PDA

View Full Version : Skunkfest '07 Quarries, Don Castro, & Chabot

office_pirate79
12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
...in that order. Future father in-law and I didn't feel like going far from home on Saturday, so our quest began at the Quarries. Fished from 7:00-9:30 for a big fat zero. A couple guys trolling caught 2 pretty much right in front of us. ONE guy on the bank was nailed 3 in a fairly short amount of time. Other than that, it was a goose egg for the rest of us bankies, so we decided to split.

Grabbed some burgers on the way out to Don Castro (you gotta love burgers for breakfast) and got there at about 10:30. Saw a few guys on the dock packing it up and talked to them for a bit. Turns out they just came from the quarries too and ended up with nada so they were headed to Chabot. We got our lines in and then attacked some burgers. Another guy joined us on the dock and he had just come from the Quarries as well...this was getting weird. Another strike at Don Castro, so we headed to Chabot.

Got to Cha-blew-it at about 12:00. Didn't fee like walking so we set up shop on the first dock (left side). The wind picked up pretty good at that point. Zippo for 2 hours. We packed up at 2:00 and called it a day.

Zero fish, but we sure as hell made use of those permits! Tight lines everyone ;)

OP

Captain Compassion
12-03-2007, 12:48 PM
...in that order.

It only means that there are better days in the future bit you were fishing so it couldn't have been all that bad. 8-)

CC

Tigerfox
12-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Sorry that you had a bad day of fishing. we all have them from time to time. So with that said I will play the devel's advocate with ya for a second.

First of all, as you know. Fishing takes a little luck. And for trout the right water temp and the correct bait that they want to eat. So I won't go into how to pick, because at times I have the same problems (others catching around me, and me catching nothing). But everyone has been there. Atleast you weren't working!!!!!

You said there were people catching fish, but not many. To me it says the lake hasn't turned over yet. Due to the not so cold weather in the bay area. give it a little more time and with a storm on the way it will trigger the fish to bit.

Next you went to castro way after the bite. I've fished that lake for 30 years and the best time is in the morning and in the evening. Next time if you go back after the morning you should try going to the pond on the other side of the dam. Use lures due to all the rocks. And going tothe back near the narrow inlet is the best spot. The water seems to cooler in the back.

The same goes with Chabot. The morning and the evenings are best. But you'll need to walk a distance to get there. Somewhere posted in these forum is a link to the East Bay Regional Parks 'Hot Bite' page. Another member posted it and it said, Indian Point was the best spot to go. Alder is another good spot. But again, it's a jaunt to get there.

I have no info on the Quarries. Only what I have read here. And I thought it was hitting pretty hard. And why there were alot of people there, I'm asuming.

You could have gone thru what I did on Friday. I was at Shadow Cliffs for an hour on the second dock. Another guy came up(a yuppy) and caught a fish in TWO minutes. I told him I was gonna throw him in if he caught another one. I got skunked and he caught another one right before he left. But I did gather some info from his actions on where to fish next and what to fish with. I also got a new style of setting up my line from him. So to me I may have gotten skunked this time, But next time I should have a better chance.

Godd luck next time, and tight lines

office_pirate79
12-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom guys! I told my partner "Well, this just means that we're going to catch at least 50 fish on our next trip." ;D. I'm not too familiar with Don Castro, but I do know that Chabot (as with most lakes) shuts down in the afternoon. So I wasn't counting on much. I guess I was just hoping that the fish gods would shine their mercy down upon us ;D.

And BELIEVE me, I am NOT complaining. We fished for 7 hours, got skunked, and I loved every minute of it. Oh well, lesson learned.

CC-I'll probably be fishing vicariously through your reports for a little while! ;D

OP

Tigerfox
12-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Well I'm glad you took it the right way. I wasn't trying to discourage you or tell you that you were complaining. Just wanted to give you a heads up for the next time.

I know at times I need a little redirecting. So good luck and here's to bobber movement

fishmaster
12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
OFFICE PIRATE next time go to del valle. inflated nightcrawlers at the swim area. dont cast out too far there is a small channel right off shore about 30-40 ft out. good luck!!

tragedyspring
12-04-2007, 09:21 PM
yes fishmaster! del valle is hot hot hot right now. dont stray too far from the launch ramp and youll be into fish., even all the bankers were pulling in limits this past weekend.

B-RAN
12-04-2007, 09:28 PM
man that sucks :-/ but burgers are always good after fishing ;D

office_pirate79
12-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I totally dug what you were saying tigerfox, so no worries & no redirection needed! To you, I say "Cheers!" :D. You'd have to go pretty far before I started taking things the wrong say (i.e.-"I'm sorry you got skunked OP! I'd blame it on all the drugs your mom did when she was pregnant with you" or something ridiculous like that). I can tell you right now that there's only ONE Sniffer who's rubbed me the way...he'll remain nameless on account of him being a FS super hero.

Any whooz, thanks for the info on DV...I definitely want to check it out. For all of the driving around we did, we might as well have gone there in the first place. I don't know why DV never crosses our minds. When we do make our way out there, I hope my report sounds just a bit different than this one.

OP