PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Ring Classic

overthehill
11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I just went out and bought three wedding ring classic lures because from the posts that they work well at del Valle. They look like you can make them yourself but I was wondering if once the leader is worn do you modfiy the hooksize and the leader. Any suggestions on color, test strength, hooksize.

Thanks

billfisher
11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I replace the leader and hooks regularly based upon the place, the size of the trout I am fishing for, and the size of the bait (worm, mini crawler, nightcrawler, etc.). I also like to know the leader is fresh. The stock leader that comes with the standard is a bit heavy for many places. Some of the tackle shops sell the components separately so you can make them up the way you want from the start each place you go. Best color also varies from place to place and from day to day. When using them I usuallly will try one red and one green at the same time on different poles to see what the fish prefer. Sometimes a different color or size blade also makes a difference. I don't know about which might be best at del Valle.

I once watched a buddy catch a limit of trout at Blue lake (Modoc County) on a bare hooked Wedding Ring rig. I had previosly just thought of them as an attractor for trolling worms, but this made me remember that they are basically just an old fashioned spinner that you can add bait to if you like.

Good fishing.

metalmouth
11-30-2007, 03:08 PM
I really like the smile blade design over the standard spinner blade. I order the smile blades directly from Macks the Mfg. and use them on my Kokanee Hoochies.

HOOF
11-30-2007, 03:56 PM
I make all my own wedding rings.I get the blades thru cabelas and the beads I get at a craft store.-Alot cheaper to make myself and I can come up with crazy color variations

billfisher
11-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, if you make your own versions you can get pretty creative and its always more fun to catch a fish on something you dreamed up. You can also add weight to your rigs without having separate weight on the line by using glass beads and/or metal beads or even painting up (that glitter filled nail polish works well) some barrel sinkers to use in the middle of the beads, etc. Then you can add whatever kind of spinner shape, color, size that looks good with what you come up with. During the cold winter evenings you can have some fun making these things up and dreaming about how great they are going to work when you get to try them out. ::)

Old_School
11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
spec for del valle 6 to 8 lb floro or mono works good. I always change out the line. I'm thinking a size six hook would be about right. I like the stock size, however, I hooked into a nice fish not long ago there and it snapped the stock hook in half. I forget the brand. Maybe it was a fluke.

Jetspray
11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
I have boxes full of them in every color Mac makes. Just like MM says the smile blades seem to be the best. I use them on topline rigs as well as DR rigs and do well with both. You can put plastics or live bait on them to give a little more zip to the presentation, but they will work by themselves....Jetspray

Troutski
11-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I really like the smile blade design over the standard spinner blade. I order the smile blades directly from Macks the Mfg. and use them on my Kokanee Hoochies.

Smile Blades...??? What is a smile blade ?

Chuck

Jetspray
11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
It kinda looks like a smile face on. It is made of plastic and has a center hole to place the line through. You can purchase these alone through Cabela's. They are very reflective and move differently than the usual spoons that most lures have....Jetspray

metalmouth
11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
http://www.mackslure.com/cw2/Assets/product_full/smileblades.jpg

tragedyspring
12-01-2007, 01:37 AM
red seems to work best at del valle. or red/orange with a gold hammered blade for overcast days. green- no good. only use green with kastmasters and humdingers and the like. add a mini crawler to your wedding rings for more strikes.Ill be there on sunday so look for a red boat with four guys in it.

Mr_Ed
12-01-2007, 08:58 AM
I did not know you could fish a W/R with out worms !! ?? :o :o

;D ;D ;D

tragedyspring
12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
you could troll a boot if you like..... ;D

tdekens
12-07-2007, 06:36 AM
I used to use orange and sometimes green. My wife was coming up late to go camping with us and I told her to stop by the bait store to get some more. She brought me up some but said they had ran out and this one looked cute so she bought it. It was a half orange and half green. Now, it is my best color to use for trout. I usually troll them naked. If I add something to them it is usually a rolled up ball of power bait that I reshape into a "superaerodynamicallyteardropshape" on the hook. Works like magic. I dont even put corn on them for kokes and I seldom even put a piece of worm.
2Shakes

Seon
12-07-2007, 07:02 AM
you could troll a boot if you like..... ;D

Too funny but I tried that once and only got one stinking carp about a foot long *;D *;D

fish_lips
12-07-2007, 07:33 AM
I have boxes full of every type of wedding rings. My dads buddy is a tester for Mac's.