pulling a night crawler with a 3/8 oz weight, trolling at about 1.3 mph I couldn't have been down more than 15'. Nothing for another hour or so. My buddy Jimmy was in his boat top lining a crawler on one line and a needle fish tipped with a crawler on the other (no flashers & no weight) for some bites but nothing stuck.

After we left Heron Bay trolling back to the launch I put on a silver kastmaster, let out some line the killed power to pull in the other line loaded with Ford Fenders. I put on a rapala and started the troll towards the launch and *the kastmaster gets hit (middle fish in the photo). I have no idea where my lure was, just one of those fukey things. A few minutes later Jimmy nails the top fish in the pic on the needle fish.
That was it for the day.

The two bigger fish are pretty nice considering they are planters, notice the split in the tail of the smaller one, that's the third fish I've seen like that and I'm kinda wondering whats up with the split tails?

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5879/fish003cg1.jpg

Yeah 3.5 I'm using crawlers, but if you ask me tomorrow I'll tell you it was rapalas and apexes. ;) ;D ;D

Woody
02-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Johnbfishin congrats on the fish well done. Some times it pays to break down and do what you don't want to do. That is like stopping and bait fishing.

See you on the water
Woody

02-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey JohnBfishin, glad ya guys got into some, I'm hopefully gonna try late morning on sun. How was the water?

johnbfishin
02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey JohnBfishin, glad ya guys got into some, I'm hopefully gonna try late morning on sun. How was the water?

About the same, certainly not any better than the last time you were there. There was a couple of boats anchored up at either end (north to south) of Heron Bay on the east shore that had some action but that's all we saw happening from other boats.

I should add that we were off the water at 11:00 so it's not like we made a day of it.