PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco 12-2

fish_feeder32
12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Went to rancho seco for the firts time. The wind was very bad we were there for 5 hours and caught two limits. All on power bait and a bobber. Not bad for the first time. I think I found a new lake to fish untill pardee opens up in feb. I think I will go back out next weekend and bring the kids if the weather is good.

cgagex3
12-03-2007, 12:46 PM
FF32,
I do like to frequent Seco December - March also. It is 10 minutes from home and only costs $5 so it is pretty hard to beat. It seems like I can always count on catching fish when I go, and it is a great lake to take my pontoon or kayak out on.
Unfortunately the wind is almost a constant thing there. Because of the way the lake is situated it seems to be windy there more days than not. The good thing is you usually can go to one side of the coves or the other and find protection though.
I may run out this weekend and soak my feet and a line. Give a shout if you see the bright yellow pontoon.

CG

dave_in_el_dorado
12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
is a small jon boat w/ electric trolling motor allowed on rancho seco lake? if not i have oars. just curious.

thanks,

cgagex3
12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Dave,
Yes electric motors are fine. The lake is actually pretty good sized, there are times when the wind picks up that I wish I had one on my pontoon.

CG

B-RAN
12-03-2007, 03:33 PM
ya rancho seco is a good place for trout we went a couple of weeks ago and caught 3 limits ;D where were you guys fishing at on the lake ?

garrett_s
12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
i will be their the day of the derby
do you think you could catch fish while trolling powerbait because i will be their in my float tube

Mr._Striper
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the report!!

cgagex3
12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Guppy,
Yes I have seen it done from a tube or he bank. Another odd combo that I saw and tried last year that worked well. Take about a 1 1/2" piece of a pink power worm and thread it up the hook, then cover the barb with chartrues power bait, cast out on a 4 ft lead off a clear bobber to help with the cast distance. Real slow retrieve and it work very well.

CG

fish10plus
12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
whens the derby dates

garrett_s
12-03-2007, 08:40 PM
whens the derby dates
december 15,and 16
how many of you guys are going

B-RAN
12-03-2007, 08:52 PM
im going ;D im camping there with my buddie the following night :D im fishing with the guy who won the last derby ;D so we know what we are doing ;D

garrett_s
12-03-2007, 08:54 PM
im going ;D im camping there with my buddie the following night :D im fishing with the guy who won the last derby ;D so we know what we are doing ;D
how big was his fish?

B-RAN
12-03-2007, 09:06 PM
5 and 7 pounds ;D

HillBillyFish
12-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I went to Seco last week and did pretty well, I went to that first wooden ramp as you enter to the left, floated powerbaits and crawlers with eggs and caught 5 nice ones, biggest was 2 lbs..smallest about 15 inches ..nice lake to fish...but a little windy...

gills
12-04-2007, 06:57 AM
I use to frequent this lake weekly, but havent been there in a while, due to Salmon fishing and Amador. But it sounds like I should be planning a visit to Rancho Seco.

Gills

cgagex3
12-04-2007, 08:27 AM
That's me too Gills, I haven't been there since probably May last year and it only takes me 10 minutes to get there. I may have to make a trip over for fun this weekend. Got to mix it in with going up to get the Christmas tree so I don't know the day yet.
I don't hink I want to brave the derby again on the following weekend. That reminds me of combat fishing on the dock at Pardee or Amador.

CG

garrett_s
12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
i might be there this friday around 12 in the afternoon

Dan_O
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Biggest bass I ever saw in person came out of that lake several years ago...over 13 lbs. The guy had a couple other nice ones too. Sorry to say that he kept them. Shoved them into a plastic trash bag to take home...too bad....
I wonder if it still has some big bass in it?

Kneedeep
12-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Biggest bass I ever saw in person came out of that lake several years ago...over 13 lbs. *The guy had a couple other nice ones too. *Sorry to say that he kept them. *Shoved them into a plastic trash bag to take home...too bad....
I wonder if it still has some big bass in it?
Oh yes, there are some monsters in there. I've had on several occasions 10 plus pound Bass try to inhale trout on my line that were 3lbs and larger. Each time this happened it was at the pump on the east side of the swim beach. I would hook the trout on cast masters and then see a large shadow move in on the trout. When I got a good look at the bass I was shocked at the size. I slowed on the retrieve in hopes the bass would take the trout head first and get hooked. The bass knocked the trout out of the water a couple times when it was struggling really hard, but when I backed off and the trout free swam the bass lost interest. I'm gonna try a couple swim baits and Lyman's out of my raft next time out there.

dave_in_el_dorado
12-04-2007, 06:01 PM
and everybody is sure those big ol cooling towers and attached facility have nothing to do with the huge panfish and bass in the lake :o

seriously, thats a great story kneedeep, and big swimbaits popped into my head before i got there reading yer post.

keller235
12-04-2007, 06:32 PM
*There used to be big Red Ear Sunfish in there too.

Actually HUGE would be the right word! ;) :)

I was hoping to go tomorrow, but it might have to be Thursday now, we shall see.

fish10plus
12-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Lake record is around 18-19lbs by a man by the name of fishcris. Might have pics of it on his site still. this is the link of the fish :o :o :o :o :o http://www.trophybassonly.com/id155_my_18_4.htm

gills
12-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Ok I did it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yanked the outboard off of the back of the boat, and took out the fuel tank... Headed to Rancho Seco for a few hours. Launched at the first boat at launch about 9:30 am.

Trolled white grubs with lime green power eggs over to the second boat launch area cove lots of bankies there for nothing man I started to get a bad vibe, tried everything switched over to crankin for bass all over the lake my f7 rapala wasnt even producing.. I was thinking what the heck is going on?

Then we head back to the east cove by the second launch about 1:00 pm skunk was still in the boat couldnd throw that sucker off the boat.
Then my partner Ernesto yells FISH ON !!!!! YESSSSS!!! after that it was on I found the boils we used clear water bobbers with a 2ft leader behind a swivel with a white grub and a lime green power egg smeared in Pro Cure Trout flavor..

We bagged 6 fish from 1:00 till 2:00 off water at 2:00pm..My cell phone took a crap and is not functioning so I didnt take pics..(SORRY)

Trout derby next weekend for those interested !!!!!!!

GILLS

bass_attack
12-09-2007, 12:20 PM
glad u caught something...i was out there yesterday morning banking and was skunk. me and my buddies left and drop by elk grove pond and manage to catch 6 trout there better then seco

89_invader
12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Trolling power bait from tube. not as affective as casting flies. olive, black or a combonation of both colors seem to work well. Either use a fly rod or the clear bubble with about a 6 foot leader reeling slow. Works everytime for me. Or the same set up with a white, orange, or pink power worm White zonkers work well out there as well.