PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake?

fishinator
12-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Just checking to see if anyone has been out to Folsom Lake lately. Can you still launch a boat and has the lake turned over? I remember doing pretty well from the bank with kastmasters when the lake turns over. Of course, there was a whole lot more water in there. :-[

Fishinator

n2trout
12-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Heard a rumor that the area around Granite Bay was producing some good sized trout right now. I was told they were using minnows from shore. If you can launch at Granite Bay I would try trolling Rapalas around that area. Good luck to you.

Mr._Striper
12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I guess I need to get out there ;)

jxpearce
12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Don't wait too long. By my calculations, if they keep lowering the lake level six inches a day, and we don't have any rain, the low water ramp will close in 3 - 4 weeks.

jxpearce
12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Thought I'd do a little research. I love Folsom lake - nice and quiet, and if you're not going to catch a 20 lb salmon or striper, then a batch of 15 inch trout or salmon are a very nice dinner. And, what a relaxing place to fish, as long as the Sac State Aquatic group isn't banging up the fishermen with their bladder ski boats.

Someone posted that the lake was at its lowest ten years ago, when Mormon Island surfaced. I checked the official lake level site and here are the stats:

year lowest level turnaround
1988 354 Nov 23
1990 352 Feb 1
1992 355 Dec 4
1994 365 Dec 4
2007 375 ?

About 364 feet the low water ramp at Granite Bay is unusable, so we have a few more weeks of ramp if no rain comes.

Fish on!

JJJ-Mo
12-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Drove out there the other day to check things out. The ramp at salmon falls road is nowhere near the water. Also it was so muddy within 10-15 feet of the water that you couldn't really get close enough to shore fish except from the rocks. The only people I saw catching anything were some Russian guys fishing for carp. They can have all of those they want. *;D

The lake is LOW in the extreme. At the granite bay ramp area there is the low water ramp set up where you can launch, but it is way out there.....normally you'd be 30 feet or more under water where the ramp is set up.

While no one was catching anything while I was out there, it WAS kind of cool to scope out some spots that are normally submerged. I took out a topo map and marked off some spots to keep in mind when the water level returns to normal.

Be careful driving around off the beaten track, park staff were out in force, and there was a 4x sunk to the axels in the mud.

wmgraphics
12-06-2007, 03:00 PM
No kidding, those bass guys should be out there with the gps and a digital camera taking shots of all that exposed structure for next years tournaments. :o

B-RAN
12-06-2007, 03:55 PM
ya i heard the fastest you can go around the whole lake is 5mph. :( good trolling speed but that shows us how low it is