PDA

View Full Version : Lake Natoma?

gotta_go_now
02-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Looking for any advice...I understand the state record came out of the place. *I've been out once, last weekend *tired each a watermelon, pink, & blue flasher (Seps) with a night crawler (about 18 inches apart), also a watermelon flasher with a pearl and the pumpkin grub. *

Toplined and used DR at 10 feet with both set ups. *Also used the new 'brownee-looking' Rapala. *

Got skunked...? * :-/

Any ideas?

fenton_chris
02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
do a search on here for natoma, you'll get your answers, or we can go over again for the 100th time! ::)

gotta_go_now
02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Did the search earlier, great picture of a monster from last month, and a lot of banter about proposed closing of American River, ie the basin...but absolutley nothing on fishing Natoma when I searched. So i guess, unless you can tell me how i've bungled my search, both Lake Natoma, and Natoma I would ask that you help a brother out, even for the 101st time!

campngolf
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
My search got the same results yours did. Hmm...search not working well.

As for fishing Lake Natoma, it's a tough place to catch fish. Yes, there are some hogs in there but you have to pay your dues. My boys and I have had our kayak out there several times for nothin' but skunk.

Sorry I can't give better advice, but I haven't figured it out either.

Trout_Terminator
02-07-2008, 10:46 PM
so i take it that you have a boat correct? if you do, get minnows (must be live) or night crawlers, and go up as far as you can before the prison guards say thats far enough, and get an invisible bobber, and just drift your minnow or night crawler down the drift, reel in, and just repeat. the fish are at multiple depths, so you have to fluctuate your bait. post up on how you do,

-TT

fenton_chris
02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
i did a search and got 31 posts ;)

Trout_Terminator
02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
i did a search and got 31 posts ;)

he's got 2 post, give him a break *;) ;D

-TT

GN.
02-08-2008, 05:43 AM
First let me say "welcome aboard".

Second. I have yet to figure that lake out either and I live 5 min away so I wish I had already so I didn't have to go as far to catch fish. My friend and his brother both have caught fish there and have tried to tell me what they did. I'm sure I could figure it out if I spent enough time there. It's just hard to justify spending too many precious days off there when there are fish to be caught other places. Good luck figuring it out.

GN

Trout Tracker
02-08-2008, 06:42 AM
I ve got a 14ft valco that i have fished Natomas from 4 times in the last 5 years.
And i have found out that the only good place to fish is what i call up river towards the prison cable.
I have caught a few fish but it is tough going and like everyone says...You got to put in some time.
Have also lost alot of gear .
I have tried trolling to the cable that is the boundry for gas motors and have yet to catch a fish in that area.
But it is close to home and helps some what to get the got to go fishing itch off.
And don't go past the cable up river...The prison guards get grumpy.
Bob

gotta_go_now
02-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Mr. Fenton...
Thanks for the heads up on the search, changed my search time frame to a year, found more threads than i could read...

At least I now know why i lost 3 set ups last week, (due to the cables).

Also, as to whether you can fish in the south part of the lake, I launched at Hazel, when I came out a ranger was near by and i stopped to ask him what he knew about the fishing and said not much...he was surpised more didn't fish the lake...didn't give me any rundown about I couldn't be on that part (I ran the aquatic center up about a mile, lots of fish marked).

Thanks all for the info.

dave_in_el_dorado
02-08-2008, 09:58 AM
gottago......check out this thread if you havent already, lots of great info there...pay attention to the guys who've had some success upriver.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1196792668/12#12