PDA

View Full Version : Most hardy trout?

mtalley
11-23-2007, 11:33 AM
I was wondering what species of trout can survive the warmest water and what is the temp? I would think that it is the rainbow because that it was the DFG plants in our low elevation lakes. I am wondering about trout that are in California but not just the natives. Thanks.

metalmouth
11-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I would think you would be correct with the Rainbow. Warmer water implies more vegetation growth so less oxygen in the water. Usually when we see large fish die offs in our lakes in the summer. The highest death rate seems to be the Cutthroat and Cutbow and many less of the Rainbow.

TroutBum01
11-23-2007, 12:31 PM
The plain and simple answer to your question is it depends. Rainbows for the most part are very sensitive to environmental factors. The main reason the dfg stocks them in most low elevations lakes is because they are easy to raise in a hatchery setting. The strain of the fish is also a factor. A coastal strain rainbow compared to say and Eagle lake strain rainbow well react very different to certain environmental factors such as water temp or dissolved oxygen present.

TroutBum01
11-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Just a side note, Deschutes River steelhead have been found surviving in water as warm as 76 degrees. Not ideal conditions but they are able to stay alive. That is about the upper temperature tolerance for any trout species.