PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info on topaz lake

hookeyjaw
11-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I was wondering where this lake is, what to use, boat or shore?

Captain Compassion
11-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I was wondering where this lake is, what to use, boat or shore?

Topaz Lake id located on the California/Nevada border 30 miles south of Gardnerville Nv on US 395. The fishing season runs from Jan 1 - Sept 30. I'm not all that knowledgable about this water (yet). Perhaps Topaz Tom or Troutfan, who are experts can chime in.

CC

fish_feeder32
11-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I have always had best luck from the shore my self using a sliding sinker rig with 30 inches of leader. The best bait for me has always been jumbo crawlers floated and injected with garlic scent. Every time i fish this lake i catch my limit. This is one of my favorite lakes when i am in that part of the state.

troutfan
11-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Well I'm going to have to take lessons from Fishfeeder because I don't catch my limit every time! ;D *I do catch some nice trout there from time to time. *I have found that these Topaz trout like the baby crawlers better than the big ones. *Pump them up and put a power egg or a marshmallow on the hook with them. If you use a marshmallow you don't have to pump them up. *The mallow floats the bait. *Power bait works well too. *Early in the year the shore fishing can actually be better than trolling. *I believe this is because of the cold water temps the fish are somewhat lethargic and with bait they have more of a chance to inspect and take the bait. * Trolling can be great with small Rapalas, Flies and flashers or Dodgers and worms. *This lake has some decent size Rainbow, Bowcutt and some Tiger trout. *They are all like wild fish because DFG plants them as sub-catchables thus allowing them to grow full-finned, beautifully colored trout.
This is my buddy Jim with some of our trout from opening day last year.
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1820/img0421480x360oa2.jpg
Me with a nice Bowcutt caught the second week of January

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9619/img0430480x360aa5.jpg

Captain Compassion
11-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Well I'm going to have to take lessons from Fishfeeder because I don't catch my limit every time! ;D ]

I knew you would come through Troutfan. I love the Bowcutt. I'll take 5 to go please. ;D

CC

fish_feeder32
11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey trout fan the only problem is. I am going to have to learn how to troll this lake. ;) every time i troll this lake all i catch is those nasty squaw fish. But every time i anker up or bank it and fish bait and cast lures i catch them. One day i will learn how to troll this lake the right way. As for catching my limit every time. I am no expert on this lake just very lucky i guess. I have only been there about four or five times and just got lucky. ;D ;D ;D Maybe i will run into you out there sometime and you can give me some tips on trolling this lake. ;) ;). well i hope i can get up there next season at least. ;D. Fish_feeder32

troutfan
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I'll be up there quite often, sometimes in a boat mostly from shore since it's the closest lake to my house.(20 miles)

fish_feeder32
11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Hey trout fan I have a question. Someone told me there is bass in topaz. is this true?

troutfan
11-28-2007, 03:38 PM
There are some LM Bass in Topaz. They were introduced probably from the Cooling ponds in Yerington and there must have been a limited spawn. I've seen guys out there targeting them in the Spring but the only one I've ever seen was caught by a guy on shore fishing a worm. It was 5lb.

fish_feeder32
11-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Thank you for the anser to my question. looks like im bringing some bass lures next time. ;)

hookeyjaw
11-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. looks like january sometime ill be headed out there. California side or nevada side? Mabye I ll see some sniffers out there

Captain Compassion
11-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. *looks like january sometime ill be headed out there. *California side or nevada side? *Mabye I ll see some sniffers out there

Count on seeing the Captain. Like Troutfan Topaz is a local dunk for me. I'm not sure where I'll fish. Last spring I was a new kid in town and didn't start fishing the lake until mid March. I fished on the Nevada side near the county park. I caught a few but they were only small stockers. This year I'll fish the California side perhaps below the inspection station. Maybe Troutfan will adopt me and show me where the big fish are. :)

CC

hunkfisher
11-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey ill be there that is depending on the extra curricular activities on the night prior ;D, might just pull an all nighter lol, CC ill let you know if there are no positive signs of the metalheads on the American and Moke rivers then ill be there for sure 8-), like CC said Troutfan might be able to enlighten us a bit!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

troutfan
11-29-2007, 03:35 AM
Just be warned guys that Topaz isn't Amador. Sometimes she gives up her treasures and other times she just laughs in your face. ;D

Captain Compassion
11-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Just be warned guys that Topaz isn't Amador. *Sometimes she gives up her treasures and other times she just laughs in your face. * ;D

One of the only thing in life that one can ask for is opportunity. Topaz laughed in my face multiple times last spring. Now I'm looking for payback.

CC

Mr_Ed
11-29-2007, 10:31 AM
I am still learning Topaz.............

I have had good luck the first part of the season when they are all bumb and hungry.

Also later in the year when the water warms up to around 58 degrees
when ever that is...........c/o trolling.

One lure you should have in the box is a Rapala...........

anything else is a "maybe"......... ;D ;D ;D

Later Ed

troutfan
11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Trolling Wooley buggers and jay fair flys will outfish Rapalas and Worms on many occasions! ;)