PDA

View Full Version : grubs

glasbar
01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
never fisher grubs, so lets use cabels web site for the size and color samples or if you have a better web site let me know. Now how do you rig to troll as in weight or flasher or what about a weighted hook?
THANKS

dirty3hirties
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I get 2 or 3" powegrubs.....but also use Cabela brands as well. Good colors are typically white, pearl, orange, firetiger, pumpkinseed....but try anything.

I get Gamkatsu light wire straight shank worm hooks....size 2. Or Aberdeen hooks if those are hard to find.

Hook the grub through the head all the way down to the tail. Make sure the hook is inline with the tail either way is fine. Meaning, the hook should come out below the tail or above it....not pointed to the side.

A lot of people will use a poweregg/gulp egg as a "head" so you would just thread it on before the grub....try using various color combos.

At this time of year, you can use it w/o weight. Works great with sidekicks, dodgers, full flashers, micro flashers. Troll speed anywhere from .7 - 1.4 mph typically. If you want weight...split shots typically do the trick. The good thing about using soft baits such as this is if a fish strikes and misses, he will usually come back to hit it again....don't be so quick to pull away to fast. I try "feeding" the grub back...as it slows and falls, that triggers more strikes. As long as they don't feel the sting of the hook, they will come back. You won't get that same reaction from hard plastics.

My $.02.

RonM
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
It might be a good ideal to post where you are looking to fish, D30 gave you a setup for Amador but it may be different for other lakes.

mtnlks
01-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I fish them on an Uncle Larrys Pro snell spinner or with just a wiggle disc or with a sling blade infront of the wiggle disc and grub on #2 hook and I allways use Pro-cure super gel (krill,nightcrawler,trophy trout,shad)most allways on the downrigger 5ft. and down. that way you dont need weights. Brown,black,watermelon,orange,white.

Howard

dirty3hirties
01-28-2008, 01:23 PM
It might be a good ideal to post where you are looking to fish, D30 gave you a setup for Amador but it may be different for other lakes.

What Ron. said is true because most everyone that trolls Amador will use grubs as a #1 option.

However, I have used the same set up at Caples, Quarry, Del Valle, Shadowcliffs, Pablo, Lafayette, basically anywhere and it will produce. It's just a matter of finding the right depths and colors.

I think in a heavily pressured lake (which one's aren't nowadays ;) ), the very subtle action of the grub really entices bites from lethargic or "negative" fish. Same thing goes with bass, but you'll hear it much more talked about with Bass fishing. When cold fronts come in, heavily pressured lakes, etc, you'll have to downsize and slow your presentation to entice bass to strike. I think this same thing applies to trout. I'll always try grubs as a first option. It's better than trolling just a plain worm since you don't always have to check your bait if you get a strike, and it's less messy of course. Plus you have all kinds of color choices.

TroutWagon
01-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Grubs are a great trout lure. I would use it like a lure, I use in place of a nightcrawler, the trout comes and hits the nightcrawler and its all mangled, you need to change it. So grubs are tougher and work good naked, behind slingblades, flashers, dodgers, sidekicks and other lures as attractors and troll them slow like Ron said. good luck

tw

kokemachine83
01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I also use Grubs. At Camanche it is one of the best lures there. Some times thats all they will hit.

Speed: I like trolling slower than most. 0.8 - 1.2 is all i will go.

Set up: About a 4' leader with a 1/8 ounce egg sinker on the surface.
If i need to go deeper, just clip it to the down rigger.

Setting hook: Some times you will get a hit and it don't stick. Just give it some slack and hang on!!

Scents: Put on some Pro-cure Shad or Krill Gel on them. Just not to much!

Colors: Firetiger, Orange, Black Marble, White

Power eggs: You can put on a different color Power egg in front of it.

steveo79
01-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I second the opinions of DT, and TW. I've never fished Amador, but after reading of the grubs, and buying some, tried them on a day when my night crawlers were getting short striked, and I was running out of bait. Grub on, fish on. I've since used them as a first offering every time, on one rod, when trout fishing. They've worked at Cherry, Spicer, Beardsley, and Melones. I run them behind a wedding ring, and solo behind a sep's sidekick with good results.

atavuss
01-29-2008, 06:41 PM
I have used grubs as mentioned by the others at the high Sierra lakes along highway 88 when my usual lures do not get any action. I have had hits all day long with the grubs. maybe because the fish there have not seen that many or no grubs? whatever the reason may be they produce results!

glasbar
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks for all the Cool Tools, will add it to the box.
What about casting grubs at Pyramid from shore?
JK

Trout_Ninja
01-29-2008, 09:13 PM
What about a jig head? I've already made up some leaders with mini jigs and grubs attached, was planning on trying them this next time out. Seems like most of my hits lately have come from dragging bright stuff acorss the bottom so I figured with a jig head it would most definately be on the bottom. Any advice to grub fishing with jigs?

TroutWagon
01-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Trout ninja,

It's tough to cast them far, If you put too much weight on it, it will fall too far out of the strike zone. If you run it behind a small clear bubble float, you can suspend it right on the top ten ft. I use them In rivers and places I don't have to cast to far. This is the time of year were the trout are right at the shore, so you do not need to cast that far. work them in real, real slow and i use a big beaded swivel for a weight and let it sink really slow and gently reel it in and if you feel at hit and miss most likely it will strike again. scent will help too!

Good luck

TW

HBFishin
02-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Just to add my 2 cents on scent with grubs... pro-cure nightcrawler has worked the best for me in general. Go figure!
It is not a real overpowering scent either, so if you get a little too much on there, not a big deal.

trout_master
02-02-2008, 01:34 PM
I like the Seps Grubs. www.seps.com