PDA

View Full Version : What about the Thermalito FOREBAY?

żżż
01-26-2008, 11:09 PM
I noticed the DFG plants trout in there, and judging by Google maps, it's deeeeep compared to the color of the afterbay. Any you guys try the forebay? How is it?

I know that much of the talk is on the afterbay because of the steelie holdovers. Just wonderin'...

cgagex3
01-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Mooch,
I plan on trying it out on one of my future trips. I have heard good things about the forebay from locals that I have talked to at the afterbay.
It sounds like it would be worth a try.

CG

TeleComCal
01-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Mooch:

All depends. I have been out there 5 times this year, bakin' it, and have received nada darn thing for my time. If you are going to go out in a boat, then the South Forebay Rec Area is your best bet for launching. The North Forebay does not allow boats with motors to launch. Either way there is a fee for use of either place.

Yes, some REALLY nice bows have been caught in the Forebay. Late last year a 12 pounder and a 19.9 pounder were both reeled in. My wife caught a nice 2 pound bow last year and I have caught a couple of full stringers in the past there, and not just after a plant. Plenty of holdovers in that water, just gotta find them little buggers. If its a little windy elsewhere is Oroville, then the wind is a beast at the South Forebay. Be prepared for that.

From what I have seen, it is a good 50/50 mix of success between trollers and bankies. There is a heck of a levee around the Forebay also, that can be fished. If you are banking it, and don't mind walking, the levee can be pretty good. PM me for a not crowded entrance for banking it that is free.

Good luck. By the way, I have no idea what the launch fees are ( self registration with Rangers and Sheriff oth stopping by every now and then ) but parking for bankies is $4.00, at both Forebay locations.

Trout Tracker
01-29-2008, 06:35 AM
When i was a kid and lived in Oroville i fished the Forebay around the Nelson ave bridge or close to it and do remember catching fish.
I would love to try trolling but ,my gas motor is bolted to the boat and i don't feel like removeing it just to troll with the electric for a few hours.
Bob

Grumen
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
So you can launch a boat with a gas motor in the south forebay, but not the north. Can you launch a boat with a gas motor in the south forebay and drive it into the north forebay? If not, where is the line that separates the two?

TeleComCal
01-29-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't know iof there is a line or not, but you don't see many boats going North under the Nelson Ave bridge. Submerged pillars from an older bridge and such. So I would assume that the bridge is the cut off. You can launch a gas motor at the South area, and there is a lot of water in this area. Not many trollers during this time of year, and really during the summer and fall I did not see many either.

If anyone goes, let us know how you did.

Good luck.

Freshwater_J
01-29-2008, 03:11 PM
So A buddy and I are planning on making it out to the forebay on Thursday, if all goes as planned. Any good news lately? :-?
Most likey we will fish from the bank, and if so, what would be the best thing to use??? Please let me know, much appriciated. thank you

cgagex3
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Well Freshwater if nothing else, I did see that DFG is planting at the forebay this week.
Good luck.

CG

Trout Tracker
01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
If i am reading correct...I can launch my boat at the south area and use my gas motor to troll?
I know how to get to the afterbay off 99.
How would i grt to the south area,I would like to give it a try.
Bob

cgagex3
01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
tracker,
If you know how to get to the afterbay then you know how to get to the south area. half of the afterbay is north of 162 easier to get at from the wilbur road ramp the other half is south of 162 where the other ramp is at. I don't think that road has a name as it is just the access rd to the boat ramp parking lot. You can go back and forth under 162 at the bridge between north and south. You are clear to use your baot all the way to the bouy line at the wilbur rd ramp.
Since I am in my pontoon I don't have any experience trolling but I have come to love the afterbay. It is a bit of a ride from Galt but I have caught a fish every trip out. Once a beauty of a spawning male bow and the others the faux steelies. They have all been full tail fighters that took forever to land and if I lived closer than 95 miles I would be there every chance that I got.

CG

Trout Tracker
01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
CG.
I now understand what the south area is.I have been launching at the boat launch to the right after you cross the bridge and fish the north area more than the south.
I have gone under the bridge to the south area but haven't found the bouy lines yet or the boat launch off Wilbur.
I guess next time i go i will have to do some looking around and fish the south side maybe.
I have gone a total of 5 times and each time trolling with my favorite set up and caught fish.
And YES you are right about how they hit.Hard and aggressive and a blast to catch.I live in Sac and towing the boat it takes me close to 1 1/2 hours to get thier.
But it is well worth the drive.
Just waiting for this weather to clear up.
Maybe if you would like to try your hand at trolling we can hook up and see how you like it.
Bob

TeleComCal
01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
TroutTracker:
Are you going to the South Forebay or the Afterbay? 2 different areas that you cannot get one another from the other. Sorry, not trying to sound like Dr. Seuss.

Ok, http://www.orovilleareachamber.com/lakeoroville/images/pdf/LakeOroMap.pdf this map will show you the different areas to look. If you want to fish the Afterbay chasing the Landlocked Steelhead then the AFterbay and cg's directions work great.

If you want to troll for bows in the South Forebay Rec area, you will need to keep driving east on 162 ( from 99 ) until you come to the 18th St intersection. It is just a left hand turn ( going east ) off 162. Drive down 18th ave until you come to the stop sign at Grand Ave. Turn left. Drive about 1.5 to 2 miles to the entrance of the South Forebay Rec area. Parking is $4.00.

As for bait: Power Bait ( eggs ) work well at both. I have caught many planter on yellow or sunset eggs( Forebay ) and many steelies on white eggs ( Afterbay ). Any other questions feel free to pm me.

Not an expert by any means, but I love to fish both places. If the weather holds out and I don't hurt too bad I might try to make it out to the Forebay to fish on Thursday. If you go I will be driving a purplish color car with lettering on the back window. Haven't been lucky at the Forebay this year, but if they just planted, then the action should hold for a couple of weeks.

Good Luck.

Trout Tracker
01-30-2008, 06:36 AM
TC.
The south area that you are talking about can you use a gas engine?I would love to go Thursday but gotta work and it is suppose to rain Saturday.But i hope to get that direction soon.
I usually fish on Saturday so i can rest Sunday to get ready for the work week.
Bob

TeleComCal
01-30-2008, 12:00 PM
North Forebay Rec Area = No Powered Boats

South Forebay Rec Area = Powered Boats ok

Wilbur Rd Boat Launch Afterbay = Powered Boats ok

Larkin Rd Boat Launch/ Day Use Area Afterbay = (unimproved launching) Powered Boats ok

Monument Hill Day Use Boat Launch Afterbay = Powered Boats ok ( this is the one on the south side of 162 )

Hope this helps.

noahs_rippinlips
01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I read about the DFG going to plant stealies in afterbay last year I think and am embaressed to say I did'nt even know the afterbay was a good trout fishery untill I was bass fishing there late last year. I seen all these guys trolling and thought to myself "what the heck are they doing? As I was throwing a medium running crank under the HWY162 bridge and caught the biggest trout I have ever caught! I can't post a pic right now because I'm at work but I can when I get home.