PDA

View Full Version : bay butt fishin

okie
04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
had the opportunity to fish with sam and gerry today. net them at berk marina 630 on the water about 7. gerry cuaght a shaker around 930, i caught a 25" butt around 2030, went to loch lomund? around 1 and got some live shiners, gerry caught a 19" strip about 5 minutes after we put lines in the water at paradise cay. then nothing. got off about 7.
sam thanks for the ride, it was great fishin with you and gerry and the bs'n and meeting new sniffers.
bill

Polebrother
04-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the report...itching to get out there myself for the first time this year so really appreciate your sharing of information. Did you catch your keeper hali while trolling? If so, what set up/bait did you use? Thanks again.

okie
04-03-2009, 09:40 PM
on the troll, frozen chovie with hoochie behind flasher.

Polebrother
04-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks Okie. We successfully trolled naked frozen chovies last year. I'm definitely gonna give those hoochies a try this year.

MoMoney
04-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Well I guess I will add a little to okies post.I put up a post on HH board got 6 or 7 replies.Okie and jefe chingon were the first 2 who replied so we set up a fri trip.All of us have been on the boards a while but unknown to each other.I will fill in the little detail okie left out( to save my hide) ;D After the 2nd butt (1st keeper)there was a CC cutter hangin out in Paradise that launched a Zodiac and sure enough while we were trolling requested that they were gonna board us for a saftey inspection.Well after checking life jackets they asked for the Fire Ext so I open up the seat where it once was and low and behold cant find it anywhere.So he tells me that he will give me a citation.Ok no big deal,but then says he will escourt us back to Berkeley we cant be on the water.Now Im embarrassed, here I invited 2 people to go fishing, my boats not in order and we have to get off the water at lunchtime.After a call to the cutter from the zodiac they decided we could fish in the area while they were there and then they would take us back to Berkeley.Well gerry then got a hold of keith at Loch Lomond he didnt have an Ext but left his shop walked next door to the fuel dock store and said they had one.The CG guys said we could go get it.Keith then care fully told us how to enter the marina as it is very shallow out of the channel and we had never been there before.The other issue with the boat was the stupid sonar worked 50% of the time until 3pm then, it stayed on all day.Keith watched us come down the channel and gave gerry instr via cell on getting in.We got the FE and then decided to get some live shiners.These babies are tough.They stay on the hook and dont die easy.We only got 1 striper with the new shiners as we drifted the rest of the trip.Wel lwe stayed out past 6pm so the small 2 keeper count wasnt from lack of effort .Had a great time met 2 super nice fellow sniffers that Im sure we will fish together again if they dont mind my half workin sonar and my carelessness that led us out with no Fire Ext.but I do have one now though!!Good BSin good ribs (bill brought),and a pretty good day .To the other guys who pmd me about fishin if you can deal with all this will get out with you this season but itll be a tall order to be a better crew than I Had Friday.Thanks Guys I enjoyed your company.Samhttp://funseeker2.smugmug.com/photos/505393494_gHusZ-L.jpghttp://funseeker2.smugmug.com/photos/505393503_5vr3C-L.jpg

MoMoney
04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
My post was to long and cut some out.Anyways for the other 4 or 5 who pmed me will get out with you guys but itll be tough Matching the crew i had Friday.Thanks,guys I enjoyed your company and good humor!!Samhttp://funseeker2.smugmug.com/photos/505393503_5vr3C-L.jpghttp://funseeker2.smugmug.com/photos/505393494_gHusZ-L.jpg

okie
04-04-2009, 06:45 PM
sam, you didn't have to mention the fe, i would have never told, i just wish i had a pic of your face when you finally decided you didn't have one. if you can ever plan a 2 day trip during the week, let me know, it was fun even tho we didn't catch alot. next time we'll nail them. got that crap cut off my reel, think i'll stay with mono.
bill

MoMoney
04-04-2009, 06:54 PM
I forgot to mention that when the CG was checkin the life jackets i only had to show him 2 as Bill was wearin his.Ya never no who reads this ;)Anyways Ill see what I can do about the 2 day trip and after this busy week Im gonna have will get a new transducer if avail and see if I cant get that stupid sonar workin right.

gmdcdvm
04-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Man,
It was a great time out there. I was going to make a *long detailed post, but didn't get time until tonight. Since Okie already gave you the Cliff Notes edition I guess I don't need to.

I had a blast out there fishing. Sam and Okie are really nice guys, and we exchanged stories all day while waiting for a bite. Mo' Money is an awesome ride.

We did see about 6 to 10 other boats out there during the morning to midday, but they seemed to scatter once the tide changed. We didn't see to many nets flying out there. There was one 4 or 6 pack aluminum charter boat out there who netted what looked like it might be a keeper at about 11a.m. Heard a few radio fish, and that was it.

My shaker took a frozen anchovie rigged behing a dodger with a small bass spoon just in front of the main hook. Like Okie mentioned the keeper took the chovied rigged with an hoochie and the striper decided to munch on a live shiner.

Actually, not having a fire extinguisher wasn't to bad. It all went down right towards the slack tide, and we were able to get some live shiners out of it for bait.

Our first troll was from the Berkeley peir northwest towards southampton flats, but we didn't even get a scratched bait. We also tried difting TI and Bekeley at the end of the day, but it was dead out there. Couldn't even see any bait balls on the finder.

It was a great day, good people, good times. Catching fish was just icing on the cake.

G

p.s. Given the big tides Friday I am pleasontly suprized at the results.

MontanaN8V
04-05-2009, 01:15 AM
I fished with Okie at the last butt fest, he is good people and a lot of fun to be around. Bill, I look forward to the next time I see you buddy!

okie
04-05-2009, 02:23 PM
montana, probably be at the next butt fest if we have 1. tryin to find out when, according to kent, mid june would be best.
take care
bill

smithstation
04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
That is awesome. This is what the HH board is all about. Putting faces to names. I am glad you guys had a good and safe trip!! Congrats again on the friendships that have developed!!